1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Latest ski & tourism news

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

I hope the 3 yes's become offical and it happens!!!
    This would be a big change from having to close Nekoma 2 days per week during the best part of the season.

2. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I hope so too. By the way, this is a video filmed between Nekoma and Alts(somewhere along the black lines) Yesterday.

pedub, nanami_JS, bluestick and 6 others like this.
  3. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

Snow looks great!!!!!

Ramenman and crackson like this.
  4. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

@Ramenman you said you noticed a lot more gaijin in your area this winter.
    I know of a accommodation provider/agent who had a package of 3 nights accommodation (twin share) at Bandaisan Onsen Hotel, 3 buffet breakfasts, 3 days lift pass at Alts/Nekoma, free transport between Alts and Nekoma = total price per person Y24,500!!!!!!!
    Also had 5 night package (with all the same inclusions each day) for Y42,000 per person!!
    That's amazing value for the quality of the hotel / food / service etc.

Tanuki and Ramenman like this.
  5. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Haha, my family own lodges in Tohoku and I personally own a lodge at Urabandai highalnd jointly with friends from a ski club of a university in Tokyo, so I don't often pay for accomodation in Tohoku, but you can make Tohoku trip very cheap easily. 5000 Yen per night is very easy to find. This one opened in the region (near Mt.Minowa) last November, targeting mainly tourists from abroad and the cheapest one is 3500 Yen per night. https://yumori-hostel.jp/en/about/

Most roads higher than 800m above sea level in Tohoku are closed in winter, and most Onsen Ryokans higher than 800m above sea level are closed in winter, but they have minimum number of staff to clear the snow, look after onsen facilities, etc during winter, and some of them let you stay at the hotel even when the Onsen Ryokans are officially closed. I mean, if they have 12 workers during green season, they have only two or three in wintertime, so you need to do everything by yourself. They let you use the kitchen, so you need to bring foods to cook there, but what makes it great is, 10000 - 12000 Yen Onsen Ryokan can become 3000 - 4000 Yen per night and in many cases, you are the only "guests", so you might feel like it's your lodge:p. The problem is you need to hike for one hour or even more(You need to hike on the closed road).

fennekeg, Pink and Zimbooo like this.
  6. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Speaking of Bandaisan Onsen Hotel, they have some good services. A shuttle bus to Izakayas in the downtown of Aizu Wakamatsu city every night, first ride(the people who stay at the hotel can use the lifts earlier than the official opening hour), Aizu region's local sake tasting(Aizu region is very famous for sake breweries, and the hotel explain each sake of Aizu region for you every night). The picture below is the service.
    [​IMG]

The region has good izakayas.
    [​IMG]

You can make Aizu region's traditional tea by yourself(choose ingredients and make your original Aizu tea)
    [​IMG]

You can make Aizu region's traditional handicrafts.
    [​IMG]

I've stayed at the hotel twice, and I saw quite big groups of Taiwanese. If you stay on weekdays, I assume you'll see more Taiwanese than Japanese:p. This year, I saw big groups of Australian at a hotel near Nekoma!. I said I noticed a lot more foreigners in the region this year, but it doesn't mean it's crowded. It's not crowded at all. This is a pic filmed at Nekoma during Chinese New Year holidays this year!
    [​IMG]

This video was filmed at Nekoma last season.

#1206 Ramenman, Mar 18, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    nanami_JS, Hyst and Mike Pow like this.
  7. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Incredible value = radar blips for my next trip.

Ramenman likes this.
  8. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Awesome vid

9. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Yep, and this is the longer version of Tohoku Magic Featuring Cody Townsend(filmed in Hakkoda mountains = Aomori Prefecture + Aizu region, mostly Urabandai = Fukushima Prefecture)

Hyst and Mike Pow like this.
  10. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Myoko is trying to introduce a "Putmenu" system that allows ordering and payment using a smartphone. It supports 12 languages. You can go without carrying cash for lift tickets, rentals, restaurants and the like. In addition, accommodation facilities and restaurants can be provided accurate information for things like allergies and halal.

https://www.joetsu.ne.jp/74714

Ramenman and Mike Pow like this.
  11. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Some people recently sent me private messages to ask me about lodges for sale. Writing about specific lodges for sale is considered as commercial posts and it's not allowed here?. I want more people to buy those lodges because if they buy lodges, they try to attract more guests and it will save ski resorts in Japan;).

