1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Let’s go to Japan Tomorrow....

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Gumbo, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Gumbo

Gumbo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

We had plans as a family to go to Japan this year.Then my wife got pregnant and my young fella broke his arm. So we dumped the plan to head over. I still had 3 weeks holidays (27/1 till the 16/2) and my daughter is 21 on the 19/3 so we started throwing the idea about of flying over for two weeks. It was an idea that sounded great but sort of went nowhere.

Then last Thursday I was scanning flights and some cheap flights with Fiji airways popped up. Called my daughter out of her room and asked “wanna go to Japan” her reply “Yeah when”... “How’s bout tomorrow”

So at 6pm Thursday we booked our flights organised a couple of days accommodation and travel insurance. Packed our bags and hit the sack ready for our 615am flight.

Up at 3am for a drive up from Wollongong. No issues with checkin and our first leg Syd to Nadi. Typical Fiji flight was loaded to capacity. Was able to sleep for most of the flight with us landing in Nadi at 1115 for our 2hr stopover. Bags checked through so it was a matter of jumping off and grabbing a feed...

Second leg was on a old Airbus 2-4-2 config. Gate opened at 155 for a 215 departure. Thinking it would leave late due to the gate opening late. When we got on the plane we realised there was lucky to be 20-30 passengers joining us for this leg. Again the flight was typical Fiji airways.... food was meah and entertainment was same (thank god for downloading Netflix,Stan,amazon and google play on the IPad and watching it offline...

Landed at 730 in Narita thinking it should be fairly quick through customs.... Not a chance. By the time we cleared customs it was after 10. Customs was a mess. The backlog from the plane going off the runway earlier had caused a line like I’ve never seen. And by the time we got to the counter the line had continued to grow starting outside the customs area and into the area outside of customs.

Straight to the N’EX counter to buy a ticket. Straight to Ueno and then back on a train one stop from Ueno to Uguisudani we had 2 nights booked at Candeo hotel. Rooms was a twin, typical Japanese. Small clean simple. Checkin was very efficient. Quick run down to the Family Mart a couple 100mtrs away for a couple of Grapefruit Chu-Hi and then shower and straight to bed.

Daughter getting a mandatory pic infront of the plane at Nadi...

After the pain of going through customs a couple of these went down way to easy.

sara777, skifree, Snowy Joey and 5 others like this.
  2. Gumbo

Woke on the Saturday with plans to do a couple of days of the touristy stuff. We have bypassed Tokyo and always headed north so I said to my daughter we will do whatever she is interested in. My only request was a trip to the Kanda ski shop area.

Breakfast at the hotel was buffet with a mix of Asian and western foods. Fairly good selection.

We headed straight to Kanda but got there a little to early for all the shops to be open. Had a quick look through each shop making a short list of what we are interested in with the plan to go back before heading to the ski fields.

We jumped the train back to Ueno and had a walk through the park. We made the decision to have a look in Ueno Zoo. Was a good time filler, would most definitely be something to do with younger kids. When we walked out of the zoo there was a Festival going on in the park. So we watched some performances and had some karaage chicken and a beer each.

Back to the hotel for a shower and then back on the train to head to Harajuku first. Harajuku is a great place to wonder back and forth. My daughter loved jumping in and out of the stores buying some presents for friends and family. She especially liked the Calbee plus store buying the chips with chocolate and gold sprinkles...

From Harajuku the next stop was the Shibuya crossing. The place is a mad house. It looks impressive on the movies but in real life it’s truely something else. And all the streets running off it are great to find a feed. We spent a few hours wondering the streets but in reality you could spend so much longer wondering up and down and into the shopping centres. We found a small place to eat and Ramen and Goyza was on the menu for tonight. I was on beer and my daughter was on the whisky highball.

Again on the train and back to the hotel room for a couple more drinks and off to bed.

Because of the weather we decided to spend 3 extra days in Tokyo and then head to the fields. We booked one more night in the hotel we were in then a move was on the cards for another hotel in the heart of Ueno.

Sacred Ibis.... Bin chickens made me chuckle....

I wish our festivals had food and beer as good as Japan.

Harajuku at about 10pm

Looking back at the Shibuya intersection.

Kimski, nfip, Tanuki and 6 others like this.
  3. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe I should set up a shrine in our backyard, where a number of bin chickens have decided to call home recently, thereby driving our dogs absolutely nuts. They sit on the fence and really drive our dogs crazy.

But how good is a last minute getaway decision? So, you're there for two weeks?

