Latest ski & tourism news

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

#1 Ramenman, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  2. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete Addicted

The biggest hurdles will be land ownership and ticket prices. I would think they will need to target a single resort location such as Aria but as soon as ticket prices increase they will lose vast majority of Japanese visitors which is still a huge contributor to income, at least where I ride.

Ramenman likes this.
  3. crackson

crackson A Local
    Ski Pass: Gold

Don't let them.

[​IMG]

Froff Life likes this.
  4. Any

Any One of Us

as much as everyone loves to hate monopolies, Vail actually put money back into the resorts they own and boosts the local economy with new tourism.

most locations ive skied in Japan have 60 year old fixed grip chairlifts that have terribly designed lift placement that don't compliment eachother, the hill, or suffer badly from wind. not to mention the almost nonexistent facilities on the hill.
    while the land-of-the-rising-bureaucracy is not likely to let them cut down trees and build new stuff anytime soon, at least they might replace/upgrade the existing infrastructure.

one by one the small local ski fields are dying off because of their exclusive customer base of aging Japanese local population is no longer keeping them afloat. grinding harder and harder stubbornly using a no longer working business model doesn't mean you'll achieve better results.
    I don't know much about the inner workings, and i love to rag on Kiroro's management, but Kiroro a good example. >5 years ago I'd ski there and be the only westerner among the 20-30 other skiers there (on weekdays). now its in the top 5 shortlist of destinations tourists want to ski in Hokkaido. they completely changed up management (and ownership i believe), made (and still make) a bunch of embarrassing and/or frustrating decisions, but the rest of the stuff they've done has certainly worked.
    im sad that my secret easily access powder fields are no longer a secret, but its is outweighed by happiness that they are succeeding, not becoming yet another abandoned dead ski resort, and maybe adding new stuff eventually. because of their success nearby ski fields are back on the map for tourists now too, and new tourism based companies are popping up everywhere to fill the gaps.
    sure money is going overseas now to some taiwanese(?) dude and his shareholders, but the total money and tax revenue in the region has still increased.

whenever i see people objecting to the sale of a ski resort i cant help but think that their primary motivation is selfishness at losing their own secret easily accessed powder field like i did.

regarding ticket prices. whilst i fully admit Vail resorts day passes are usually ripoff territory, their season pass is half that of most other resorts ive skiied at, and i'd bet those locals who almost exclusively keep those local ski fields open are already buying season passes anyway.
    if you're gonna ski more than 3 days at any Vail resort its almost always better to buy a season pass. season passes cant be purchased after a certain date (nov sometime i think) but I reckon 99% of tourists have already plans in mind before such a date. otherwise I guess those day trippers use those 25% discounts available at rental stores n stuff?

LMB, skiflat, Froff Life and 2 others like this.
  5. crackson

crackson A Local

6. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

New Ski-in Ski-out luxury condominium Yu Kiroro and its new gondola station.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joe, Mark*V and crackson like this.
  7. Any

Any One of Us

[​IMG]
    lol
    whoever creates Kiroro media just went up +10 points.
    also +2 points for the dude holding the line mordecai's. i like them skis

Ramenman likes this.
  8. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

[​IMG]

skiflat likes this.
  9. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Which places have you skied in Japan? I'd be interested to know which places you've skied have the worst infrastructure.
    Most of the places I ski in central Japan have a mix of ancient and newer lifts, many of the newer ones detachables.

There's not much large tree clearing in central Japan these days, but quite a lot of in between smaller tree clearing. Probably to make things more attractive for OS riders.

10. Sandy

To sing it's praises? ;)

Mike Pow likes this.
  11. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Haha, I remember someone called Arai "Aria" last year as well:nerd:

12. skichanger

skichanger A Local

We went to Arai on Friday. It was a very surreal experience. We wanted to have a coffee. There were lots of staff , maybe 4 other people that were not staff and it was not possible to get a coffee. We parked in the car park, not easy to get into the actual hotel and facilities. We had to hunt a round for the entrance which was not obvious or welcoming. So loser for them for any out of winter business.

Tanuki and Ramenman like this.
  13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again

I went a couple of months ago. Same experience. Parking a long way away. It was a ghost town apart from staff.

