1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Lessons when limited runs are open

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Adam_P, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Adam_P

Adam_P Hard Yards

Hi regulars, a quick question.

For the last 4 yrs, I have always put my kids (now 10, 12 & 14) in lessons of various types. Last year they were in level 6 & 7 classes. We are down next week and wondering if there are limited runs open, then did anyone have any thoughts about how lessons at that level play out?

Last year they seemed to spend most of their time on runs that currently aren't open. I presume part of it is the instructors taking higher level classes want to get away from the crowded areas and I am sure that once they are teaching higher level classes it would be more enjoyable for them to be taking the kids off to the more fun parts of the mountain.

I realize that you can always learn something no matter what run you are on, but wondering if the runs are limited, then should I cut back a bit on the lessons this year?

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

What are your/their objectives with lessons?

if racing is important then lessons would probably still be good. If having fun is important then being in a lesson might make limited runs more enjoyable. Babysitting is pretty important to some parents.
    If it's max improvement for min dollars then maybe not so many lessons

3. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Most technical progression will happen on blue runs with a good instructor.
    A problem may occur with crowding.

LaNeige and currawong like this.
  4. skull

skull One of Us

cruiser and gunbarrel were open on the weekend. Providing access to high noon, ballroom, squatters run and walkabout. In the afternoon on Sunday walkabout and squatters run was pretty full with thredboland classes but they all seemed to be moving along quite nicely.

5. Interruptedbyfireworks

Interruptedbyfireworks One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Not sure about limited runs being a factor, but on the weekend I tried to do a lesson and they didn’t have enough staff and I had to go with a lower level group and it was pretty much a waste of time and money. That’s an adult class though, not sure if they prioritise kids or not.

skull likes this.
  6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

If anyone knows where there will be decent snow on decent terrain it will be the instructors.

LaNeige and currawong like this.
  7. Funky

Funky One of Us

Good question, especially when it comes to kids.

I don't know the answer. As an adult, at those levels, you'd spend a lot of your time on Super Trail / High Noon etc.

Kids, I'm not so sure. My kids are similar level, but a bit younger. I know for them it is important to be going off and hitting a variety of runs and being challenged and going off exploring things.

Other benefits of doing lessons when not much open... ie queue jumping thanks to lessons. The instructors may be able to find those few extra things that you and I don't know about.

8. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Put them in. They'll have fun and they will learn.

Instructors are paid to make it fun and the things they can come up with on limited terrain is incredible. Think about the alternative too. They're with you all day whinging about how bad it is and why can't we ski here or here or last year was much better dad. This sucks dad.

9. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

If you can get them in. Ski schools are getting smashed this year.