I noticed a lodge is for sale at 9 million Yen at Zao Pension Village(it's about 1km away from the nearest lift station of Zao Onsen ski resort). Considering its size(7 guest rooms, a few owner's rooms, etc) and location I think it's reasonable. I don't know the condition of the lodge, but it was open till last season, which means the condition isn't too bad, I guess. 1km away from the nearest lift station means it's not very walking distance, though(not many people are willing to walk for 20 mins with their ski / snowboard gears).
    [​IMG]

This is a video of Zao Pension Village. The lodge at 1:30 of this video is the lodge for sale now(it was filmed 3 years ago)

#1211 Ramenman, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    skifree, nanami_JS, M_G and 2 others like this.
  12. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

It is reported that a sake brewery from Niigata Prefecture 'HAKKAISAN BREWERY CO.,LTD' is building a brewery (+ shop, bar & restaurant, etc) in Niseko (very near Annupuri Kokusai ski resort). It will produce some different alcohol beverages (mainly 'rice whiskey'). The land is 9900 square metres, so it's a big one.

They have English website too : https://www.hakkaisan.com/

Tanuki likes this.
  13. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Early Days

I am keen. Been trying to look around but without much luck. The only ones that are being advertised on internet are the super expensive ones in Rutsusu. Where can we get more information about it or buying in Japan in general? Thanks!

14. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@Richard, any advice here?

15. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

16. M_G

Better to have it's own thread I think.
    Just be warned - you could well be inundated with hundreds of questions and lots of tyre kickers.

Ramenman likes this.
  17. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

The first thing you need to know is, finding reasonable lodges in Niseko and Rusutsu is almost impossible now. Here is the reason.

Compared to 30 years ago(Japan's crazy ski boom era), the number of Japanese skiers have become one third. On the other hand, the number of people from abroad to Japanese ski resorts have become triple in the last 5 years. Japanese skiers keep decreasing while foreign people to Japanese ski resorts are increasing rapidly, that's why lodges in Tohoku ski resorts can be very reasonable and lodges in Niseko, Rusutsu are very expensive. I mean, lodges in Niseko and Rusutsu are already targeting foreign tourists while many lodge owners at ski resorts in Tohoku still haven't noticed the newly rising big market caused by tourists from abroad. Many of the owners built their lodges in late 80's(30+ years ago) when they were mid 40s and now they are mid 70s, so no wonder they don't notice what has been going on in recent years. Many of them can't use internet very well and even if they can, they only have Japanese websites, so they can't attract foreign tourists. As a result, they underestimate their lodges when they decide to retire and sell their lodges in their 70s.

If you target Japanese people, 9 million Yen might be a bit "expensive", but if you are targeting foreign tourists, it can be very reasonable. I know a lot of lodges for sale around 30 million+ Yen in Tohoku, but I'm more motivated to mention 10 million Yen lodges on this thread because 10 million Yen is the amount of money most Australian people can fail. I mean, I feel guilty if people on this forum lose a lot of money by buying the lodges I mention on this forum:p.

#1217 Ramenman, Mar 28, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    essjaywhy and fennekeg like this.
  18. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Each city has the Chamber of Commerce and each tourist destination has a Tourism Association in general. The Chamber of Commerce cover wider area and Tourism Association cover more specific smaller area. For example, Zao Onsen is in Yamagata city ( = the capital of Yamagata Prefecture), but it's a lot different from the downtown of Yamagata city, so Zao Onsen area has its own tourism association.

I think this is the usual order of the information spreading: 1 = owners, 2 = local tourism associations, 3 = The Chamber of Commerce of the cities, 4 = real estate companies. If you go to local tourism associations or the Chamber of Commerce in Tohoku, don't expect they can speak English, it's not Niseko;)

Speaking of Zao, Zao mountains belong to several cities(Yamagata city, Kaminoyama city, and cities in Miyagi prefecture). Zao Liza World is my favorite ski resort in Zao mountains, and it's in Kaminoyama city, not Yamagata city. It's 20+ min drive from Zao Onsen. If you want a lodge in more snowy place in Zao region, I recommend owning a lodge at Liza World. Liza World is on Bodaira Kogen(Kogen = Highland). The base altitude is 1000m, and it's about 100 - 200m higher than Zao Onsen's main accommodation area, and the altitude difference makes the village look more snowy. This is a video filmed around the pension village of Zao Liza World(Bodaira Highland) last year.

#1218 Ramenman, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    nanami_JS, fennekeg and Hyst like this.
  19. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Ah, it seems it's already on a website of a real estate company now. The company post the information of the lodge in February 2019 = last month. So it was open till recently as I mentioned before, and it means the condition isn't too bad. If a lodge has been closed for more than 3 years, the condition must be worse. Here is the link about the lodge for sale.

https://www.athome.co.jp/js_17/dtl_6963856930/

If I'm not allowed to write about information on specific lodges for sale here, please tell me, I won't any more. I have no intention to break this forum rules.

fennekeg, Hyst and nanami_JS like this.
  20. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Go for it.

We all break all the rules all the time.

21. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Nobody has told me to stop writing about specific lodges for sale, so it's okay?. Actually, there is another lodge for sale in the same pension village at 800m above sea level(about 1km away from Zao Onsen ski resort). This 35 years old lodge with 7 guest rooms, 2 owner's rooms, etc is for sale at 12 millions Yen. The owner is still living there and condition is good (considering the price).
    [​IMG]

客室 = rooms for guests(7 in total). オーナー室 = owner's rooms.

This is how the pension village looks in winter.

Edit : By the way, this was filmed at Zao yesterday(March 31st), nicely snowing:)

#1221 Ramenman, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    skifree and crackson like this.
  22. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Local media are reporting the land price of Hakuba village rose by 10.5% compared to last year, and more than 10% rise is for the first time since 1991(1991 is the year of the bubble economy burst).
    https://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/nagano/20190320/KT190319ATI090049000.php

#1222 Ramenman, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    crackson likes this.
  23. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

It seems Appi is opening an international school with a British prestigious school Harrow School. 7 grades(aged 11 to 18?) and 1500 - 2000 students from foreign countries and Japan.

Harrow School : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrow_School

24. M_G

Appi is Chinese owned? Harrow has at least 3 schools in China so I'd say there's some connection there. I imagine they'll probably be freighting in hordes of rich Chinese kids who can't by law attend international schools in China.

Ramenman likes this.
  25. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Yep, Chinese owned now.

According to a local paper, the number of Chinese to Appi Kogen was + 453.8% this season compared to last season:eek:. But I don't think Appi is crowded at all even now. The number last season was very small, so it could easily become + 453.8%. If 100 becomes 550, it's +450%, but 550 is still a lot smaller number if compared to Niseko, Hakuba, Myoko, etc, right;)?

26. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Since today, Kawaba ski resort have started requiring the people who ski / snowboard OOB and green season hikers who climb Mt.Hotaka(2160m) via Kawaba ski resort to rent and sign with Cocoheli. Coco (or Koko) means 'Here' in Japanese, heli is helicopter. If you are with it, the rescue helicopter can locate you 16km away from you. It costs 2000 Yen(or 3000 Yen) but if you rent it, search & rescue by use of the helicopter becomes for free if they can locate you within 9 hours. 14 out of 14 cases, Cocoheli helicopter could find missing people within 9 hours.

[​IMG]

A video about CocoHeli.

Mt.Hotaka

Kawaba ski resort to Mt.Hotaka on March 27th.

Edit : By the way, there are many similar or same named mountains in Japan. There is another Mt.Hotaka in Japan, which is 3190m(different kanji, though). It might be confusing, but Mt.Hotaka I mentioned is the 2160m one (on which there is Kawaba ski resort)

27. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Both of the two lodges for sale are in Zao Pension Village, and Pension Brown is also in the same village. The current owner is British and Japanese couple and they speak English. It's a very lovely lodge, so if you are interested in lodge business in Zao region, staying at Pension Brown and asking them some advice might be good. At least, you pay them as a guest, so it's not bad for them, I guess;)

Pension Brown : https://www.zao-ski.com/

Edit : Their website is very well made, I mean, if you visit it, you can feel what the life at Zao is like in all four seasons.

Black = Pension Brown. Blue = the 9 millions Yen lodge for sale. Red = the 12 million Yen lodge for sale. As you can see, they are very close, only 1 min walking distance one another.

#1227 Ramenman, Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    crackson and Mitchthewitch like this.
  28. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

This was filmed somewhere between Appi and Amihari / Iwate Kogen ski resort last week. Northern Tohoku was still this good in the last week of March if it's higher than 800 - 1000m asl. I like the area very much. The uploader is Alain Irie(born to Swiss mother and Japanese father and raised up in the region = very near Amihari Onsen / Iwate Kogen) and he knows the mountains in the region very well. He regularly uploads videos of backcountry in the region, so if you are interested in, subscribe the channel;)

A video in the same region in late March(this season)

Last season.

Mt.Chokai on May 20th.

Hyst likes this.
  29. Mike Pow

Mike Pow One of Us

Niseko United today - 02 April 2019

30. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I don't know the real estate price in Hokkaido much, so I googled last night. Then it turned out there are more reasonable ones than I thought. And if it's Niseko, Rustsu, Furano, etc, you don't need Japanese. I mean, the local real estate agencies have English websites as well!. If 15 min drive to ski resort isn't a problem for you and it's a used house for private family use with a few bed rooms, not pension, you can find good condition ones for sale around 20 millions Yen.

For example, this is one of them. The kitchen, bathroom, etc are renewed and 21 million Yen. http://www.mushanavi.com/estate/detail_e.cgi?S=1568&SMD=0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the map from the house to Hirafu ski resort.
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nis...5381ee10ff!2m2!1d140.7553035!2d42.8782092!3e0

skifree likes this.
  31. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

It seems 56 year old Japanese female skier has been missing at Lotte Arai ski resort since last Sunday. It seems Arai is a killer mountain. It has killed many people since it reopened last season. I don't think it's likely that the 56 year old woman was trying to ski OOB alone. I mean, a Japanese doctor and his father froze to death last season. It was reported it's likely that they were not trying to ski OOB but they just got lost and were skiing OOB as a result. It's because upper slopes are above treeline and it's difficult to notice the boundary lines when it's snowing veeery hard?(Arai is one of the snowiest ski resorts)

32. nanami_JS

nanami_JS Early Days

I ski'ed at Lotte Arai when it was first open in Jan 2018 and went there again in Feb this year. It's actually my fav resort due to its liberal off-piste policy. Upper slopes aren't too hard to navigate. There are only 3 groomed runs from the top of the mountain (and a vast off-piste area). Apparently it was closed down 10 years ago because people died there. Luxury Escape is running promotion for Lotte Arai for 2019/2020 season already, but it's a lot more expensive than this season.

crackson and Ramenman like this.
  33. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

It's quite strange season for Tohoku, especially Fukushima and Yamagata, where I ski the most. January and February of this season was the worst January and February as far as I remember, but this year's late March - early April is the best late March - early April. Speaking of Nekoma ski resort, Nekoma's average snowdepth in mid February is about 350cm, but this year, it was only 180cm in mid February. But, as of April 3rd(yesterday), the snowdepth was 220cm. So April 3rd had more snowdepth than mid Febuary!. This was filmed at Nekoma around 2pm yesterday.

It's on this morning(6:30am). Red is the boundary of Yamagata and Fukushima Pref, where there are Nekoma, Grandeco, Tengendai, etc. And it's cold enough to snow there today too, so it's snowing there now, not raining. Tengendai Kogen in the region has 360cm snowdepth now!. It's north-facing, so the snow condition is good. The altitude is high and it's north facing, so Tengendai Kogen has the longest season of the region.

Tengendai Kogen last week. It has had some snowfall since then and it's snowing now, so I assume today is better than this video (filmed last weekend) for Tengendai!

Edit : This is Nekoma filmed Yesterday(On April 3rd 2019)

#1233 Ramenman, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Melskius, crackson, LMB and 2 others like this.
  34. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

A few months ago, I wrote quite big investment would come to Moiwa(Niseko) in the near future, and wrote two luxury hotels and many luxury villas were going to be built. But I didn't mention the investment to ski slopes because I didn't know about it at that time. This is what will happen to Moiwa. Three Blue lines are the lifts Moiwa has now, Orange one is a new long one from bottom to top, and three Red ones are new connecting lifts to Annupuri. So four new lifts:eek:!?
    [​IMG]

This is Hanazono. 6 new lifts & gondolas are coming in the near future and one of them will start running next season:eek:
    [​IMG]

This is the one which will start running at Hanazono next season(2019 - 20 season)
    [​IMG]

crackson and skifree like this.
  35. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

A chondola?!
    Wow.

I’m not a huge fan of chairlifts with more than 4 seats - just creates chaos getting off, especially when it’s heavily used by beginners. Look at the V8 at Perisher.

The connections between Moiwa and Annupuri look interesting - it’ll make getting back much easier, which will increase the traffic even more over there. With chair connections I see Moiwa coming into the Niseko United all mountain pass - no doubt a ticket price increase to go along with it.

Ramenman likes this.
  36. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I think they are different ones, I mean, it's not a Chondola. Hanazono will install two gondola lines(one of them is a long connecting gondola to Weiss). The one in the picture above is another gondola that Hanazono is installing(I'm not 100% for sure, but I understand so)

Edit:
    One 6 seat lift at Hanazono, one gondola at Hanazono, one connecting gondola between Hanazono and Weiss, and three new lifts at Weiss = 6 new lifts and gondolas(plus, 4 new lifts at Moiwa, so at least 10 new lifts & gondolas are coming to Niseko in the near future!)

LMB likes this.
  37. M_G

One day a foreign buyer will move in and snap up the 4 Myoko resorts. With one new gondola they'll tie the four resorts together on one ticket and eliminate the need for resort shuttles.

So simple yet so difficult for the current incumbents.

hotsaki, Hyst, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  38. LMB

Oh yeah of course...
    Doh!

The pic of both chair and gondola cabin in the one picture threw me.
    Wake up Michelle :rolleyes: :emoji_coffee:

Ramenman likes this.
  39. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Haha, it's actually my fault, no wonder you misunderstood if you saw the pic above:rolleyes:. New ski slopes will be made along the new gondola at Hanazono. The new gondola and 6 seat lift are the ones which they are installing at first(earlier than the other 4 lifts and gondola), so I think they showed the gondola next to the 6 seat lift in the same picture:)

Edit : Not only the new 6 seat lift, but also the new gondola will start running next season, so Hanazono will have one new lift and one new gondola next season.

LMB likes this.
  40. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Orange line and 3 Red lines are the lifts that Moiwa are planning to install. The article I read mentions the Black line too. It says Moiwa already bought hotels and the facilities of Goshikinuma Onsen(in Blue). In the long run, they are aiming at installing a lift on the opposite side of the mountain to Goshikinuma Onsen.

41. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Why the lifts on the ridge line? Looks weird. But quite interesting that there is that much lift development planned. Crazy investment in Niseko over recent history.

42. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Red 2 is a connecting lift from Annupuri to Moiwa, so it's not for skiing / snowboarding on the ridge, I think. Red 3 area is "wide ridge", so I guess it's for offering great views. Some ski resorts have similar wide flat ridge runs for offering great views like that.

43. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Lift 1 doesn't make much sense IMO. It cuts right across a drainage. Will be side onto the wind and super exposed.
    They just need to clear a decent groomer from the elbow at the bottom of Annapuri to the base area of Moiwa.
    Lift 2. That plateau is flat as. I can see why you need a lift to get you back to the ridge from A-Bowl
    Lift 3. So they are lifting 1/2 of Annapuri bowl.

44. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Call the president of Vail, he told Japanese media he was planning to buy a Japanese ski resort to attract more Australian and newly born skiers / snowboarders from Asian countries;). If the crazy investment like Niseko happens to Myoko, "Myoko United" might include Tsubame Onsen ski resort, which closed a long time agoLOL. Tsubame Onsen village is at 1100m asl, so it's snowier than Seki Onsen:whistle:?. This was filmed at Tsubame Onsen ski resort in 1999, so 20 years ago:)

Looking at the situation realistically, buying ski resorts like Myoko, Zao Onsen, etc is the most difficult. Traditional Onsen villages like Myoko, Zao Onsen, etc try hard to keep the business in their hands and they are doing well in recent years (very far from bankruptcy), so now they have no reason to sell the ski resorts. Zao Onsen also need better planners and managers, but younger generation have started doing better than before(still not good enough, though).

M_G likes this.
  45. M_G

All 4 Myoko resorts are externally owned, not by the town. Akakura Kanko was last sold about 10 years ago.

Ramenman likes this.
  46. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

They've started clearing snow to open Zao Echo Line this week, I feel spring is coming around the corner(these pics were taken 3 days ago, not today)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1246 Ramenman, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    crackson likes this.
  47. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

ANA is renovating their hotel near Kashimayari ski resort and building a new hotel next to it with InterContinental. Those hotels are mainly for Asian tourists who are going to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route. The Alpine Route is very popular among foreign tourists now, especially tourists from Asia, and the hotel site is a gateway to Tateyama Alpine Route. Some companies have started investing in the area, renovating the hotels, building new hotels, etc. It's less than 20 mins by car from the hotel site to Kashimayari. I hope Asian tourists staying at those hotels will go to Kashimayari and Sanosaka and as a result, the closed Aokiko ski resort will reopen;)

Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tateyama_Kurobe_Alpine_Route

Hoshino Resorts are also investing in the region. This is Kai Alps, the Ryokan that Hoshino Resorts renovated recently.
    Kai Alps : https://www.hoshinoresorts.com/en/resortsandhotels/kai/alps.html
    [​IMG]

Speaking of Hoshino Resorts, they are renovating Former Nara Prison to open as a luxury hotel. Former Nara Prison is one of many Giyofu architectures. I like them. Giyofu architectures are western style buildings that Japan built between late 19th century and early 20th century. Till mid 19th century, Japan basically traded with only China and Netherlands, but Samurai era(Edo period) ended, and Japan got opened to many other Western countries in late 19th century and Japan built a lot of Giyofu architecture buildings. Nara is a Japanese old capital and very near Kyoto and Osaka, so if you are in the region, staying at Former Nara Prison might become an interesting experience;)

Giyofu architecture : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giyōfū_architecture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Tokyo Station, and Tokyo station is also one of Giyofu architectures.
    [​IMG]

Tokyo station before the world war 2
    [​IMG]

Tokyo in 1917 - (more than 100 years ago)

#1247 Ramenman, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    skifree, LMB, crackson and 1 other person like this.
  48. LMB

A prison repurposing as a hotel will be interesting. I’ve stayed in the Rottnest Lodge which was a convict prison and repurposed as a hotel. The historical aspect adds an interest factor. I hope they emphasise the past history.

Ramenman likes this.
  49. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

According to JNTO, the number of Australian people to Japan from Dec 2018 to Feb 2019 grew by 12% compared to the previous season(Dec 2017 - Feb 2018).

[​IMG]

#1249 Ramenman, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  50. PiedPiper

PiedPiper One of Us

The 4 myoko resorts need to be connected up high, not some gigantic sideways gondola atrocity!
    A few carefully placed bridges, and some chairs around the upper mounatain - in and around the outer rim of the volcano would be awesome! Add in a nice restaurant, close to the top with superb views, and it's a done deal.

Also i am going to be winning the lottery next week :)

Ramenman and Mike Pow like this.