1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Latest ski & tourism news

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The Japanese numbers never exceeded +15.6% per day at any stage, (doubling every 4.5 days).
    Australia peaked at +26.8%, or doubling every 2.6 days. It's actually a huge difference, and the only similar increase profile to Japan was Singapore, but they ended up having a 2nd wave from about the 10th April, and Singapore is still recovering.
    Now both Japan & Australia are consistently below +0.8% per day for the last 2 weeks, with Australia a bit lower (below 0.8% for the last 5 weeks, and below 0.5% for the last 4 weeks).

So in the scheme of things, Australia is tracking better than Japan numbers wise, Australia is lower in deaths/million, Australia's testing per million is 20 times better. Japan will know this.

IMO, there will be a travel bubble between Australia, NZ, Taiwan & Japan, well before the northern winter.

Here are the current rules for entry into Japan:
    - Entry refusal of foreigners who have stayed in Australia for the last 14 days. (it seems to be the same for every country)

skifree, telenomore and LMB like this.
  2. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Donald thinks otherwise ;)

[​IMG]

3. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

wow.
    that ****tard

telenomore likes this.
  4. Donzah

Yeah nah.
    Australia won't be opening its borders to Japan /Taiwan anytime soon.
    NZ ..Pacific .sure

telenomore likes this.
  5. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

It is reported that Japanese government are planning to distribute travel coupons to Japanese people (max 30,000 Yen per person) to support tourism industry and it's valid only for 6 months. They will distribute the coupons when the number of newly infected people in Japan becomes very small. The newly confirmed cases today are only 27. At this rate, Japanese government are likely to distribute the coupons before October. The coupons are valid for 6 months, so a lot of Japanese people might use the coupons for visiting ski resorts:)

skifree likes this.
  6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Which is NUTS because Taiwan has been the stellar performer in this whole thing!

Don't destroy my illusion Donzah - I am wishing and hoping for a bubble - NZ/Aus/Japan/Taiwan.
    One of the other girls who just missed her L2 in my group is Taiwanese and we had made a pact to come back and do the exams together again in Feb 21.

7. Donzah

Australia and NZ are conservative .
    Very.
    Problem is . You can't have destinations/embarkations that are transit points.

8. LMB

Direct flights Syd-Sapporo
    Covid Test on leaving and arriving
    Quarantine on arriving (by that stage hopefully home detention)

skifree likes this.
  9. Ramenman

I think Australia and NZ are over-reacting a bit. I mean, the deaths per million of Australia and NZ are the smallest among all Western countries, but they've had one of the longest and the most strict lockdowns in the world. They set a bar very high before winter, and it can make them suffer economically more than the countries that have the biggest number of victims like Italy, Spain, the UK, France, etc. I think COVID-19 can spread more in winter than in summer. If they set a bar very high in summer - autumn, it might make them more difficult to open more economic activities in coming winter. I hope that over-reaction period of Aus will end before coming December;)

10. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

11. Ramenman

Yamagata Prefecture (Zao Onsen, etc) have already started distributing the people living in Yamagata Pref 5,000 Yen travel coupons to support local tourism industry(it can be used only for staying at hotels / ryokans, visiting tourist attractions in Yamagata Pref). The coupon is valid from June 1st, and it means like Yamagata Pref is officially saying "Stay Home is over, enjoy travel and support tourism industry". It seems each prefecture is preparing similar travel coupons. The combination of each prefecture's travel coupons + Japanese government's travel coupons is coming and I hope it will help tourism industry a lot.

12. Ramenman

It is reported that Taiwan is planning to lift restrictions on international travel on October 1st (allowing Taiwanese to travel abroad and accepting foreign tourists to Taiwan).

I think lifting restrictions is also "infectious". Once a country lifts restrictions, neighbor countries follow.

13. Sandy

IMO, this is the start of the "bubble".

M_G and Ramenman like this.
  14. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I think he meant to 3rd countries. A lot of people transit in Tokyo. e.g one of the 26 on my flight back from Tokyo was coming back to Aus from Finland, via Germany.

LMB likes this.
  15. skichanger

I sure hope so. It will be very difficult if we cannot get back to Japan before the northern winter.

LMB likes this.
  16. Ramenman

I think you can fly back to Japan before the next ski season.

Till late February, COVID-19 was just a "Chinese Virus". March and April = The rest of the world got panicked. May = People started getting calm, lifting restrictions. Within 3 months, things changed a lot(None - Panic - Calm). Nearly 7 months is left for next ski season and 7 months is very long enough for people to change how to react to COVID-19.

That said, compared to Asian tourists, I think People from Australia, NZ, Europe and North America book early. International flights re-opening in October or November might be too late for them to decide to fly to Japan for skiing. Btw, You are not trying to attract Asian tourists and Japanese tourists too?. People travelling abroad are relatively well-educated, so they can speak English more or less. I studied Chinese to accept Chinese speaking tourists, but we've ended up talking with Chinese speaking tourists in English because my Chinese is as bad as (or even worse than) my English:p.

Plus, if you can speak very basic Japanese, you can target Japanese people too. I mean, a lot of Japanese parents want to give their kids the opportunity to experience "real English". If you target Japanese parents who want their kids to experience "real English", I assume you can get new guests.

Gregah, Any and LMB like this.
  17. skichanger

We already get a reasonable number of Asian and Japanese guests. Chalet Madarao is in arguably the best location at Madarao with respect to ease of access to the slopes making it appealing. Most of these guests do have some English and the kids love practicing their English, as you have mentioned. The Japanese, and other people living in Japan on visas, enjoy how laid back we are. For example, if you forget to change to slippers at the door it is not a big deal. We had a guest break a fitting last season. Telling us was much easier than telling a Japanese host would have been. And they were quite surprised at how appreciative we were that they told us.

Ramenman and skifree like this.
  18. skichanger

It is a mix. We sometimes get bookings on the day people arrive.

Ramenman likes this.
  19. LMB

Ahhh
    I see.

Could be managed via the airline.
    Bans for people who haven’t been in Japan for at least 14 days, like they had before re no entry from China unless you’ve been elsewhere for at least 14 days.

And the 14 day quarantine on return would deter a lot of people (hopefully it’ll be home detention style by then).

Let’s face it the management of incoming passengers at the beginning of the outbreak could’ve been managed a lot better.

My return flight on 4th March PB and I were in the minority wearing masks on the plane, yet EVERYONE except one guy wore one in the airport. There was no health check to board or when disembarking, however a self reported sick person was removed from the plane On landing while we all remained seated (should’ve kept him seated and let everyone else off as he was right up the back and walked past EVERYONE on the way out). After arrival we got our bags and headed straight to domestic to get the next flight. Again no health checks. Zero masks worn (I kept wearing mine - terrified I’d end up being a patient zero and all over the news LOL). Then when we were home it was BAU. I couldn’t do it. At least a week I refused to go out and for a good month after getting home I didn’t go out without a mask. But so many people came home, went shopping, caught up with friends, went to parties - and then tested positive! We could do so much better in check and home detention quarantine, and let’s face it, if we want international tourism we are going to have to do better.

Ramenman and Any like this.
  20. Ramenman

This week, Thai Airways International announced that they would restart international flights from July 1st including14 flights to Japan per week(4 Narita, 4 Haneda, 3 Kansai, and 3 Chubu). But a few days after the announcement, it was reported that Thai Airways went bankrupt. They are the biggest airways of Thailand and they will keep operating their business under Thai government. The very important thing is, Thailand is planing to restart international flights for tourists "as early as July". No wonder, inbound tourism is quite important for Thai economy.

21. LMB

That’s a bit judgemental and quite rude Toto.

Well lucky you!

If I lived in NZ I could be continuing with my educational journey and exams, and PB could continue with his mountain climbing stuff.

I want to go back to Japan to spend the winter in my house that I have to pay for whether I’m there or not. And to complete my exams, hopefully this time without knocking myself out.

I would also like to get to Thredbo for an extended period however our border lockdown may even prevent that. If it does, getting to Japan is even more important.

Time is not on my side. I’m not young. I have started a journey with a goal of passing these exams and then working in the area. I’ve achieve a massive amount in a short space of time but if I can’t snowboard for the next 18 months it is quite possible I’ll miss my shot. Getting back to full fitness and being bolshie enough to throw myself over the big jumps and make the box my own will be really difficult if I don’t keep the momentum.

In any case Japan is my 2nd home. Has been for 15 years. I’m as interested in seeing their tourism industry thrive as I am our own!!

hotsaki, crackson, Froff Life and 4 others like this.
  22. skichanger

Yeah. We flew back at the same time but DH was on Qantas and I was on ANA and Virgin. All ANA flight crew wore masks when interacting with passengers. I got health screened at Sydney, which means my temperature was taken. No checks for DH. No questions about where we had come from or where we were going etc. But they did give us masks and insist we wear them.

Then we flew to Canberra. The boys picked us up and managed to flatten the battery on our car. Silly DH told the NRMA we had just flown in from Japan. They refused to help us until we explained that we could leave and just people who had not been overseas would be there.

For us self quarantine is easy - we live in the middle of nowhere anyway and only go to town once a week for shopping.

A friend of mine was on the Ruby Princess and caught Corvid 19. Her husband did not get it. They caught a taxi to Sydney airport and then flew to Tamworth. From what she has told me we are lucky there were not more cases.

LMB likes this.
  23. skichanger

Ahh you are but a pup!

And FYI you are not the only one who wants to get back to Japan. We have had a lot of people recently buy lodges in our area. For some of them missing a season could be disastrous.

And the thing about them not complaining in NZ, then why are they so desperate to open the border with us? Oh huge portion of their snow industry is Aussies. Stupid comment.

LMB likes this.
  24. LMB

Thanks.
    I feel like a pup most of the time but had to have CT head/neck after my box stack and there is degeneration in my neck that is going to limit how long I can jump and crash without doing some damage. I’d like to get the cert ASAP and then stop doing scary stuff :p.

Re: business owners in Japan, I am totally with you there. There are so many businesses that won’t survive. And it’s not the conglomerates that will go under - it’s the Mom and Pop operations and young fellas just getting a start. That’s heartbreaking. It’ll just end up with MORE domination by the big guys and LESS of the cool little private businesses.

PB and I act as local tour guides/tourism advocates with our friends and anyone else we talk to - we love it!! People stay with us for a week then usually move on for a week or more on Tohoku for off snow stuff. If they didn’t have free accom with us they would never consider Japan. But they almost invariably come back repeatedly!

25. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I don't see how there could be any confusion.

If big businesses in tourism industry don't recover enough, there will be no flights. No flights = no us.
    If big influential businesses in tourism industry doesn't push for opening, Japan will just stay closed (I really don't put it past them). Closed borders = no us.
    We too count as tourists. Thus, we're rooting for the tourism industry.
    We're completely selfishly thinking of the success of our next season, well I am anyway. But my gain doesn't need to be at the expense of everyone else, so I have absolutely no problem rooting for landlords and businessmen from taos.

also, good luck finding Japow during the NZ summer.

LMB, skichanger and skifree like this.
  26. Ramenman

Today, local media are reporting that the number of foreigners who visited Japan last month (April) was -99.9% compared to the previous year = April of 2019. Only 1/1000, not surprising at all. The bright side is, the number of tourists from Western countries (including Australia) had been increasing till COVID-19's outbreak. As the image below shows, Australia = +12.6%, the US =+12.9%, the UK = +27.0%. Australia in 2013 = about 200 (thousand) and it became 622 (thousand) in 2019, so 3 times in 6 years:)
    [​IMG]

27. Sandy

I don't think a transit hub should be a problem if the hub is your final international destination inbound to Japan, if it's a direct flight.
    e.g. You arrive at Haneda Airport from Sydney direct (Qantas or ANA), and the passengers divide into transit & immigration. Only the transit people mix with other transit people from other international flights. Then if you have a Japanese domestic flight, it's internal.
    Outbound Haneda Airport to Sydney direct, you will mix with other people in transit from other international flights, so you may need to do quarantine back in Australia.

The key to not having that problem, is not to do an international transit in an airport outside of Australia or Japan.

28. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

PMG, Hyst and M_G like this.
  29. Hyst

Anybody (or Anything og Any) know how many young snowworkers got stranded Japan? Heard some have a hard time. Maybe farm jobs could help them until they are able to go back home?

Maybe there could be a visa problem to work.

Ramenman likes this.
  30. Ramenman

NHK was reporting about it yesterday, especially Niseko's cases, but didn't report how many. NHK was reporting two cases, a Romanian couple's case and an Argentinian girl's case. International flights are not flying now(or too expensive now), so they can't fly back yet. They can't get jobs now because they can't speak Japanese or their work visas have already expired.

The companies that they were working for let them stay at their accommodations for free now, but they need some more supports. And, an official of Shiribeshi Province (it's a province in Hokkaido, where there are Niseko, Rusutsu, etc) was saying in NHK's news program that they want those foreigners to contact with Shiribeshi Province if they are in troubles.

As of April 30th, 1,600 foreigners were living in Niseko region but not sure how many of them are seasonal workers who are stranded in Japan due to COVID-19.

#2780 Ramenman, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Tanuki, skifree, LMB and 2 others like this.
  31. Ramenman

Ah, Hokkaido's local newspaper is reporting more than 140 foreigners are stranded in Niseko region due to COVID-19 now.

32. Any

JaGov has extended the visas several times, but they were doing it a bit piecemeal where it appeared that these staff would have to go to Sapporo almost weekly to extend.
    I know of a few people with farming jobs right now, but it might be a bit of a double whammy with the other jobs if the ski tourism companies aren't so sure of next season, they might be doing skeleton maintenance or perhaps can't afford to because of March April.
    In a way I'm not so sympathetic to the stuck staff's plight tho, the writing was on the wall for many weeks before there was no way out. I could have been greedy, stayed and got some extra japow, but it was obvious I'd get stuck there.

skifree, LMB and Ramenman like this.
  33. Ramenman

I found this video on Youtube(It's NHK's tv news on May 19th). In the video, NHK is saying that Japanese government have already loosen the work visa regulations in the wake of COVID-19 and they can work now but some amount of foreigners still don't know about it (their visas can be extended). The girl in the video was one of them, I mean, she didn't know about it till quite recently.

Tanuki and Hyst like this.
  34. Hyst

Well, you are a old :D experienced guy - not a firsttimer. :whistle:

35. Ramenman

Speaking of visa, Japan have created a new visa "Specified Skilled Worker". If a person got a specified skilled worker as a ski instructor, he / she can only work as a ski instructor. If a person got a specified skilled worker as a chef, he / she can only work as a chef. But now, in the wake of COVID-19, foreigners with specified skilled workers as ski instructor can work as farmer or anything. Actually, now a lot of ski resort villages want more long term residents, rather than seasonal workers and they want ski resort seasonal workers to keep living in the villages as farmers in green season as well. Actually, some prefectures, cities and villages have been trying to make new frameworks to make it happen. Speaking of farms, a lot of young people in rural cities are moving to bigger cities "for better jobs", so farmlands in Japan are very cheap with a lot of abandoned farmlands. I think Japan should let more foreigners utilize their abandoned farmlands in / around ski resort villages. There must be many foreigners like me who love to work for ski related business in winter and work as a farmer in green season.
    [​IMG]

skifree, fennekeg and Sandy like this.
  36. LMB

Yeah and he had me and ozgirl nagging him to “book a damn flight NOW” LOL

My L2 examiner is still there, he is supposed to be teaching in Oz this season, so I expect he is a casualty of no flights. From what I can see that community are all pulling together to look after each other, but yeah - support is required, and visas need an open extension - who knows how long it’ll be until they can leave.

Hyst, Any and Ramenman like this.
  37. skichanger

I have not heard of any Aus snow workers being stranded. We had a staff member who is still over there but that was always the plan. We have put a back up plan in place if there is a problem. There are other Aussies in our area who would help anyone genuinely in need. Also our local govt are helpful and supportive.

I would be pretty disappointed if the Aus owned business have not supported their staff to get them home. Quite a few places closed early and sent their staff home early.

38. skichanger

Interesting. It may help. Our local resorts have the oldest lifties I have ever seen - they are the local farmers. The resorts struggle to find younger people for these jobs.

The biggest issue is the language proficiency.

The labour shortage in the ski resorts in winter does need to be addressed. We would employ locals but have been unable to find people who want work only in winter. Also many are flat out in winter anyway.

Ramenman and LMB like this.
  39. LMB

Read a report from Kutchan paper the other day about a farmer who couldn’t find anyone to help him dig out the potatoes even though he was paying high wages last year, but this year inundated with requests and paying lowest wages yet had his pick of workers due to so many Gaijin stranded after Covid.

Let’s face it having mostly young working holiday staff the commitment to the job, interest in the success and reputation of the company Etc is not as strong as if you have returning staff year after year. Or at least a bit more weighted toward repeat staff than it is now. Allowing for year round employment for skilled winter staff would help in this regard. Even if they headed back to Aus, NZ, Sth America for the Winter they may stay longer in Japan and arrive earlier if there was work in the shoulder seasons.

Hyst, Ramenman and Any like this.
  40. skichanger

The visa restrictions make it almost impossible to have returning staff even though you are unable to find Japanese residents to fill the positions. Even the resorts cannot find Japanese residents for the positions they have.

LMB and Ramenman like this.
  41. Any

I thought this was on purpose. Hire all the local farmers that are out of work because of the winter.
    Bonus is that they are used to getting up early, are more responsible, and can drive tractors and other machinery on the hill.
    This means that I too am accustomed to old ugly lifty dudes. But when I went to Kiroro mid last season I was in for a shock, they had all young attractive college age lifties. I rode those lifts all day :D

Niseko lift companies also have staff shortages too.
    Possibly exaggerated because of the requirement of Japanese speaking, really low wages, and poor living conditions tho.

Froff Life, Ramenman and LMB like this.
  42. skichanger

They are getting old, don't want to work as lifties in winter any more but some feel obliged to because the resorts cannot find young Japanese who want the jobs. And they cannot employ foreigners unless their Japanese is good enough communicate especially in emergencies. This was one of the things that came out at a meeting with one of the resorts when some relative newcomers were whinging.

Ramenman and Any like this.
  43. Ramenman

A bit more about the combination of tourism and farming.

Japan has been suffering from severe labor shortage in recent years, and as a result, quite many foreign workers from Asia (mainly countries where the wages are low) are working in farms and orchards in Japan. But now a lot of foreigners who are supposed to work in farms in Japan can't fly to Japan now due to COVID-19. Most hotels and tourism agencies in Japan have been closed (or half closed) since mid March due to COVID-19. As a result, Japanese people who work for hotels and tourism agencies have started working in those farms instead of foreign workers. It's actually win - win game for farm owners and employers of tourism business.

The foreigners working in farms in Japan are just "employees", not "employers" except some rare cases. I think Japanese ski resort villages need more foreign employers who offer their foreign employees ski resort related jobs in winter and farming related jobs in green season.

fennekeg likes this.
  44. Ramenman

Hyst likes this.
  45. Ramenman

Recently, I hear new vineyards and wineries opening in ski resort regions. There are a few reasons. Japanese people used to eat rice at breakfast, lunch and dinner, but they don't eat rice as much as they used to now. For Japanese, alcohol beverage used to mean sake (you know sake made from rice) but now they drink many different alcohol beverages including wine. So, Japan doesn't need rice fields much now. Till relatively recently, there was a "quantity rule" to open wineries, distilleries and breweries. I mean, unless you can produce "proper" amount of wine, you couldn't get the license to open your winery and sell your wine in Japan. But now, the rules have been loosen, and people can open vineyards and wineries a lot more easily than before. Even if you open an vineyard and a winery in the middle of nowhere, it's not easy to attract enough people. Ski resort villages are tourist destinations, so you can expect more people visit your vineyard and winery. It's good for ski resort villages as well in that they can offer their guests "only in the ski resort region products = the wines" . The images below are the vineyard & winery which opened in Aizu region, Fukushima Pref last year (Aizu region = Alts Bandai, Nekoma, Grandeco, Minowa, Inawashiro, etc). I recently heard similar cases in Yamagata (Zao), Niigata, etc too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2795 Ramenman, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
    skifree and LMB like this.
  46. zarik

zarik Addicted

Problem is that in most cases the climate and soil just not good for wine grapes. It is drinkable but just is not good. I see near Matsumoto a lot of land used for wine growing, eating grapes they grow are really good but wine ones.. to be honest in last few years I tried quite a bit of local stuff, I remember only 1 bottle that was really good, 2000 yen or so smaller winery east of Matsumoto towards Tobira. Rest of it is level of stuff people make at home in Europe or worse.

I been on couple wine tasting tours in Yamanashi(which is I guess origin of wine production in Japan) same thing all the table and under 2-3000 yen stuff is just bad. It is fun to try something different but long term I don’t know how they survive.

They also should really invest in promoting Sake. I wonder if better labeling can help, lots of sake labels are very traditional and even for Japanese are hard to read(at least my wife claims that, maybe her Kanji is not that good heh) better explanation of what it is on the back? Have couple types produced with additional English labeling. Hakuba as example has lots of breweries, do they label anything with English? Probably could get quite a bit more sales. Also Japanese calligraphy can be hard to read for Chinese as well

fennekeg, Froff Life and skifree like this.
  47. Ramenman

Haha, to be honest, I can't say much about the taste of wines because I have a cheap tongue when it comes to wine. I mean, If I test 3,000 Yen wine and 30,000 Yen wine, I often feel 3,000 Yen one is yummier. I like white Koshu wines, but you can't trust my wine reviews:p

For long years, most Japanese wineries were using low quality grapes because grapes in Japan were mainly produced to be eaten as grapes, and they were not produced for wines. But, having seen Japanese whiskey's international success, a lot of Japanese winery owners have started focusing on producing better wines by using the best quality koshu grapes. Koshu is a grape species native to Japan. So, it's only in Japan grape species. In recent years, some of white Koshu wines have started winning international wine contests. So, I think the quality have been improving in recent years. That said, I'm not the right person who talk about wine quality.

For me, visiting vineyards & wineries is for enjoying the experiences, rather than tasting wines. And, actually, many Asian tourists are visiting orchards (including vineyards) in Japan. In orchards in Tohoku, we see quite many tourists from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, etc and it's because climates there and here are a lot different, so even very average fruits for Japanese are something special for them :)(cold winter is needed for some fruits and those Asian countries don't have cold winter).

48. Ramenman

Japan Is About to Become the Newest ‘It’ Region for Wine
    https://fortune.com/longform/japan-wine-country/

In the Shadow of Mount Fuji, Japan Is Making Incredible White Wines
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-wine-made-from-koshu-grapes-white-sparkling

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT KOSHU FROM JAPAN
    https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2019/09/everything-you-need-to-know-about-koshu-from-japan/

fennekeg and zarik like this.
  49. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Only Japanese wines i've had have been borderline undrinkable haha. And they love to serve their red wines cold, yuck!

50. Ramenman

Today, Japanese local media are reporting that a lot of people are selling accommodations in Japan and a lot of people are buying those discounted accommodations now due to COVID-19. For example, a person in his 30s owns 7 guest houses and pensions. One of them, He renovated by spending 40,000,000 Yen about 4 years ago. Recently, he sold it at 10,000,000 Yen, very reasonable!. I need to keep an eye on real estate prices more now!.