Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Yep all links lead to I am safe but just wanted someone to say that they had done it!

The airline has the power to stop me boarding I assume! Its Qantas so not like its an airline that is from a country that aren't permitted!

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
I am a worrywart from way back, but I would be getting a fresh passport. It may cost a few bucks for an urgent application, but what would being knocked back at check in or immigration cost you?

Reactions: qwill

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
Yep all links lead to I am safe but just wanted someone to say that they had done it!

The airline has the power to stop me boarding I assume! Its Qantas so not like its an airline that is from a country that aren't permitted!
I was taking to a Qantas check in staff member regarding this on a trip to Japan a couple of years ago. I had already triple checked to make sure our son was OK to travel as he only had 3 months left on his passport. Japan doesn't have the 6 month minimum law. She said it was the airlines responsibility to check the validity of the passport and the law applicable to the country visiting. If the traveller arrived at a country who's law was min 6 months validity on the passport and the passport did not have it, the passenger would be sent back on the next flight with all costs to the airline. As above, just print out the information and take it with you.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I was taking to a Qantas check in staff member regarding this on a trip to Japan a couple of years ago. I had already triple checked to make sure our son was OK to travel as he only had 3 months left on his passport. Japan doesn't have the 6 month minimum law. She said it was the airlines responsibility to check the validity of the passport and the law applicable to the country visiting. If the traveller arrived at a country who's law was min 6 months validity on the passport and the passport did not have it, the passenger would be sent back on the next flight with all costs to the airline. As above, just print out the information and take it with you.
Yeah i know all that! Which is why i am more worried about Qantas than actually getting in the country.

I just wish someone here had actually done it!

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
Don’t have direct experience with a passport less than 6 months but travelled to USA in January on Qantas. There was this weird pre immigration check as we got on the bus to go to the international terminal. They put a little sticker in the passport to show we had completed it. My point is the requirements appear to be fluid and so I would discount experiences of even a few years ago. Everything that I read leading up to the trip reinforced the 6 month rule. PS: I’m as conservative as hell when it comes to these things.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Don’t have direct experience with a passport less than 6 months but travelled to USA in January on Qantas. There was this weird pre immigration check as we got on the bus to go to the international terminal. They put a little sticker in the passport to show we had completed it. My point is the requirements appear to be fluid and so I would discount experiences of even a few years ago. Everything that I read leading up to the trip reinforced the 6 month rule. PS: I’m as conservative as hell when it comes to these things.
the same, rapid fire random questions.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Why not just get a new one? I’d be shitting myself.
Just don't have the head space to deal with it right now. It's a cop out I now, but it's the truth.

There is 6 business days til I fly, they cancel your current to just apply. So I could be screwed anyway.

Decided this risk is the risk I am more willing to take.

What's done is done now!

Slalom

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 17, 2013
Melbourne
We were only going to have 5 months left on ours for travel to Hawaii in May so decided to renew.
That said, it appears that you'll be all good. As you said, take the evidence with you just in case.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Just FYI. If you're Aussie travelling to NZ. You can travel right up-to the date of expiry.
Which... .was yesterday for me.
Dammit.
Oh.. . Let me go online and renew my passport in five minutes.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Just FYI. If you're Aussie travelling to NZ. You can travel right up-to the date of expiry.
Which... .was yesterday for me.
Dammit.
Oh.. . Let me go online and renew my passport in five minutes.

LOL

I went to NZ with 2 weeks left on mine.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust

They usually know the applicable rules, if you’re flying to Indo they wouldn’t board you.
Print the rules, ask for the manager.

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017
They usually know the applicable rules, if you’re flying to Indo they wouldn’t board you.
Print the rules, ask for the manager.
Yep, in our conversation she did use Indonesia as an example of minimum 6 months validity required from date of return (which I was aware of). She also mentioned the astronomical cost from LATAM to Qantas if they had to put a passenger back on the next plane to Australia from South America.

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
A few years back we boarded a Qantas flight with no return ticket to South Africa. Youngest child only had 8 months left on passport...we had a 3 year VISA to live in Namibia and intended to be away that long or longer. We got grilled no end about that.....all worked out in the end, they are just making sure you know what your in for if you get stuck in a foreign country without a valid passport. So print off your paper work and make sure you know what your talking about when you get grilled. You'll be fine.

Reactions: piolet

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Hope it all went ok. Other posters got the right take, be prepared to defend yourself against lightly educated airline staff attempting to enforce another country's passport and visa policy. But really they are just doing their best to prevent their airline from having to carry someone back at no charge after being denied entry to destination country.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
Hope it all went ok. Other posters got the right take, be prepared to defend yourself against lightly educated airline staff attempting to enforce another country's passport and visa policy. But really they are just doing their best to prevent their airline from having to carry someone back at no charge after being denied entry to destination country.
Yeah exactly right.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
So i still never got through to Qantas. However i spoke to my fav consultant at our corporate travel company this morning (about an unrelated matter) and she confirmed the rule. And also said that she has not heard of Q turning anyone away.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
They let me on no question!

Woot
IMG_20180323_1650577.jpg

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Friend got turned away at the airport in February as their child had just under 6 months on the Passport and airline would not carry them with the risk of being returned.

I wouldn’t risk it

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Friend got turned away at the airport in February as their child had just under 6 months on the Passport and airline would not carry them with the risk of being returned.

I wouldn’t risk it
But where were they flying? As I understand it, some countries have different rules. My friend just got back from the US, had 4 months left on his passport (when flying in), no probs reported.

Reactions: LMB

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Exactement, or even being fined for bringing the passenger to the border in the first place, such as when United executives visited Australian Immigration to complain about the near $1M they had been fined for flying people to the Australian border with no visa, United check-in staff in the mid west thinking ETA meant no visa needed.

Most Immigration agencies run 24/7 help centres for carriers to contact, e.g. in Oz it is the Entry Operations Centre so if refused boarding insist the carrier check direct. I do not know what the US Homeland Security equivalent would be but they would have one. So for example when checking in on a CX flight from Sydney via HKG to JFK last September I had completed the Advance Passenger Information but because the flights out of the US were on a different carrier (on ANA using all my Aeroplan points) the check-in clerk saw a notification that she had to sight a printout of my ANA ticket issued by Aeroplan and then request the US immigration system using the SITA interface to their systems to authorise boarding. The SITA system runs on mainframes in Atlanta GA and even parts of Australia's ETA system is hosted there. So it is all integrated and no need to rely on an airline staff member to know the rules for every country.

Still the 6 months validity rule is quite common as a Google search will show, and it goes back to pre- integrated computer system days, or even pre computer days, so it can pay to check.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne

I wouldn’t risk it

It’s not risky. The regulations dependent on country are very clear and publicly available. Follow the rules for your destination and no problems at all.

Reactions: Ozgirl and sara777

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy

I wouldn’t risk it

Lol

It was totes fine! No one mentioned it.

I was grilled more about my job title!

Reactions: sara777

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
I've seen a US border guard allow a Canadian in with a passport that was expired by a decade. There was a specific reason and duration for the trip, with accompanying documentation, and of course it was a land crossing. He even joked, "What, you don't like us anymore?" Coming back in, the Canadian Border Services guy processed the three passports and one driver's licence without even a comment.

Completely different story at airline check in of course, and not for a moment would I suggest trying to fly on an expired passport. But I too have traveled with a passport close-ish to expiry and have withstood comments and objections from airline personnel. In all cases there was no problem when actually passing through immigration. The airlines are protecting themselves; get the facts ahead of time and stand your ground.

Reactions: Ozgirl
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass