1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Latest ski & tourism news

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Ramenman, Sep 14, 2018.

1. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

What would the advantage be over the monorail?
    A 5-6 minute walk from Hammamatsucho Station to get on a ferry as opposed to a couple of minutes walk to the monorail platform...

Although I’m sure the ferry experience would give you a different view of Tokyo. We spent a fair bit of our time in Hiroshima travelling to places by ferry and it was a lovely way to get around.

fennekeg, Ramenman and skifree like this.
  2. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

All a bit back to the future this ferry business.

I like it.

Ramenman likes this.
  3. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

On the water around Tokyo Bay is nice!!!

fennekeg, skifree and Ramenman like this.
  4. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'd say it's for offering tourists another experience.

The new water bus station (=Takeshiba) is starting with three routes.

Route A : Asakusa - Ryogoku (The Sumo site) - Takeshiba - Odaiba - Kasai (near Tokyo Disney Resort)

Route B : Asakusa - Takeshiba - Toyosu

Route C : Takeshiba - Haneda Airport

Tokyo's waterfront areas are full of re-development plans now and Toyosu is one of them. Toyosu Market opened in 2018 and related facilities for tourists are opening in the near future. One of them is this Edo period (1603 – 1868) themed streets. It's opening in 2023.

About Edo period : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo_period

fennekeg likes this.
  5. Ramenman

A new onsen facility is opening in Zao Bodaira Kogen at 1,000m above sea level next month (July 3rd). It's at the base of Zao Liza World ski resort (near Zao Onsen).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was filmed on December 9th of 2019. As you might know, 2019 - 2020 season was the least snowiest in decades and the ski season start was very slow. Considering the fact, the snow condition was good on December 9th. It's one of our backcountry routes (lifts of Zao Liza World + Hike). I like all four seasons of Bodaira Kogen. Some owners of the ski lodges with 8 - 10 guest rooms are around 75 years old (and they are retiring in the near future), and you might be able to buy them:whistle:

Zao Liza World in mid winter (mid Feb)

Backcountry around Zao Liza World in mid winter.

M_G and Tanuki like this.
  6. Ramenman

This picture was filmed at Shiga Kogen (in the base of Ichinose area) this month. As I wrote several months ago, Japanese government have decided to support Shiga Kogen clearing lands of abandoned buildings. 5 abandoned hotels are being cleared there this month and some new buildings are planned there. Melco, Hong Kong based company announced they'll invest in Oku Shiga Kogen last November. I wonder how COVID-19 will affect new investments coming.
    [​IMG]

Kimski, skifree and Tanuki like this.
  7. Asama

Asama Early Days

Great to see ugly abandoned hotels being knocked down.
    But replacing with new ones when the old ones couldn't survive - just going to repeat the cycle?
    I realise it's more nuanced than that, but the thousands of collapsing buildings all over the mountains are a pet hate of mine. Wish there was some way of making people/companies take more responsibility for their rotting infrastructure.

Hyst, M_G, Ramenman and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ramenman

The area (where there is the hotel in the picture above) belongs to a National Park(or Quasi-National Park?), and the owners are supposed to knock down the buildings to make vacant lots there due to related laws when they close the business . But some hotels (or I should say "many") are left abandoned (why?). Speaking of Zao Onsen, the base village areas are not inside a national park but upper mountains are inside a Quasi-National Park. The base village is about 750m above sea level while there are some hotels higher than 1,200m - 1,300m asl. There used to be a hotel "Starlight Hotel" at 1360m asl. I really liked the location of the hotel (it's very close to Juhyo area and very snowy thanks to the high altitude), but the hotel was knocked down because the owner couldn't find a new owner and had to knock down the building due to a related law. It was a very bad timing. It was after the Tohoku's gigantic earthquake + Tsunami and Volcanic Eruption Warning Level 2 was issued to a Zao mountain, so tourists didn't come at all and the owner couldn't keep hiring staff. If it were now, I assume a lot of people (mainly from Asia) would like to buy his hotel, considering Zao is very popular for Juhyo among Asian tourists in recent years and the hotel is very close to a Juhyo area.

