Question Les Houches in early January?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Roarkie, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Roarkie

Roarkie Hard Yards

Hi all,

Heading to the UK for Christmas and New Year, and may have the opportunity to take a few days to head to the Alps. After a bit of research, it seems Les Houches near the Chamonix area appears the most affordable destinationthat I have come across, and it also works well in regards to travelling from Geneva. However, I noticed the base elevation is around 900m-1000m, and was wondering what typical snow cover/conditions I may expect in early January? This will be my first ski trip in Europe if it happens, so I'd appreciate some advice from those a lot more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks, Roarkie

Tanuki likes this.
  2. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Impossible to say, I've been to Chamonix once in January and it was epic, other years would be quite dry.

That said there are good buses to take you up the Cham valley to the higher resorts if the snow doesn't co-operate.

Les Houches is pretty, the scenery is stunning, the Les Houches ski area isn't that amazing but up the road there's some OK skiing.

Roarkie, Edgecrusher and LaNeige like this.
  3. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

Not much vertical and pretty flat ...

CarveMan and Roarkie like this.
  4. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us

There's always a risk it will be dry, but the later you leave it the smaller the risk, also there are a couple of resorts nearby which are higher and / or have very different aspects.

Roarkie likes this.