1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Leather ski gloves...waterproof treatment?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Young Angus, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Early Days

I have a new pair of good leather ski gloves, Black Crows Manis (sexy blue ones) and the website says they have a waterproof membrane (doesn't say what type) but I'm wondering if I should still apply a waterproof leather treatment to them even when new?

I have another pair of leather ski gloves that came with a nikwax sachet that I applied, not sure how much it helped them be waterproof (they got pretty wet still) but the shop sold me some XTM Glove Guard for my new gloves when I asked them what they had. Should I bother putting it on or just wait and see how they go in the snow?

Does everyone just give their leather gloves a treatment from new straight up?

2. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Nup. Never have treated them.

3. brett gordon

brett gordon Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Not straight up. generally use snow seal after a few seasons wear. had swany leather gloves for ten years. hands always toasty and dry regardless of conditions.

Dumphfish and Chaeron like this.
  4. was June daily watching

was June daily watching One of Us

There are several brands, but this is good:

I bought some “mink oil” in Japan a few years ago, but haven’t ever used it.

Slalom, Hyst, Annabuzzy and 2 others like this.
  5. weerab

weerab One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have used Snoseal on mine but they still got completely wet after a couple of hours skiing in the rain. Gloves were Rab and they were completely useless. I was at Buller and could have got spare gloves from the car but couldn't be bothered getting the bus down and back up so I just went home. I bought a pair of OR overmitts the following week!

Chaeron likes this.
  6. Chaeron

Chaeron One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I used the Hestra balm sparingly throughout the life of the leather glove and applied the nixwax when new.

Generally weather treated leather ski gloves are sold ready for use without further treatment- but treating them won’t hurt.

Ongoing treatment seemed to make a difference- leather generally requires ongoing treatment irrespective of waterproofing.

In Oz snowmelt and moisture run-off from the jacket add to whether or not our gloves get wet - hence additional factors are the cut of the glove and whether or not the cuffs go over the glove.

I have come to prefer a larger gauntlet glove for wetter conditions and a lighter cut glove for less wet days.

7. Chaeron

OR overmitts rock!

8. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

My Buller gloves

MickM, kaegee, skifree and 2 others like this.
  9. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us

My everywhere else gloves

Chaeron likes this.
  10. Chaeron

Pow gauntlets?

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  11. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Overmitts/gauntlets cos leather gloves wont stay dry for ever in the usual Aus conditions, excellent on sunny days though..

12. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I have hestra gloves. I use the hestra treatment which I find far better than others. It waterproofs but also makes the leather soft and supple. I also have tried snowseal and the xtm stuff, but find both make the gloves somewhat tacky.

When you treat them it is good to do when they are slightly damp, as that allegedly opens the pores slightly on the leather, and the treatment penetrates better. That is the hestra recommendation. Don’t overdo it either.

My hestras have been pretty waterproof. However, I do use those blue xtm loader gloves when it gets really wet. They are the only way to keep the hands dry all day when its wet.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local Ski Pass: Gold

If the membrane is supposed to be breathable putting goo on will likely end that.
    But that's OK, it's only there for the marketing.

14. Jarryboy

Jarryboy Hard Yards

When it comes to surviving Buller weather I’ve always used whale oil on my Hestra’s, not the cheapest and certainly not the easiest to find in Hokkaido but definitely the best of the best. Also works well as beard balm

Attached Files:

15. Ziggy

eeuw!

16. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Always treat your leather gloves. I use Dubbin. It will not effect any membrane and will keep the leather in perfect shape.

Snowseal used to have silicone in it which isn't good for your leather. Not sure if it still does.

17. Young Angus

Young Angus Early Days

Some great advice here, the Hestra stuff was a much smaller container and double the price of the XTM but now I'm thinking I should have just shelled out for that.

I think I'll leave it for a bit before treating them though and see how they go without any pre-treatment, they're meant to be pretty waterproof anyway. I'll just take a second pair up with me in case these ones get too wet.

18. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

i have similar stuff to the Hestra - (free the Powder Stuff) and apply it once a season. Apply at least 2 days before using so that it dries completely, that little container lasts ages. Have five sets gloves for 3 years and still have about 1/4 tub left ($8) cheap

azzski and Hyst like this.
  19. Ziggy

I would expect that some makers treat the leather with silicone anyway for water proofing.
    Leather dries out over time and needs something. I use a Nikwax product on ski and motorbike gear.
    Whatever you choose it has to be compatible with the thread used for the seams.

20. Shrike

Shrike Hard Yards

I also use Dubbin on both my sets of gloves and have no issues, I find using a hair drier to help the leather absorb it helps

21. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The water is always more likely to get in through the big opening at the top. The one you put your hands into. Best to develop a way to seal this up with jacket, or go big gauntlets that are free of insulatation near the opening.

If its wet, your stuffed and the more important question to ask is why are you skiing in the rain? That sucks.

skifree, teleroo and Hyst like this.
  22. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'm a Dubbin fan also. Cheap and effective.

23. weerab

I used to use Dubbin on walking boots and it was great but really softened the leather too much IMO so that the boots actually got bigger!
    Because you have paid $120 or so for a lift ticket! I was really pissed off at Buller last season when most of the lifts were on wind hold. We were on some Poma and getting pushed sideways so they closed that. I think everything else was closed except for the main Bourke street lift, don't know the names. The lift queue was like the Myer spring sale or whatever with a 20 odd minutes wait to get on it. There was no refund offered, despite 90% of the lifts being closed. My experience with Buller has not been great!

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  24. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve used the Hestra stuff for years and really rate it.

I couldn’t find the Hestra stuff recently so got some Grangers leather treatment. It seems to work fine but just intuitively I feel the Hestra leather balm is better.

Either seems to work though

25. Ziggy

Or Sno-seal. Get it anywhere and it doesn't compromise synthetic thread.

Doesn't do much for breathability but I'm not sure anything does.

26. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

They're mostly either beeswax based (SnoSeal, Nikwax, Dubbin) or silicon based.

27. Ziggy

Sno-seal is pure beeswax. Dubbin a mix of stuff apparently. Nikwax is water-emulsified wax but the maker doesn't say what kind.

28. gettingtooold

gettingtooold One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Must admit I'm a fan if Dubbin for leather. Softens it and waterproofs also.

29. Ziggy

Just make sure it's compatible with synthetic thread.

30. weerab

I used Dubbin on a pair of Rossi hiking boots a while back and it softened the leather just a bit too much, they were like slippers, very comfy but too floppy!