The hotel used to have cat tours too.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, it was rumored that new investments (from Asian investors?) are opening (a) hotel(s) close to Juhyo. But, it was before COVID-19 hit when I heard the rumor, so not sure if it will actually happen.
    [​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  9. Asama

Asama Early Days

Presumably 1) The owners are already bankrupt or 2) No one is enforcing the rules.

A handful of bubble era concrete block style hotels are still limping on in my local area, helped in large part by busloads of Chinese tour groups. It's not hard to imagine Covid could be the final straw for some of those places.

I'll admit a personal interest here - right across the road from me are rows and rows of crumbling timeshare cottages, no doubt sold as a great idea in the late 1980s and left to rot since. Seriously it looks like Pripyat (Chernobyl) or some sort of post-apocalyptic film set. Some poor suckers are probably still paying property tax on that mess, and apparently the complexity of the ownership makes it impossible to knock them down. 1km or so up the road and I'd be in Joushin'etsu Nat. Park. I'm not sure what the exact rules are but there are fewer horrible buildings over there. Still a few, though.

Ramenman likes this.
  10. Ramenman

Speaking of lodges inside National Parks, Quasi-National Parks, etc, some of them are very reasonable for some reasons. The related laws are complicated and I don't understand all of them. My understanding is, you can keep owning the building as long as you keep the business available but the land is not yours, so you need to keep paying the land rent every year. The land is not yours and the current owners must find next owners (otherwise, they must knock down the buildings), so, a lot of those lodges are very discounted. For example, Katashina Village is famous for ski resorts and Marunuma Kogen ski resort is inside Nikko National Park. The lodge district of the ski resort is 1400m asl, the top gondola station is 2000m and the peak of the mountain is 2600m. Thanks to the high altitude, ski season there is long. Due to the reason I wrote above, ski lodges there are very reasonable now. For example, this lodge with 10 bed rooms is only 10 million Yen. You need to pay 300,000 Yen for the land every year, but still, it's very reasonable (and Katashina village has many ski resorts).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This good condition one is only 15 million Yen (and the price was before COVID-19 hit, so it might be cheaper now).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  11. Asama

Asama Early Days

skifree and Ramenman like this.
  12. Ramenman

Haha, I wrote about the lodge here a year ago or so:p. The lodge was 15 million Yen a year ago or even before, and nobody has bought it yet now, then, the owner might be thinking 10 million Yen is okay:p.

Speaking of lodges in Katashina village, I wrote about this lodge as well (last year or two years ago), now it says "in the middle of negotiations". So, somebody is thinking to buy the lodge now (it's a person on this forumLOL?). The lodge is very close to Oze Iwakura ski resort = a major ski resort in the region with relatively big vertical drop + high altitude + quality runs.
    [​IMG]

skifree and Asama like this.
  13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

14. skifree

Sounds purfect to me.

2ESki, skichanger and Ramenman like this.
  15. Ramenman

A bit more about Katashina village. Nearly 2 years ago (2018 July or August = not "latest news":rolleyes:?), a new roadside station opened in Katashina village(it's only 10min drive to Oze Iwakura ski resort, 18 min drive from Marunuma Kogen ski resort, and there are some other ski resorts nearby such as Oguna Hotaka and Kawaba). Between the new roadside station and ski resorts in the region, shuttle buses are running. Not only that, between a new bus terminal in Tokyo (= Shinjuku Busta) and the roadside station, shuttle buses have started running. This is the new roadside station in Katashina village.
    [​IMG]

Marunuma Kogen is on Mt.Nikko Shirane = 2,578m. The opposite side of the mountain is Nikko region = a popular tourist destination. From Marunuma Konge to Lake Chuzenji of Nikko region is only 30 min drive. The road is closed during winter, but if you open the lodge all year around, you can attract green season tourists coming to Nikko as well. Mt.Nikko Shirane is the tallest mountain in the region (2,578m) and the gondola to 2,000m asl is open all year around. A lot of green season hikers love to use the gondola. As I wrote here last year, The Ritz-Carlton Nikko is opening by Lake Chuzenji, Nikko this year. This video is The Ritz-Carlton Nikko (and Marunuma Kogen is not far from the site)

Marunuma Kogen in autumn

Marunuma Kogen in summer

Some lodge owners in Marunuma Kogen have uploaded videos onto Youtube.

Born2skii and M_G like this.
  16. skifree

This looks Vnoice for a roadside stop compared to the older ones. Well lit and airy. :cool: :thumbs:

#2966 skifree, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Ramenman likes this.
  17. Ramenman

Today, I noticed my favorite lodge in Zao Bodaira Kogen is for sale now:eek:(and it's more reasonable than I had thought). As you can see in the picture below, it's ski-in ski-out lodge and it's higher than the bottom lift station. The condition is good and no need to renovate. I'm very interested in who is buying it:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fennekeg and skifree like this.
  18. Scoober

Scoober One of Us

Is it weird you post this picture and I get ads to do with socks? Is the lodge called “too cotton”?

Ramenman likes this.
  19. Ramenman

skifree and Hyst like this.
  20. Scoober

Scoober One of Us

Ramenman likes this.
  21. Ramenman

It's 38 million Yen. The condition of the lodge is good (I have stayed at the lodge) and whenever I stayed there, all or almost all guest rooms were occupied. A popular snowy ski-in ski-out lodge which you don't need to renovate = 38 million Yen is reasonable, I think. And it's the price that the owner initially says. In most cases, you can get them cheaper than the initial price. The owner couple might have a serious health issue and it might be the reason for them to have decided to sell their lodge.

We are lodge owners in Zao region (and Fukushima Pref), so we often hear which lodges in Tohoku (Especially Yamagata and Fukushima) are for sale now. Katashina village is not in Tohoku but I'm interested in the region, so I know which lodges are for sale now. Popular ski resort regions in Hokkaido and Central Honshu (such as Hakuba, Myoko, Nozawa Onsen, etc) have been attracting a lot of tourists from abroad in recent years, so I'm not worried and I'm not very motivated to promote them here. Tohoku and Katashina village, they need more guests in order to maintain the number of lifts and gondolas. I believe lodge owners are the best ambassadors for ski tourism villages, and I think Japanese ski resorts need foreign ambassadors to attract more tourists from abroad, so I sometimes write about lodges for sale so that more people here get interested in "becoming new ambassadors":p

2ESki, Scoober and Hyst like this.
  22. Ramenman

According to a real estate agency guy, the lodge is rare in that you can own the land even though it's inside a Quasi-National Park(higher areas of Zao mountains are inside Zao Quasi-National Park). So, you don't need to pay the land rent every year. Considering the land size, I guess it would be 200, 000 - 300,000 Yen per year but you don't need to pay it because you can own the land too, not only the building. Plus, it's on the main ski slope of Zao Liza World, so you can open a restaurant & bar and earn a lot from skiers / snowboarders who are not staying at your lodge as well. The lodge has the facilities for opening a restaurant & bar like the images below. It's a very new case in that the real estate agency started introducing the lodge only 5 days ago.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Ramenman

Several months ago, I wrote Cupid Valley would get closed and wouldn't open next season, but it seems another company that own and operate 4 ski resorts in Niigata and 1 ski resort in Nagano will operate Cupid Valley next season. So, Cupid Valley will open next season.

Tanuki, skifree and Sandy like this.
  24. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Who are the company?

25. Ramenman

The name of the company is "Smile Resort". It was reported today (The left person in the picture = the mayor of the city and the right person = the CEO of Smile Resort). Because of COVID-19, they are wearing masks, but they are handshaking:p. By the way, at first, I thought Smile Resort are just operating Cupid Valley and they won't invest but it seems they are actually investing for a new Onsen (or just a bath?) facility at Cupid Valley. I mean, Cupid Valley's Onsen suddenly started drying up, which was one of the reasons why the ex owner gave up making the business profitable. COVID-19 + the Onsen drying up but still, Smile Resort have decided to invest in the ski resort. I hope they are getting enough number of guests in the near future:)
    [​IMG]

Edit :
    A new roadside station in Niigata Prefecture (more exactly, Myoko - Arai) is opening next month. It's right next to a roadside station, so I'd say it's just an expansion. Recently, I often hear new roadside stations are opening (and many are close to ski resorts). The images below are the new roadside station opening in Myoko - Arai).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  26. Ramenman

A bit more about roadside stations near ski resorts in Central Honshu. This month, a new roadside station opened in Hakuba(near Cortina).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A new roadside station opened in Nozawa Onsen as well last year.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kimski, Tanuki and skifree like this.
  27. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

That one in Arai was meant to open earlier this year but was delayed. I'm pretty sure it's going to be a farmers market. There's another city owned one up the road in Sekiyama called 'Tomato'. Not sure about the future of that one.

Smile Resort was announced as new operators for Cupid Valley almost a month ago

Tanuki and Ramenman like this.
  28. m2711c

m2711c One of Us

on the banks of Fish Creek in lovely Taberg NY
    running a regular ski lodge tends to leave very little time to ski and this one has a slopeside bar... standing at a slopeside bar serving beers and whatnot to passing punters on skis sounds like a special form of hell to me. that goes double on any powder day.

got any ideas for summertime places that would be closed all winter so that I can ski every day?

Tanuki likes this.
  29. Ramenman

Haha, if you want to ski on powder days as a ski lodge owner, the best is making your family get involved in the business in my opinion. My family were just lucky. We bought a ski lodge before tourists from abroad started coming, so, it was when the lodges in ski resort villages were the cheapest (most ski lodges in Tohoku are still very cheap even now, though).

My parents are around 60 years old now. They bought the lodges to earn some after they would become the retirement age (Plus, they simply love to ski after retirement). I have several jobs and my main income is as an engineer (freelance 3D CAD teacher such as CATIA and Solidworks) and I support my parents's lodge business as well. When my parents ski, my brother and I work for the lodge. Now, it's like my parents, my brother and I = 4 people jointly own and operate the lodge. Even if we buy the 38 million Yen lodge (the ski-in ski-out at Zao Liza World), it's only less than 10 million Yen per person. We won't buy another lodge now, though.

For young people, ski lodge business can be a bit risky in that they might fail and they might have young kids to take care of. For couples who are around their retirement age with enough cash, ski lodge business can be really great, especially if their children also like skiing. If you are a 55 years old person with enough cash, and your child / children also like skiing, or your parents are around retirement age (55 - 65) and they also like skiing, owning a ski lodge is great for you just like my family:).

Tanuki and skifree like this.
  30. m2711c

m2711c One of Us

on the banks of Fish Creek in lovely Taberg NY
    who does the cooking?

31. Ramenman

A microwave oven;).

Seriously, the best retort pouch curries are as good as curry at average curry restaurants. Retort pouch means you can cook it by use of a microwave oven. You buy the retort pouch curry as a business, so, it'll be a bulk order. Bulk order means you can get a good retort pouch curry at 150 Yen or less. Rice is super cheap too. You can serve your guests curry rice at 700 Yen that you can make at 170 Yen;)

Recently, retort pouch ramens are also improving, some of them are amazingly yummy:love:

fennekeg likes this.
  32. 2nd_String_QB

2nd_String_QB Hard Yards

fennekeg and Ramenman like this.
  33. skichanger

Mmm I thought the pouches were sort of foiland may not be ok in the microwave. Will have to check it out.

As someone who cooks for guests etc it horrifies me that most places use those curries. They could at least use the roux you can buy ready made.

34. Ramenman

This August, a new tourism facility is opening in Tsuchiyu Onsen (It's near Minowa, and some other ski resorts in Aizu region such as Alts Bandai, Nekoma, Grandeco and Inawashiro). It consists of a brewery, a restaurant & bar, a fishing pond, etc. As to the brewery, it produces sakes made of Yume no Ka ( = new rice species that Fukushima Pref made for producing original sake) and some fruit alcohol beverages (such as apple alcohol beverage and apples produced in Fukushima Pref are used). As to the fishing pond, it's shrimp / lobster one. Being in an Onsen village near ski resorts, the region can provide both cold water and hot water and it means they can keep the water temperature of the artificial pond suitable for shrimps / lobsters, so they have the shrimp / lobster pond there. Even after COVID-19 hit, I recently often hear new tourism facilities opening in Tohoku, which is very good (I know it's because they were planned before COVID-19 hit and COVID-19 will affect the facilities opening in 2021 - 2023, rather than 2020).
    [​IMG]

35. Ramenman

Recently, more retort pouch ones are designed to be heated / cooked in a microwave oven. Look at the "RED" in the image below, and it says "You can cook by use of a microwave oven".

fennekeg likes this.
  36. Ramenman

Tokyu Railway Group own Grand Hirafu ski resort and they own Hotel Niseko Alpen as well. It was not reported but Tokyu Railway Group were planning to build a new hotel there and they reported the village (= Kutchan) about it because they were planning to buy the land from the village (some portion of the land of the hotel is owned by the village and Tokyu wanted to buy the whole land for the new hotel). But it seems Tokyu have decided to postpone the plan in the wake of COVID-19. I don't want to see COVID-19 affecting tourism industry like that.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/ホテルニセコアルペン/@42.8614686,140.6972042,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!3m7!1s0x5f0ab00e88c9e305:0x331f38907fe133f2!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d42.8614686!4d140.6993929

37. skichanger

Tokyu are huge. They also own Tangram, where I am and Gran Deco up at Inawashiro and maybe some others.

Ramenman likes this.
  38. Ramenman

Yep, Tokyu are big. While it is (or was?) rumored that Tokyu have decided to postpone building a new ski-in ski-out hotel in Niseko, they recently announced a redevelopment plan in Susukino = the biggest red light district of Sapporo city. Here is the image. There are a lot of redevelopment plants in Sapporo. Not sure how COVID-19 will affect them, though.
    [​IMG]

I've found this, not sure how accurate it is, though.

[​IMG]

39. Ramenman

I know 99.99% here are interested in winter, but green season mountain hiking / climbing is more popular here and a lot of videos filmed this month (June) are uploaded onto Youtube. These are some of them. The first one was filmed on Senjojiki, Nagano Pref. A ropeway goes to 2612m above sea level and it's famous for early summer skiing site. The video was filmed this month (June)

This video was filmed on Mt.Tanigawa this month (it's a mountain of Tenjindaira Ski Resort). Actually, it's a killer mountain. Between 1931 and 2012, 805 people have died on the mountain, and the death number is Guinness World Records. About Mt.Tanigawa : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Tanigawa

The 3 videos below are the videos that Hakuba village uploaded onto Youtube this month (they have an official Youtube channel and they uploaded the videos to promote green season business).

Hyst, crackson and skifree like this.
  40. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

And Kita- alps has a nice coverage of yamagoyas.
    Take you kid and make a trip, if you are in Japan - kids are very welcome, and you do not see that many hiking from yamagoya to yamagoya with their parent's, so everybody says goodbye.

Distance is fitting for young children and older Japanese between yamagoyas.
    Takamagahara onsen is a must in the area.
    https://kita-alps.yamagoya.gr.jp/ (does not show the more western parts from Toyama side :()
    https://kumonodaira.com/en/ and Mitsumata sanso have same owners and the father was a very great mountain photographer). Shoichi Ito https://kumonodaira.net/tokushu/shoichi-ito.html

https://kumonodaira.com/en/access/ (here you can find access from Toyama side - Oritate) https://kumonodaira.net/route/map_full_full.html

#2990 Hyst, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  41. Ramenman

They uploaded this video onto Youtube. It's at the base of Zao Liza World (1000m asl). It's mainly targeting green season visitors, though. Zao Bodaira Kogen (1000m asl and higher) is a national training center site (there are many facilities for athletes), and the new Onsen facility is mainly targeting athletes and green season visitors. Zao Liza World ski resort isn't crowded at all, especially midweek, the new Onsen facility will be like your private Onsen.

usedtacould likes this.
  42. TJ

TJ One of Us

The hiking in the region is sensational. I have been taking my now 10 year old up to the huts since she was 5. There is a mix of degrees of difficulty so you need to research the trails. Last year we did the Happo to Goryu Dake trail. There are a couple of spots where a fall along a chain line will result in death so a bit of a challenge for kids. At 9 she was fine with it but some kids might struggle with it. The beauty of the huts is that you don't need to carry much in your pack. They sell food and there are vendy machines full of beer. You can camp if you prefer. We were planning to do Yari onsen this year but they have just announced they will not be opening due to trail maintenance so I'm researching some other options. Maybe Jigatake or might just do Karamatsu again and bring the other now 5 y/o.

Froff Life, M_G, skifree and 5 others like this.
  43. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

The pond is a nice hike!!! :D

44. LMB

I’m sorry what?!?!?! TEN YEARS OLD!!! How did that happen?! :eek::eek:

45. TJ

TJ One of Us

yeah I know. Just got caught up in my photo album. So many adventures.

fennekeg, Hyst, Sandy and 1 other person like this.
  46. LMB

I think my youngest was not far off the same age when we stayed with you! And he’s been out of home 2yrs now. Time goes so damn fast!

47. Ramenman

I love green season hiking to high altitude lakes / ponds. There is a long 2000m class mountain range between Fukushima Pref and Yamagata Pref and there are many ponds there. A few of them are around 1800m asl. This pond is one of them.

On the long mountain range between Fukushima and Yamagata, there are a lot of hidden Onsen Ryokans which are closed in winter due to heavy snow. I like staying at those Onsen Ryokans when hiking to those ponds / lakes. This is one of them (at about 1000m asl).

Nuruyu Onsen Ryokan : http://www.takayuonsen.jp/nikaidou/

The Onsen Ryokan is at 1000m asl. If you prefer an easy / shorter hike, you can use Bandai Azuma Skyline. The road leads you to 1622m asl and there are restaurants, a big parking lot, etc there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Urabandai (the highland between Nekoma, Alts Bandai, Grandeco, Inawashiro, etc) also have many beautiful lakes / ponds. The highland is 800 - 900m asl surrounded by 1800 - 2000m mountains). We own a lodge there too. Considering the beauty and the accessibility to ski resorts, the real estates there are underestimated(there are many lodges for sale now too).

Hyst and fennekeg like this.
  48. Ramenman

Near Lake Inawashiro (it means, near Inawashiro ski resort, Alts Bandai, Nekoma, Grandeco, Minowa, etc), a new tourism site opened last weekend (June 27th). It used to be an elementary school but closed. They renovated the closed school to open as a new tourism facility which consists of outdoor gear shops(including Snow Peak), restaurants, etc. Recently, I keep hearing such new investments (which I've been waiting for), but it'll be a tough start for the business owners due to COVID-19.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About Lake Inawashiro : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Inawashiro
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

M_G, skifree and Hyst like this.
  49. Ramenman

In this thread, I've written a few times that the British prestigious boarding school Harrow School is opening at Appi Kogen. The construction started last week and the school will open in 2022 as it was initially planned. The new school will start with students mainly from Japan, China, South Korea and other Asian countries, but they are targeting rich family from Western countries as well in the long run. The construction site is between Appi Kogen ski resort and Appi Kogen golf resort (and it means, it's very near Appi Kogen train station). A Chinese company bought Appi and they are planning to open a hospital, a supermarket, etc as well. Reportedly, 2,000 people will start living in "the new village". It seems local governments are very supportive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All videos below were filmed in 2019 - 2020 season = the least snowiest (the worst) season in decades.

Appi Kogen in summer

About Harrow School : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrow_School
    [​IMG]

In this video, you'll see Appi Kogen Golf Resort and Appi Kogen Ski Resort. The new school is somewhere between them.

50. fukuro-no-mori

fukuro-no-mori Hard Yards

That Bandai Skyline looks like prime touring. Roads above treeline that are open to regular motor vehicles are not that common in Japan. Shiga Kogen and Utsukushigahara near Matsumoto are the best known ones in Nagano.

Based on the dorm and tuition fees at Harrow Bangkok, it looks like the Appi one will be 50,000USD a year to attend. Presumably big companies or governments will be footing the bill for some of the kids as perks to staff. To comfortably pay out of your own pocket, top 1% in Japan would not be enough. You'd have to be more like top 0.2 or 0.3% of male incomes.

Ramenman likes this.