Lessons in Perisher

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by BrindiCruiser, Feb 10, 2018.

1. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Hi,
    I think I will be getting a Perisher Season pass this year and then heading to Whistler or Sunpeaks in Jan19 .

I am trying to decide whether to do 5 or so lessons in Whistler, Sun Peaks or in Australia before we go.

5 day camps at Whistler are 775CAD per child and 550CAD at Sunpeaks.

The children (11, 9, 7) have been skiing 5-10 days per year for the last 4 years. The two younger girls seem to have plateaued at green easy blue level. The oldest is progressing quite well but could do with some work to improve technique.

I can't find the price of lessons on the perisher site, or whether they have any "5 day camps" or programs. Does anyone remember the costs of the kids lessons from Perisher last year?

On a related note, at least 6 days of the 10 days we are planning will be in NSW school holidays, so I am worried about mega large classes where the kids don't achieve much out of the lessons. Any experience with school holiday lessons?

oldgeezer likes this.
  2. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Ski Pass - Gold

You don't say what skiing competency you're talking about, but as a rule I've never had any issues with kids lessons. Sure, smaller classes certainly work better, but they do try to keep the size reasonable. They're never wasted lessons.

We never do a family trip to the snow without lessons, but that's prolly just my bias.

BrindiCruiser likes this.
  3. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

School holidays are busy for everything, including lessons. Make sure you pre-book early. Something else to consider, since you have 3 kids relatively close in age/abilities, it may work out better to get a private group lesson instead.

4. Zimbooo

Zimbooo Hard Yards

If your family of 5 have a Epic season pass each at Perisher don't you all get 10 days free skiing at Whistler?
    So..........lessons at Perisher or Whistler.

5. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

That is exactly the dilemma that I am facing. I am trying to decide with my money is better spent teaching the kids lessons overseas or here in Australia. I am leaning towards spending money here so they better when they get to the overseas resorts.

I’m also just trying to work out a budget exercise . I am surprised how hard it is to work out the price of lessons these days .

6. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

I have bought private lessons for the kids bit in the past. Ie selwyn. Trying to work out how much would cost at Perisher, and whether there is a maximum number of people per private lesson.

7. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

One thing that I do notice is that lessons seem a lot more expensive when Buying the lesson alone alone . Compared to buying a lift and lesson pass.

I have two girls who are lower intermediate upper beginner. My boy is a solid intermediate.

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

This is why god invented spreadsheets.

9. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Been spreadsheeting quite a bit today. I think I preferred it when the prices for skis and lessons was actually displayed on a table on the resort website.

I still don’t know what lesson costs at either Thredbo or Perisher.

Tanuki likes this.
  10. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

You do get a reasonable discount on lessons at Perisher with a season pass (about 15%, I think). My children have gained a lot from the all-day lessons at Perisher (Front Valley), although you can also book 3 hour lessons at Blue Cow or Smiggins. A quick glance back at my credit card statement for last August (when we had 5 days at Perisher) shows that I spent about $576 for four day lessons for my two boys (that’s between them). The daily rate is around $110, from memory, but gets cheaper with multi-day lessons. They had the same instructor most of the time and got to ski some pretty advanced terrain (eg Kamikaze, Double Trouble) with a bunch of other boys and one very brave ski instructor. I also had them booked into the 5 day adventure camp at Whistler. This was excellent, and cost $761 per child (including tax - don’t forget to add on tax to any prices quoted in Canada). So Perisher is much cheaper, but you have a vaster mountain area, more varied terrain, and a somewhat better quality product in Whistler.

11. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Ski Pass - Gold

They won't put their prices up till the season starts.

Buying lessons packaged with lift tickets is definitely the most economical way to buy lessons by a wide margin. From memory, the next best option is to buy lessons about a week in advance (at least at Perisher, subject to change each season at the whim of management).

12. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Ski Pass - Gold

The Lesson prices at Perisher vary depending on how far ahead of time you buy them, their epic passes will also get 25% off.