LMB likes this.
  4. Gumbo

Yeah we end up with 9.5 days skiing even with the extra time in Tokyo. It’s 15 days all up as I fly out 21.45 on our last day. It’s a marathon of a flight home as we have 9.5 hrs in Nadi (Lucky our favourite restaurant is there)... I just checked my roster and I’m off for 2 days when I get back (I was stressed it was back to work the next day)

LMB likes this.
  5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

This is MOST AWESOME!
    “Wanna go to Japan...tomorrow”

Love your work.

I also love the time you are getting with your adult daughter. 9 days and I’ll be doing the same with my youngest adult son. We are so very lucky. Not a lot of young adults want to holiday with thier olds. Enjoy it!

sara777, elSpike, Melskius and 2 others like this.
  6. Gumbo

I feel so blessed that my two grown kids want to spend time with me. My son was real sulky that he didn’t get to come. He is 21 at the end of next year so I told him we will do a ski trip in 2021 as next year is back to a family trip. He is so pumped for it he has already started telling me what we are doing and where we are going.

You can split kids down the middle. There are the ones that say to my kids “what you want to go on a holiday with your dad” and the others are “I wish my dad would travel with me” I’m so lucky to have the latter. Plus they have the same twisted sense of humour as me.

SuskiQ, elSpike, Tanuki and 2 others like this.
  7. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us

leaving for furano with my 21 year old daughter 21 Feb. I had no trouble talking her into coming

LMB likes this.
  8. LMB

So good.
    Mine is a 19 y o male, who has been living out of home for best part of a year.

9. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Yep. Agree. I have "japowed" with my (now 24 y.o) daughter a few times. The last couple of times (in 2016 and 2017) we road tripped through Hokkaido. It was the best time with her.
    In contrast, I asked my (then 15 y.o) son last year if he wanted to do the same for this past January. He just grunted something about missing his mates. Hmmm....I might wait a couple more years before I lay the offer on the table again. If I'm going to share a car with someone for a couple of weeks, I'd like to be able to have a flowing 2-way convo. :rolleyes:

10. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Awesome, I've only been with my young daughter at the ages of 2 & 4. I look forward to visiting again when she's older and more autonomous. @Gumbo if you're still in Tokyo, within walking distance from your hotel is the 'cat street' in Yanaka, it's well worth a visit from some local flavour. One stop on the train then a 5 min walk or walk through Ueno Park and Yanaka Cemetery Park.

11. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

Wasn't me.

12. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

This reminds me of the days when about lunchtime a convo would start about going to Perisher. Twelve hours later we would be on the road.

coolair likes this.
  13. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Of course it wasn't.

14. LMB

Holy shit!
    I’ve only just clicked.
    21yo daughter, 19yo son and your wife is up the duff! Big gap, you’re starting all over again - brave man! Enjoy this trip away. Nappies and sleepless nights await.

Kimski, CarveMan, Gumbo and 4 others like this.
  15. Gumbo

Sunday we decided we would walk up to Sensõ-ji temple only a couple of kms from our hotel. On Sunday by pure luck there was a celebration on the Sesubun festival was on celebrating the change of season. Such an amazing place even in the crowds you could find a peaceful place.

After that a feed of kimchi pork, gyoza and karagee chicken was shared by us in the restaurant on the corner from our hotel.

Was pretty stuffed so we had an arvo nap waking up to take a walk around the neighbourhood. Noticing the sheer volume of love hotels... (edit I’ve already lost track of meals). We ended up training it to Ueno and fount a little joint open till midnight. It was a night of Kushiyaki. 3 beers for me later and 3 highballs for my daughter we made the short trip home to a movie and a few Strong Zero’s

16. Gumbo

Monday was a moving day. Up early for breakfast then ready to checkout. We booked two nights in Ueno in the Centurion. It’s real close to Euno station and in a little more lively part of town. Rooms are a little older but bigger (still not big but we are no longer climbing over the top of our bags) they took our bags for the morning and we decided to spend the day walking round Ueno. The streets are great to trawl through. And it’s one of them places that it doesn’t matter how many times you walk up and down the streets, it’s one of them places that if you walk the same street again you find something different or new.

Dinner was Okinominyaki. It’s my daughters favourite. We ended up at Monjyaya. Little place hidden away upstairs. Great food and reasonable price.

Tanuki, SuskiQ and LMB like this.
  17. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Great to bump into you two totally randomly! I hope the rest of the trip was great, our second week worked out really well.

Tanuki likes this.