1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Latest ski & tourism news

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

6 ski resorts in Takasu region will make one united ski resort just like Hakuba Valley. If you have one ticket, you can ride all of the 6 ski resorts. https://www.takasumountains.com/
    [​IMG]

The 6 ski resorts will install this ticket reading gates.
    [​IMG]

The ski resort will be open 24 hours. Orange = 通常営業 is the regular opening hours and all of 6 ski resorts are open in the orange(8:00 - 16:30). Blue = Sunrise(5am - 8am), Gray = Twilight(4:30pm - 6pm), Yellow = Night(6pm - 11pm), Green = Midnight(0am - 5am). I mean, some ski resorts are open in Green, some are in Blue, some are in Gray and some are in Yellow and at least one of them is open anytime.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1401 Ramenman, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    lehb, M_G, Froff Life and 3 others like this.
  2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That’s insane in a good way.

Are they good places to ski?

3. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I don't know much about ski resorts in the region but I wrote about Takasu Snow Park and Dynaland several times on this forum. They are relatively big and they are famous for the biggest half pipes and terrain parks. They are popular especially among snowboarders and FIS Snowboard World Cup was held twice there in the last 10 years. They are newly opening treerun courses and backcountry tours in recent years.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  4. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Ok then.

5. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We could just respect the requirements of our hosts, just as we expect them to respect our requirements when they visit here.

fennekeg, M_G and Tanuki like this.
  6. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Looks very intriguing! What sort of snow quality and quantity do they get at Takasu? Looks good elevation wise and distance to the sea of Japan.

skifree likes this.
  7. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I've been there only once, so I can't say much about the snow quality & quantity, but I've watched some videos filmed at Takasu Snow Park and Dynaland in this April, and there was still plenty of snow, so I guess the snow quality & quantity are not bad(if not very good). The base altitude of Takasu, Dynaland, White Pia and Washigatake are about 900m - 980m, relatively high, so mid-winter rain is less likely, I guess. As you can see in the picture below, they say 6 ski resorts, but I'd say it's 4 in that Takasu Snow Park - Dynaland is like one ski resort just like Madarao - Tangram and WhitePia Takasu - Washigatake Ski Area is also just like Madarao - Tangram. Yellow in the image below is Takasu Village, and if you stay at a lodge there, it takes only 10 - 15min to Red(Takasu - Dynaland) and Blue(WhitePia - Washigatake) by car.

Takasu Snow Park has started making official treerun courses in recent years and backcountry tours as well. This is a video of backcountry of Takasu Snow Park.

What makes this great is, you can see beautiful sunrise(the blue = 5-8 am) and sunset(the gray = 16:30 - 18:00). I always love seeing sunrise and sunset on snowy mountains, so beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Z.PNG
      Z.PNG
      File size:
      200.3 KB
      Views:
    Froff Life and skifree like this.
  8. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Another 30 year old lodge relatively good condition is for sale at 8 million Yen now. It's walking distance to Takatsue ski resort(Fukushima Prefecture). Takatsue ski resort is 950 - 1660m(vertical drop is 710m), relatively big. There are some ski resorts nearby, such as Takahata ski resort (But Takahata is skier only resort, so if you are a snowboarder, you might not be interested in the lodge). The lodge is higher than 900m asl and snowy. The owner say 8 million Yen, then I would try to get it at 6.5 million Yen;)
    [​IMG]

This is the link, and you can see more pictures of the lodge(the lodge has 10 guest rooms and some owner's rooms)
    http://www.furusato-net.co.jp/bukken/bukkenShosai/117.html

A lodge very near the lodge for sale. I just wanted to show what the lodges in the region look like at 900m asl in winter.
    [​IMG]

Takatsue Ski Resort is a ski resort Tobu Railway made. It's a bit like Gala Yuzawa in that JR made the ski resort Gala Yuzawa and its train station. So, the ski resort is relatively easily accessible by use of Tobu Railway. Asakusa(Tokyo) - Nikko - some onsen villages on highlands near Nikko - the ski resort region, it's the route that Tobu Railway has. Tobu Railway has very reasonable midnight trains to the ski resort region. It leaves Asakusa at 23:55, arriving at the ski resort region around 7am. You sleep in the midnight train, so you can cut the expense of an accommodation too;)

スノーパル = Snowpal, the name of the train. 23:55 means it leaves Tokyo(Asakusa) at 23:55.
    [​IMG]

Since last year, Tobu Railway started using this new train for Snowpal 23:55, so I assume it's clean and comfortable to sleep(I haven't used the new Snowpal, though)
    [​IMG]

I think Takatsue is potential for attracting Asian tourists. Asian tourists rush to Gala Yuzawa in recent years because it's cheap and very easily accessible by train from Tokyo. Those newly born middle class people from Asia usually stay in Japan for less than 5 days and they want to enjoy shopping in Tokyo, go to one of Japanese traditional tourist destinations (Nikko is one of them) and experience a snow resort. And they want to make the trip as cheap as possible.

It's close to Oze too. It's a popular national park for green season hikers. Oze region has the tallest mountains of Tohoku and they are very snowy and the mountains are not too steep nor too flat for skiing. There aren't ski resorts on the mountains, though(They are popular for spring time backcountry skiers). The region is the least populated region of Japan, being surrounded by very snowy tall mountains of Fukushima Pref and Niigata Pref.
    [​IMG]

#1408 Ramenman, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    M_G, Hyst and skifree like this.
  9. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Another 10 million Yen lodge in Zao region. Among ski resorts in Zao region, Zao Onsen ski resort is by far the biggest and the most famous but the lodge is in Miyagi Prefecture side(Zao Onsen is Yamagata Prefecture side). It's only 11 million Yen and 7 min drive to Miyagi Zao Eboshi ski resort. It's in the Black in the map below. It's 33 years old lodge with 9 guest rooms and some owner's rooms. It's Miyagi side, so it's close to the biggest city of Tohoku = Sendai, it's close to Tohoku Shinkansen stations and Tohoku Expressway. Considering many people who are skiing in Tohoku are visiting Geto Kogen, Appi, etc, being close to Tohoku Shinkansen & Tohoku Expressway is advantageous.

Eboshi resort is about 650m - 1350m = Red(Black = the lodge is at 570m). Blue is a popular backcountry area(between 1350m and 1700m). Yellow is Sumikawa Snow Park and Sumikawa Snow Park has cat tours to one of the peaks of Zao Mountains everyday(There are Juhyo there). In that sense, the region might be good if you want to enjoy two backcountry skiing / snowboarding days before heading further north. This video was filmed in late March. The snow condition is better in mid winter.

This is Sumikawa Snow Park, and it's also a short drive from the lodge.

This is the CAT of Sumikawa Snow Park. It goes up to 1740m, so you don't need to hike. The group in the video don't know the mountain very well, so they are just skiing / snowboarding on Zao Echo Line, though. Zao Echo Line is a road to the peak. The road is open during green season and there are restaurants at the peak(but the road and restaurants are closed during winter). If you know the mountain very well, you can ride yummy hidden slopes, but you should not try without a guide because Zao mountains are famous for the quite bad visibility and you can get lost easily.

Ah, this is the link of the lodge :
    https://house.ocn.ne.jp/toushi/detail/0/04301/6968232067/20002721/x06968232067.html

#1409 Ramenman, Sep 12, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 5:17 AM
    Mitchthewitch, skifree and M_G like this.