Less than 6mths on passport

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
So just another quick update.

No one said a word to me UNTIL arrival back in Australia!

For some stupid reason (i blame lack of sleep) we queued to see an immigration dude rather than do the electronic one.

Anyone it was then that someone said, "oh looks like you are due to renew, best get onto that. Oh and for future reference you actually needed to have done it before you left the country?'

Actually i can't remember the exact words, but he basically tried to imply i had broken so rule.

I reply "really? The US didn't seem to care and i believe there are a few other countries who also don't care'

He was surprised by that - but really, I am coming back in. Trust me i went on my holiday just fine dude!

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Grumpy and overly officious dills.
Absolutely.
Don’t take it personally @Ozgirl .
The security dude leaving PERTH airport could barely speak English and was screaming at my near 70 yr old 5ft mother to stand on the feet pictures to wait for a woman to come and pat her down. Guy was almost standing on the feet so Mum wouldn’t step foreword she felt intimidated and threatened. Escalated quickly.
She shouldve just moved onto the foot prints. But really douches on power trips should not be working immigration and security at airports. You need good communicators who can do the job while calming situations rather than creating them where they don’t exist.

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Actually i can't remember the exact words, but he basically tried to imply i had broken so rule.

I reply "really? The US didn't seem to care and i believe there are a few other countries who also don't care'

He was surprised by that - but really, I am coming back in. Trust me i went on my holiday just fine dude!

If you're an Australian citizen, they really have little choice but to watch as you re-enter your own country. The passport is just as much proof of citizenship a few weeks before expiry as it was when first issued, same if it was a few weeks after expiry. They can puff and posture all they want, while you remain polite and patiently for them to finally step out of your way. I've been given guff by immigration officials for using both my Canadian and Australian passports for different legs of a journey, but they surely cannot prevent a documented citizen from returning home.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Absolutely.
Don’t take it personally @Ozgirl .
The security dude leaving PERTH airport could barely speak English and was screaming at my near 70 yr old 5ft mother to stand on the feet pictures to wait for a woman to come and pat her down. Guy was almost standing on the feet so Mum wouldn’t step foreword she felt intimidated and threatened. Escalated quickly.
She shouldve just moved onto the foot prints. But really douches on power trips should not be working immigration and security at airports. You need good communicators who can do the job while calming situations rather than creating them where they don’t exist.
Oh i didn't i was polite but firm.

and @sly_karma that's pretty much what i said to YK!

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
If you're an Australian citizen, they really have little choice but to watch as you re-enter your own country. The passport is just as much proof of citizenship a few weeks before expiry as it was when first issued, same if it was a few weeks after expiry. They can puff and posture all they want, while you remain polite and patiently for them to finally step out of your way. I've been given guff by immigration officials for using both my Canadian and Australian passports for different legs of a journey, but they surely cannot prevent a documented citizen from returning home.
Yep a colleague of mine (when in the agency) whose Aus ppt had expired used it to re-enter no probs. While abroad he had used his Netherlands ppt for travel.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chunky

Pool Room
Jul 24, 1998
brisbane,qld,aus
Oof, five at once is a bit of cash.
Yep I didn't enjoy paying for them. For me and wifey it's two pages - very quick. For the kids it's a 6-7 page essay (can't remember exactly) - have to prove everything. I could get that if it was a brand new passport but why can't it be the same process as us if we are renewing as we have already done all the certifications proving who they are before.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
I have to renew... annoying thing is our next OS holiday will be our honeymoon. Sigh, I get the joy of getting a new one issued when it's barely a year old (yes,yes after the honeymoon!) Does it cost the same as a new one?

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Easy for a male to say!

I have to use my passport to register the birth of my child. So keeping it as my ID for the next 10years is a bit silly if I am changing my name everywhere else.

(Am assuming that's what you mean as I said I would change it after the honeymoon cause impossible to change between wedding and flight)

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Yep I didn't enjoy paying for them. For me and wifey it's two pages - very quick. For the kids it's a 6-7 page essay (can't remember exactly) - have to prove everything. I could get that if it was a brand new passport but why can't it be the same process as us if we are renewing as we have already done all the certifications proving who they are before.
Try doing it when you’re divorced and other parent isn’t cooperative!

Reactions: Ozgirl

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Try doing it when you’re divorced and other parent isn’t cooperative!
Slightly off topic, but when we renewed our daughter's passport post-divorce we sat down and did all the paperwork at the same time at an access changeover with a friend of my ex's doing all the necessary witnessing. It was convenient to do it that way, instead of posting bits of paper between Sydney and Brisbane. This obviously triggered an alarm in the passport office and they rang me to check that everything was OK.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
No you didn't miss an announcement.

But I was reading what you need to register a child online now and (saw an advert for it) a current passport was right up there!

Reactions: piolet

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Slightly off topic, but when we renewed our daughter's passport post-divorce we sat down and did all the paperwork at the same time at an access changeover with a friend of my ex's doing all the necessary witnessing. It was convenient to do it that way, instead of posting bits of paper between Sydney and Brisbane. This obviously triggered an alarm in the passport office and they rang me to check that everything was OK.
I now have full parental responsibility, so last time was fairly easy. Present court orders with all documentation, single signature. Easy.

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne
I have to renew... annoying thing is our next OS holiday will be our honeymoon. Sigh, I get the joy of getting a new one issued when it's barely a year old (yes,yes after the honeymoon!) Does it cost the same as a new one?

They credit back $$ if it is a name change for marriage I believe.

Reactions: Ozgirl
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass