Let's be honest, the VIC snowcams suck

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Well they do.

The NSW ones show lots of different aspects of the mountain, in both snowmaking and non snowmaking areas.

There are at least 6 or 7 at both Perisher and Thredbo that give you a really decent indication of the cover at all altitudes. CP cams also good.

VIC? Meh. The bottom of Summit at Falls (looking uphill) gives you a good indication, as does the one at the bottom of Heavenly at Hotham looking up. The rest are junk.

Discuss.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
EXHIBIT A: Even on a foggy day, Valley view at Thredbo gives an absolute tip top view of the mountain, showing both snowmaking and non-snowmaking areas.
upload_2019-7-29_14-32-12.png

Reactions: DPS Driver

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Well they do.

The NSW ones show lots of different aspects of the mountain, in both snowmaking and non snowmaking areas.

There are at least 6 or 7 at both Perisher and Thredbo that give you a really decent indication of the cover at all altitudes. CP cams also good.

VIC? Meh. The bottom of Summit at Falls (looking uphill) gives you a good indication, as does the one at the bottom of Heavenly at Hotham looking up. The rest are junk.

Discuss.
yes they suck, but does it actually matter? there have been many threads that discuss snowcams. For experienced skiers and boarders familiar with a particular resort, what they most value is usually something really boring that lets them see recent falls, whether it's wet, visibility. So the best Falls Creek cam is the cedarwood balcony, provided by the manager of that lodge. The best Buller one is the village square one which is provided by some forum members. (The old slalom st car park cam at Falls Creek was the most useful cam ever, thanks to @Ian D)

Vistas of snow covered runs tell you very little except if cover is really crap. Looks nice for marketing. That Thredbo webcam above could have been taken after all night rain, or the afternoon after a big dump but where sun and wind had since removed snow from trees. It may not have snowed for a week

Last edited:

Rick Ross Da Boss

One of Us
Jul 19, 2017
yes they suck, but does it actually matter? there have been many threads that discuss snowcams. For experienced skiers and boarders familiar with a particular resort, what they most value is usually something really boring that lets them see recent falls, whether it's wet, visibility. So the best Falls Creek cam is the cedarwood balcony, provided by the manager of that lodge. The best Buller one is the village square one which is provided by some forum members. (The old slalom st car park cam at Falls Creek was the most useful cam ever, thanks to @Ian D)

Vistas of snow covered runs tell you very little except if cover is really crap. Looks nice for marketing. That Thredbo webcam above could have been taken after all night rain, or the afternoon after a big dump but where sun and wind had since removed snow from trees. It may not have snowed for a week
Agree, if you no the resort a cedarwood style cam is the best and all I really look at.
Although these 360 degree cams are pretty cool to check out on sunny days

Well they do.

Discuss.

do you ski Vic or NSW?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com

I agree with both points of view TBH.

Obviously I've put my money where my mouth is by contributing* to an HD upgrade of the Buller Village Square cam - it's not a scenic cam, but it's very informative.

* @DbSki let me give you some cash!

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Mind you... we are miles behind Europe and the USA...
and miles in front of Japan.
NZ webcams are pretty decent on the whole.

Reactions: Rick Ross Da Boss

crackson

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 20, 2006
Thredbo cams are easily the best.

Important source of condition info.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Serious question:

I understand locals hate the surf cams pointing at 'their' spot as it draws a crowd (which I completely understand).

Does a similar thing happen with snow cams? Do locals prefer the cams to be of crap quality vs an array of different angles revealing all?

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Serious question:

I understand locals hate the surf cams pointing at 'their' spot as it draws a crowd (which I completely understand).

Does a similar thing happen with snow cams? Do locals prefer the cams to be of crap quality vs an array of different angles revealing all?

No, and fortunately due to site constraints to locate a cam we wont see one pointing at any fav spots any time soon.

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
do you ski Vic or NSW?
NSW but also v partial to Hotham and often dream of a quick 8 hr jaunt down the Hume Hwy which sadly happens all too rarely. Hotham cams are the worst. I mean you know whether the snow’s reasonable or not by whether Orchard is open. It’s a pretty reliable benchmark. But would still be good to have a proper webcam looking out to gotcha area or spargos or somewhere

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Aahh, stop your whinging. At least you have snowcams.
Lake Mountain in its infinite wisdom decided it was too good for snowcams this year and has chopped the lot of them, other than the gimmicky 360 deg one. So they can up get up to stuff that no one knows about. Pisses me off no end.
It's probably the only place in the world that calls itself a resort, but has no snowcams.

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Falls had a cam showing the FX lift queue. That's now turned to point up the slope. Brilliant.

It had a 360 on the Ruined Castle side. That's now gone. That gave a good indication of visibility and how busy the runs were. There's the 360 Drovers remaining which provides something of those for southside green and blue runs and some pretty views on a fine day.

There are more cams on the app than the website.

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
NSW but also v partial to Hotham and often dream of a quick 8 hr jaunt down the Hume Hwy which sadly happens all too rarely. Hotham cams are the worst. I mean you know whether the snow’s reasonable or not by whether Orchard is open. It’s a pretty reliable benchmark. But would still be good to have a proper webcam looking out to gotcha area or spargos or somewhere
Hotham used to have that whole valley cam which was pretty good.
Now they are junk-time at best.

Reactions: Ramshead

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Aahh, stop your whinging. At least you have snowcams.
Lake Mountain in its infinite wisdom decided it was too good for snowcams this year and has chopped the lot of them, other than the gimmicky 360 deg one. So they can up get up to stuff that no one knows about. Pisses me off no end.
It's probably the only place in the world that calls itself a resort, but has no snowcams.
Wow just noticed that. That’s hopeless

bywong_yuki

One of Us
May 1, 2009
Bywong
Personally I would love a live cam of the lift load on the Ridge chair at Blue cow. I could then check how big the queue is whilst going up Summit chair.

Reactions: skiflat

Ramshead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 5, 2006
Sydney
Personally I would love a live cam of the lift load on the Ridge chair at Blue cow. I could then check how big the queue is whilst going up Summit chair.
That's a really good thought, but would Perisher ever put a cam there? The Ridge queue is the resort's eternal shame. It needs a Mt P style sister lift running beside it

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
Mt Buller’s geography means it’s shrouded in fog much of the time. The only one that’s consistently useful, and very much so, and can provide all the information you need when you know the mountain, is the Village Square cam.

Thanks @DbSki and @luvthabumps,

(and Heaven help us all if @luvthabumps ever forgets to pay his internet subscription!:eek: )

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
I've noticed a number of the lower lift stations at Perisher now have cameras pointing at the queues, though I suspect they are for the resort only. It would be nice if they could make them publicly accessible through the app so you can decide to go to a different part of the resort.

The Plowking

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 15, 2000
Bonbeach, Vic
Serious question:

It's kind of redundant these days.
Just a good confirmation tool.
Everyone's educated surf/swell wise anyway. Swellnet etc. There's still windows of opportunity where i regularly surf, camera pointing straight at it.
I used to hate it. Now I just shrug and use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowBound

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I’m a bit surprised Vic skiers have been so laid back about the cams. Day ticket prices seem to be going up faster than ever and yet snow-info wise its been going backward.

And as I’ve stated on another thread, woukd it-be so hard for Buller RM to install cam that provides a decent view of the summit/upper slopes? Maybe mount in the lee of summit or Grimace chairs

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I've noticed a number of the lower lift stations at Perisher now have cameras pointing at the queues, though I suspect they are for the resort only. It would be nice if they could make them publicly accessible through the app so you can decide to go to a different part of the resort.
There is lots of CCTV at Perisher.

Reactions: skiflat and skifree

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
I’m a bit surprised Vic skiers have been so laid back about the cams. Day ticket prices seem to be going up faster than ever and yet snow-info wise its been going backward.

And as I’ve stated on another thread, woukd it-be so hard for Buller RM to install cam that provides a decent view of the summit/upper slopes? Maybe mount in the lee of summit or Grimace chairs

3 things you need for cam location
Power, Internet access and a Building of sorts to attach it to firmly enough it doesn't shake in winds which will result in blurred images.

I am assuming they have net access via the BSL WiFi network although not sure how far that extends.
For Grimus, it is still in Diesel so no power there and even if it goes electric it still may not have it at the top station.
Top of summit I doubt has mains power and not worth running it up there just for a camera.
Nearest option aside from Koflers T might be the rear of Merc Chair top station which would cover Grimus, Boggy and surrounds
Or Koflers Cafe where it used to be but if they put one up there again it would be better facing toward Howqua direction.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Far as I know anything seen in public domain is public.
Sure, until someone says "my significant other is divorcing me because you displayed my face on the cam" or "I got got fired as I told my boss I was sick" and "now I'm suing you" ;) , or more seriously "my stalker found out where I was because you could see my face on the cam"

If the cams were further back and just showed the lift base and queue in general it should be ok.

DbSki

Old n' Crusty
Jun 19, 2012
Melb
Sure, until someone says "my significant other is divorcing me because you displayed my face on the cam" or "I got got fired as I told my boss I was sick" and "now I'm suing you" ;) , or more seriously "my stalker found out where I was because you could see my face on the cam"

If the cams were further back and just showed the lift base and queue in general it should be ok.

Maybe if it was published in the media but the cam images only last about 10 minutes to the public view online.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne

You have no reasonable expectation to privacy while in a public area. For a stalker to find someone by seeing them on a ski web cam, they would have to suspect that the person is there already - which kind of defeats the intent, as it provides confirmation - and that's about it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass