1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Lessons learnt, re ski mounting.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Hrafnagud, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Hrafnagud

Hrafnagud First Runs

Hey guys,

Long time lurker here, never thought I'd have anything to contribute so I never created an account. Ran into some difficulties with a ski mount recently, thought I'd share the story.

TLDR; Paid reputable Sydney ski shop $100 to mount skis couple of yrs ago. Recently swapped bindings from Teles to AT, found that one ski was mismounted. Ski shop hid the mismount initially and won't admit fault now.

Lesson learnt: Check your binding mounts, even when it's done by a pro.

Story/ Spiel: I have a pair of Volie BC Vectors with G3 Enzo bindings. I got them from the states in late 2014 and got them mounted by a ski shop in Sydney; paid $100 for the mount.

I recently decided to swap to an insert system (thanks to @sbm_ for the BindingFreedom parts) so that I can run both AT and Tele bindings on the Voiles.

Did the insert mount on the first ski, everything went ok, holes lined up. Started removing the binding on the second ski and realized that I was looking at 2 sets of drill holes. One set had been plugged. Photo below.

I realized that one of the skis had been incorrectly mounted. However, as the tele binding riser plate was so big the shop could fit in a redill, and it wasn't visible unless the bindings was removed. Lets face it, in 99% of cases the shop would have gotten away with it as people rarely remount skis.

Managed to dig up the mount receipt and went into the shop today. Basically got nowhere as the receipt only said "workshop services", and the skis weren't purchased there. I was told that they 'have mounted millions of skis and that mistakes did not happen'.

I'm now going to try to somehow mount my dynafits into a location that won't clash with the plugs or the existing holes.

Abit bummed about the whole situation. I understand from the shop's perspective that they don't have to do anything as it's a 'he said, she said' scenario even with the reciept, but yeah, I'll be mounting my own skis from now on. If I was to ever use a shop again I'll tell them to leave the bindings unmounted after a drill and install the bindings/screws in myself.

https://imgur.com/RD1HNN2

skifree likes this.
  2. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

So far as I know only one SYDNEY ski shop charges $100 to mount bindings

siballah likes this.
  3. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Where are the new holes to go on the double drilled ski?

PS upload pics direct here and avoid imgur. Better quality.

Hrafnagud likes this.
  4. Hrafnagud

Hrafnagud First Runs

Will do.

My proposed mount location is currently between the front 2 screws. I think with my BSL of 301mm I might be able to squeeze it in and stay close to the ski mount point without any clashing.

Only issue is that I'm going to be installing the original TLT speed turn 1.0 with the 5 hole mount (one more hole at the tip), which will mean that it might sit between plugs/current hole (as per the vertical red line in the attached photo). I'll figure something out I guess.

Attached Files:

5. rowdyflat

rowdyflat One of Us

Insert system sounds a good idea .
    Obviously important that they are perpendicular so no chance of cross threading.
    Agree the apprentice must have stuffed up the binding mount holes.
    Using a jig that would have been difficult , especially with the measure 6 times , drill once method.
    Skis will be fine just check there are no cracks in the plugs.

6. skifree

I'd fill the holes with epoxy and no plugs.

If the new hole is where the red lines cross you would normally be OK, but...

Except Voile save a fair bit of weight by providing very little meet for the binding screws. Which is why they will not warrant telemark bindings on their skis. Which is really weird coming from a supposedly touring orientated company. So there is no warrantee any binding is going to stay in. You'll just have to accept the risk.

All my bindings have been with inserts for many years now.

When I changed from 75mm to NTN there were a few skis that had a bunch of filled holes and new inserts.

I do have a pair that are set up for duel bingings being ATK Newmark and Meidjos. I'll look for some pics to illustrate the examples.

7. Hrafnagud

Hrafnagud First Runs

@skifree How close did you install your inserts next to your filled holes when you switched form 75mm to NTN?

Did abit more work this arvo.

[​IMG]
    As far as i can see i have 2 options:

1. Mount it 1-1.5cm forwards of Voile's recommended line, have a row of 3 holes (not ideal)
    [​IMG]

2. Mount it 0.5cm backwards of the line, no clashes. It does get close to one of the plugs though.
    [​IMG]

8. skifree

I just juggled the position to get the best miss of the old holes, that was the priority, I can't remember the resulting shift in boot centre for the bindings for the boot centre on the ski but it was not much, less than 20mm.

9. skifree

So here is a ski set up for 75mm (G3/BD pattern) and NTN Meidjo.

The 75mm holes have now been de-inserted and filled with epxoy.

10. skifree

Another example of 75mm to Meidjo change over here, the red on the left had the 75mm holes epoxy filled and inserts for Meidjo installed. The spacings do not meet the manufacturers warrantee requirements, but nuffin has failed yet. Not that the red ski get skied that much. The green ones (repeat of above example) are the daily driver and get used a lot.

The skis on the right, the Moonlights are now set up with threads for Meidjo and ATK Newmarks, they are super swiss cheese. There is a pic somewhere in the forum but not on my local machinery.

11. Team Weasel

Team Weasel One of Us

Yeah, shops can do shoddy jobs, and then deny all knowledge of said job. The reality is that no one cares about your ski mount more than you, hence I learned pretty quick to do my own.

Inserts can get pretty damn close to one another and be fine. 5mm between inserts is heaps. I've gone less and had no problems.

Chaeron and skifree like this.
  12. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

If you mount a few hundred skis a year you're bound to make one or two dumb mistakes.

DPS Driver, Hrafnagud and skifree like this.
  13. Hrafnagud

Hrafnagud First Runs

Yeah, mistakes happen. Hiding the mistake from the customer and hoping they don't find out isn't cool.

Further insinuating that the customer is lying when presented with a receipt, albeit from 4 years ago, about a shoddy mount job when one ski has clearly been plugged makes it worse.

I try to support local shops as much as I could but this experience has seriously made me reconsider. With most ski companies having global warranties nowadays I'd rather chance it with online shopping moving forwards.

southpaw likes this.
  14. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I agree entirely.

southpaw likes this.
  15. skifree

How did you go with your 3pin mount the other day?