Made an appointment with their head of marketing. After I'd arrived he claimed that I didn't have an appointment with him and that he was busy. Eventually relented and said he would see me but was distinctly disinterested and non-friendly. Didn't offer me any info, handouts or a tour of any type. So I won't be going out of my way anymore to give them a push. I would've thought they'd be a little more enthusiastic to get more business in.

skiflat and Ramenman like this.
  14. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I think major ski resorts in Hokkaido are not targeting Japanese any longer. Most Japanese spend three days = Friday to Sunday or Saturday to Monday at each ski resort, and Hokkaido is too far for three days. For foreign tourists, once they fly to Japan, Hokkaido or Honshu doesn't matter, they simply go to ski resorts where they are interested in skiing. Ski resorts in Central Honshu rely on Japanese visitors the most. Tokyo area, Osaka area and Nagoya area are the three most populated areas of Japan and Central Honshu ski resorts are close enough for weekend skiing for the people from Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya area, so Japanese visitors are still a huge contributor to income. Tohoku is a bit different. Seen from Osaka area and Nagoya area, Tohoku is far. So ski resorts in Tohoku need to rely on visitors from abroad more than ski resorts in Central Honshu do. Recently, Asian tourists have been helping ski resorts and local airports in Tohoku during winter. I sometimes see more Taiwanese than Japanese in Fukushima and Yamagata on weekdays.

Lucky Pete and Mike Pow like this.
  15. skichanger

skichanger A Local

The other thing the resort developers need to understand is that many people want more than just what the big hotel provides. They want the little bars, restaurants and similar things provided by locals living there. Some want the samll personla accommodation etc. And all the people involved in these things help market the area so the resort is not alone in the marketing effort. So some of the big resorts need to realise those small businesses compliment rather than compete.

Sometimes I feel like I am beating my head against a brick wall with this stuff though. But some get it. Madarao is so different from Mt Myoko. Even though we are competing with the resort owned accommodation they understand that we will help them promote the resort and to survive.

Ramenman, Mike Pow and Any like this.
  16. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

My observation of skiing in Japan is that it was crying out for one of the big resorts to get bought out by a big foreign operator ie Vail, Compagnie des Alpes and now Alterra.

cornice11 likes this.
  17. crackson

crackson A Local

Which resort has the best cosplay?

Kletterer likes this.
  18. Any

Any One of Us

lol if Vail buys a Japanese ski resort it's gonna need a Mascot.
    unfortunately the best option of a skiing potato is already taken.

crackson and skifree like this.
  19. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Geto Kogen has announced they will expand tree run zones further in 2018 -19 season.

Tanuki, Zimbooo and Tonester like this.
  20. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture

I think skiing corn has been taken too.

21. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Don't laugh but we had guys outside our lodge last season filming and photographing cosplay. They stay next door and do all sorts of stuff in various costumes. The turned the end of the road into a castle, dug a cave etc. We were a bit stressed in case the stayed out overnight. The snow plough guy would have run them over without knowing they were there.

crackson likes this.
  22. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

The vale Rusutsu uploaded a new video.

23. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture

Maybe I'm a hater. .. But that looks incredibly wanky.

Froff Life, M_G and Ramenman like this.
  24. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Vail almost purchased Kiroro last winter.

Ramenman likes this.
  25. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Very well made but once again doesn't speak to their primary market - never evers to intermediate skiers & snowboarders in a family group.
    Fail

Sandy likes this.
  26. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room

Wow interesting!!!

Mike Pow likes this.
  27. Sandy

I was going to say that it tells you realistically about the availability of powder at Rusutsu, but nothing about what everybody else does....

Mike Pow likes this.
  28. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Please tell the CEO of Vail to purchase both Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai:nerd:!. Kiroro = Red A. Sapporo Kokusai = Red B. Red + Yellow + Blue = :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    [​IMG]

LMB and Froff Life like this.
  29. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

We (former head of Ski Ops Ian MacKenzie and I) tried for many years to convince the current owners (Property Perfect) but unfortunately it fell on deaf ears:(

It would jump to No. 1 on Hokkaido overnight.

Great day tour though :)

LMB and Ramenman like this.
  30. M_G

But people like all of us regular posters here would not be their target market. :p

Ramenman likes this.
  31. M_G

:eek: Imagine the kerfuffle that would cause... :cry:

32. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Yep, New Kiroro would jump to No.1 in Japan!. I hope someone will invest and make "New Kiroro" = Kiroro + Sapporo Kokusai + Mt.Yoichidake + Mt.Shiraidake + Mt.Asaridake. Not only its snow quality and its size, but also the location is very nice. Otaru is very popular for Asian tourists, and Kiroro is very close to Otaru. Sapporo Kokusai is close to Jozankei Onsen village. I like mountain stream fishing in Jozankei area. So if I have a lodge there, I can enjoy golfing, hiking, fishing in Jozankei and Otaru, etc in green season, and ski at New Kiroro in winter:nerd: http://jozankei.jp/en/
    [​IMG]

33. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Asahikawa airport will expand next year to accept rapidly increasing number of tourists from abroad. The image below is the new terminal building for international flights. It's still under construction now. More and more international flights will come to Asahikawa airport after the new terminal opens. It'll be mostly for Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, Singaporean, Thai, etc, though.
    [​IMG]

34. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local

Will make access to Furano & surrounding resorts even easier if flying Australia - Asia - Asahikawa!

LMB, azzski, Mike Pow and 1 other person like this.
  35. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Rumours that Sapporo city is selling Sapporo Kokusai.

Bed base in Jozankei.

36. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

To whom?. Property Perfect, the Thai companyLOL!?

37. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Unfortunately not :(

38. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local

But seriously, it really could be a world class resort if both were combined and modernised. Plus, as stated above with the proximity to Otaru etc.

Ramenman and Mike Pow like this.
  39. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

And Jozankei.
    Big bed base, onsens, and easy train access to Sapporo.

Ramenman and Tanuki like this.
  40. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

First Cabin will open in Kutchan on November 22nd . It might be good for the people who are looking for very reasonable accommodation. It's not very near ski resorts but there are shuttle bus services to ski resorts, Kutchan station and New Chitose airport. It's only 6,000 or 7,000 Yen per night. First Cabin : https://first-cabin.jp/en/

This is where First Cabin Niseko will open. It has a parking lot, so you can park there. It has onsen, restaurant, etc as well.
    https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/1+Chome-46-1+Minami+11+Jōnishi,+Kutchan-chō,+Abuta-gun,+Hokkaidō+044-0045/@42.8673285,140.6841195,13z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x5f0ab0a0a2d9790f:0x84454b9e8ef2bac2!8m2!3d42.8887171!4d140.7505521
    [​IMG]

#40 Ramenman, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    croanster and Mike Pow like this.
  41. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Otaru - Kiroro - Jozankei - Sapporo area is very potential. Actually, rich Asian already have started investing in Jozankei as well. I saw some hotels under construction this summer and one of them is a new onsen hotel by a mountain stream that a Hong Kong based company will open next spring. This is the hotel. The name "Jozankei Ryokan" is a provisional name, though.
    [​IMG]

That area is like a heaven for someone like me who likes skiing, fishing and golfing. Jozankei Onsen area has beautiful mountain streams good for trout fishing. Otaru and Sapporo are very close, so you can enjoy offshore boat fishing in Ishikari Bay as well. One of the streams where we fish delicious rainbow trouts. Autumn is a lot more beautiful, though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  42. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Fantastic.

Yes one of my favourite areas.

And Lake Shikotsu just over the mountain pass.

Ramenman likes this.
  43. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

44. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local

Jozankei Onsen looks like the perfect day trip for my mother and auntie when we are staying in Sapporo. I can go ski Kokusai and they can relax in a mountain onsen!

Tanuki, Mike Pow and Ramenman like this.
  45. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Speaking of airports in Hokkaido, New Chitose Airport will have a bigger expansion than Asahikawa Airport in 2019 and 2020. The size of the terminal building will double. The current one is 61,000 square meters and it will become 124,000 square meters. The new terminal building will have a luxury hotel targeting foreign tourists. Not only that, it'll have one more runway for international flights. Now, one of runways at New Chitose Airport is exclusively used by Japan's Self-Defense Forces, but it will be used for international flights as well. The new terminal building will open partially in August 2019 and the full open is in 2020. This is the new terminal building under construction.
    [​IMG]

There isn't an island like Hokkaido in Asia, and the population of East Asia is bigger than 2 billions. More and more people in Asia have started earning enough to travel abroad, and more and more tourists from East Asia will come to Hokkaido, so both Asahikawa Airport and New Chitose Airport are having very big expansions now.
    [​IMG]

46. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

About Kiroro again. I've been reading papers that Property Perfect made about their new investments, but 99% is written in Thai, so I can't understand. This says "lift to top of the mountain", but really?
    [​IMG]

This says "gondola & chair lift station", so it's a hybrid one like The Village Express at Niseko.
    [​IMG]

Mike Pow likes this.
  47. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

A chondola - chair and gondola hybrid - which goes from The Kiroro to the base of Kiroro ski area.

Any and Ramenman like this.
  48. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I thought so, nothing interesting for me if they install the chondola. Any upgrades to the ski hill, not hotels at Kiroro for 2018 - 19 season?

49. Sandy

Hey Mike, so to ski back to The Kiroro, you'd have to ski around the carpark? And the chondola drops you where you can ski straight onto another lift?
    Oh, and I guess it will be finished for the season start?

50. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

essjaywhy likes this.