Advice needed Level 1 Instructor Perisher

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Neason, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Neason

Neason Active Member

So I've passed the video interview stage and have made it to reference checking which I'm low-key surprised at, this brings up the question of whether I should pursue this position. So basically what I would like to know is:
    • Is the wage for a level one instructor liveable?
    • What is the process of training and employment?
    • When does work usually start on the mountain?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

You are surprised you made it so far, or are you surprised that they want to check references?

3. Bato

Bato Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Id be getting a second job if i was you, unless you love 2 minute noodles.

Neason and nfip like this.
  4. Neason

Neason Active Member

Surprised because my camera setup was shoddy haha

5. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Level 1's will get around $20 per hour. They will only be paid for actual teaching hours and compulsory training. You will be required to line up for every rostered day/shift and unless you get a class, you won't get paid. As a level 1 you will get the beginners, the school groups and will be last in line for classes. Best money I found was the all day kids lessons, you'll get 6
    hrs pay, free food (questionable) and you'll get to take the kids in for hot choc/toilet breaks. It's a lot less rushed.

Do it for the fun, take up all the free training that's offered but have a backup.

Kletterer and Neason like this.
  6. Neason

Neason Active Member

What would you recommend as a backup? And also how many hour per week did you usually get as a level 1?

7. Egbert

Egbert Dedicated Member

Mondays was butter chicken day. The kids loved the butter chicken.

8. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I was only fill in for school holidays, a lot of instructors work nights in bars or restaurants.

9. Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Just get the oldies to pay for your accom / car etc then you don't need the second job :)

How do you get level one, and not follow up with L2 straight away? Just asking cause I thought most people did both sequentially. Def not judging !!

Neason likes this.
  10. Neason

Neason Active Member

I'm not too sure exactly how it works to be honest but its definitely not off the tables, I'll for sure do my L2 if I have the chance. This is my first year working on/near the mountain though so it's all a bit confusing tbh, just trying to gain as much info as i can before I actually accept a job position and head off

11. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Save as much as you can before you go and be prepared to live a very frugal, very "shared" life. Big costs are rent, food, equipment, transport and certification exams and training.
    You will struggle to make a "living wage" just on ski school income.

Ask yourself if you intend to do a few seasons including overseas or is this season is just a one off to semi fund a skiing holiday. The outcome of that question will assist in your decision making.

The ability to have a great time and learn a lot whilst not sweating about being cash strapped will be a big plus and getting on with others and group entertaining at home will make the season a hoot. Wine and shared food is cheap.

Usually a first season is funded by family, savings or a night job.

12. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

So you're doing the hiring clinic? Or do you have L1 already? I started L2 training while I was there but because I was only part time and had another job I couldn't justify the time off paid work to complete it. The training is fantastic, the year I did L1 was the best I'd ever skied. Been a bit downhill since. (haha see what I did there?)

Normo and Ted Harper like this.
  13. Nidecker

Season Pass Gold

My daughter turns 15 next year, and can do her level 1 over in Canada at that age, thinking of facilitating that. She races a bit and has had approx 70/80 days on the snow each year for the last 3 years most of them with coaches, so is OK at skiing, and just really wants to be a teacher / coach. We are thinking it might be a fun birthday somewhere like whistler.

Good luck this year, there are a million different ways to make it work, and one of them will work for you. Don't be shy about asking for help, its a great community!

14. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Canadian Level 1 is not the same as Australian Level 1. That's not to say it's not worth doing - it did wonders for my daughter's skiing - but it is really an introductory level Canadian 2 is equivalent to Australian 1.

15. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Australia now also has a 4 level certification system. The APSI isn't wildly different to the CSIA level 1, and the two systems level 2's are pretty similar.

APSI and CSIA L1 is the equivalent of certifying you for passing the hiring clinic.

#15 Annabuzzy, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  16. Arsas

Arsas Active Member

Kind of off topic, but do the instructors sign anything that says they cant instruct privately if they don't get shifts?
    After reading this thread it seems the instructors are getting very little of the $300+ for 2-3 hour lesson.
    I have always wanted to offer the private instructor that we get for the kids cash to turn up the next day. Even I if I pay them half of what perisher charges me they would be making goog money and I would save a fortune.

17. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

They would be fired pretty quickly. An absolute no go as far as the resort goes.

Would also find it extremely hard to ever get a job in Australia again. It's a very small industry.

LMB likes this.
  18. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

If you are detected giving any paid lesson on the mountain, whether or not you are employed as an instructor, you will be thrown off the mountain.

19. Arsas

Arsas Active Member

I assumed as much. Are there any Private instructors that are allowed to work on the Mountain?

20. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

They are around for sure, but they generally don't advertise that much. ;)

21. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

Allowed? No.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  22. Nidecker

Season Pass Gold

I totally understand the resorts point of view here, and have never really seen this in AUS but I'm sure I saw evidence of non company instructors in the US. Even the race clubs didn't seem to have company (uniformed) staff as is the case in AUS. They must work a different model over there.

23. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

Yep. Australia is different. Closed shop.

24. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I know at Deer Valley where I worked that they were all over anyone they thought was teaching 'black'. Other ski schools fine, a cash operator in casual clothing. No chance.

Europe is much more open.

25. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

To be honest I just think it's resort greed. They collect all the income from ski lessons, whereas if they allowed private instruction there would be leakage.

Personally I'd love to see private operators giving lessons on mountain, just as in Europe or Japan.

26. Neason

Neason Active Member

Not sure if Perisher has changed their employment process for first time instructors but I got an email yesterday with an offer of employment for this season (as a snowsports trainee), a bit confusing if it is but it all seems legit. Thanks for the help everyone

27. Nidecker

Season Pass Gold

Good luck. Turn up on time, be easy going and helpful. you'll be fine!

Neason likes this.