Private lessons are the same price for up to 5 students.

I've only done a few days of work with the kids, but there is a limit to the number of kids lessons that Perisher will sell at Perisher so book really if you decide to go with Perisher. I've not had more than 10 in a class. I haven't taught kids at Smiggins or Blue Cow.

The Camps offered at Perisher are through the Winter Sports Club and aimed at kids starting competition through to serious race programs, prolly a bit above your kids. With the kids Perisher does their best to keep kids with the same instructor once they settle into a group.

13. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Did you also tip the instructor? I think that’s expected too. I thought about getting a private for myself at Breckenridge but the cost was eye watering.

14. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Thanks to all the people who have shared info.

I just looked and saw this under epic pass benefits

With your Epic Australia Pass, enjoy great discounts on lessons!

With your Epic Australia Pass you’ll save up to 25% on lessons when purchased online, in advance. “

No probs booking in advance; seems like a good idea in school hols anyway.

15. JeremyG

JeremyG Hard Yards

The question I would be asking is where do you want to have your free skiing (no kids). For me that would be Whistler. I enjoy the whole day skiing with the kids at Perisher, but in Whistler you may find there is so much more of the mountain you want to explore without kids.

16. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Yes I did - $20 each instructor. So it all adds up!

Edit - this is for Whistler, of course, not Perisher!

oldgeezer and BrindiCruiser like this.
  17. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Excellent point. I would like a bit of kid free skiing at both places. BUT I do like idea of kids being able to take advantage of the opportunity of skiing more terrain at whistler.

18. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Telephat- do you remember the cost for private lessons from last year?

19. Telemark Phat

Ski Pass - Gold

It depends if you were to walk up to the window the day you wanted the lesson from memory three hour privates were about $500 and the tep hour afternoon private was about $300. But you can only buy them on the day, so your choice of instructor is much more limited. But my with my dyslexia and the price varying so much take those numbers with a big grain of salt. If try giving Perisher a call.

20. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

I found an instructor for us at Jackson on skidiva. I went to tip and she refused. Claimed she had a great time with us. Which was lovely!

But yeah the private lesson was eye-watering in itself... and then to tip on top!

21. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

Just a tip: last year (and things can change) it cost less to book a 2 hour private lesson at Smiggins or Blue Cow LESS THAN 7 days prior to the lesson. Otherwise I think the options were 3 hour or all day private lessons at Front Valley which were much more expensive. I can’t remember the cost, off-hand, just that the Blue Cow/Smiggins short notice lessons were cheaper. They weren’t necessarily easy to track down on the website, though. The terrain at Smiggins is obviously much cruisier, with somewhat more challenging runs available at Blue Cow (but also a good variety).

22. Telemark Phat

Ski Pass - Gold

Lessons tend to be cheaper at Blue Cow and smiggs to spread out demand.

23. BrindiCruiser

BrindiCruiser Hard Yards

Did not know that either.

I am thinking I will get the epic pass with skitube. Maybe stay at pender Lea to avoid traffic.lessons at blue cow.

24. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Hard Yards

Nice. Apart from pure snowplay which will be at Selwyn I'm figuring on Smiggins for the little'ns and hope we can get a lesson or two for them but that will be a last minute thing so that info is reassuring.

25. Telemark Phat

Ski Pass - Gold

Those afternoon standby private lessons can only be bought after 12:00pm on the day. I don't know if there is an onilne discount vs fronting up at the desk.

26. Lady Penelope

Ski Pass - Gold

The ones I bought weren’t the same day standby variety - you could book them online within 7 days of the lesson. Required some hunting to find them!

Arsas likes this.
  27. Arsas

Arsas Hard Yards

I also found the same lessons as Lady Penelope. The start time was 1:30pm for 2 hours, the lessons had to be at Blue cow or Smiggins. Cost was about $170???? really good deal considering it was school holidays.
    The only issue with afternoon classes with younger kids is they start to get tired and have zero attention span.