Liberal/Nationals Sign Memorandum of Understanding with Bush Users Groups

Mangoes

First Runs
May 9, 2002
4 hours from Thredbo
Liberal/Nationals Sign Memorandum of Understanding with Bush Users Groups

Madew welcomes Memorandum of Understanding with Bush User Groups

21 Nov 2006

The National candidate for Monaro, David Madew said today Snowy Mountains bush users were instrumental in the historic signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between the Liberal/Nationals Coalition and key bush users groups.

NSW Liberal Leader, Peter Debnam, and the NSW Leader of The Nationals, Andrew Stoner, today signed the memorandum outside Parliament House undertaking that horse riders will assist the Liberal/Nationals in developing policies that ensure horse riders have fair access to National Park areas.

“The Liberal/Nationals have worked closely over the years with groups including the Snowy Mountains Bush Users Group, The Australian Horse Alliance and the Snowy Mountains Horse Riding Association,†Mr Debnam said.

“Under the MOU, a Liberal/Nationals Government will remove the blanket prohibition against riding in Wilderness and Nature Reserves within three months of gaining office.

“Within six months, the Liberal/Nationals will review Plans of Management for reserve areas where horse riding had been permitted prior to the classification of those areas as Wilderness or Nature Reserves or the Adoption of a Plan of Management.

“For 12 years, the Carr-Iemma Labor Government has reduced areas of National Parks and Reserve Lands accessible to horse riders and other bush users.

In welcoming the Memorandum Mr Madew said that the users of the bush would be heard.

“Bush users have an important part to play in the sustainable management of park areas through the maintenance of fire trails and working co-operately with park staff to improve the stewardship of these areas.â€

“Under our policy, areas where it is scientifically shown that horse riding and other activities would harm the environment would remain closed to such activities†Mr Madew said.

Mr Stoner said Iemma-Costa Labor Government was locking bush users out of their own areas to boost its credentials with the extreme greens in an attempt to net votes.

“Labor’s pandering to the Greens in order to stitch up preferences at the next State election has come at the expense of horse riders. Labor’s “lock out†has never been about science,†Mr Stoner said.

“In Australia and particularly in NSW, horse riding has been a part of our history and culture, from the Light Horse Brigade riding “Walers†in World War II to the Man from Snowy River. The Liberal/Nationals don’t want to see this important tradition lost.

“Labor also fails to appreciate the importance of these activities to tourism and local economies†Mr Stoner said.

“The MOU will also recognise the cultural significance of the brumbies and ensure their proper management and protection within Kosciuszko National Park and Guy Fawkes River National Park†said Mr Madew.

“After 12 years of Labor, bush users should not be treated like the enemy. The people of NW deserve higher standards and better services.â€

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
Re: Liberal/Nationals Sign Memorandum of Understanding with Bush Users Groups

When did "bush users" come to exclusively mean "horse riders"?

I use the bush. Can't recall any politician checking what I thought.

I'm not totally opposed to having horses there, but that press release contains so much attempted political point scoring and horsesh|t, it makes me sick.

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts

what freakin' cultural significance do brumbies have in Guy Fawkes FFS.

Other than that horse access could be managed in some areas... as could some 4wd. (they currently are in many NPs -except the resources arten't there to properly manage it) 4WD inevitably will be next. The only hassle with the 4wd is keeping the vandal element to the existing network of tracks.

If we have to carry our waste out i think it only fair the horse riders have to clean up after their steeds!

Gotta love this though..

“Under our policy, areas where it is scientifically shown that horse riding and other activities would harm the environment would remain closed to such activities."

as it is precisely the reason in existing POMs that restrict such access.
My political cynicism suggests nothing much will change... it's purely window dressing.

legend

One of Us
Aug 22, 2004
lakes entrance

By all means keep them in the Long Plain area (designated horse riding area) of Kosci. Melbourne Cup w/e came across horse hooves along the Rounfd Mountain firetrail, also found them almost on the summit of Jagaungal. When walking you notice the degradation horses cause to the fragile alpine environment. I love the Kosci NP because I can walk across the natural plains without coming across 20 horses riders at a time. Such areas bring in large numbers of people as there are few areas where you can walk without vehicles and other menaces. Nothing like putting up a tent near a yard with the smell of dung and the buzz of flies. In Victoria, there are very few places where such opportunities exist.

Mangoes

First Runs
May 9, 2002
4 hours from Thredbo

I think Legend has a good point about designated areas. I enjoy the bush for the solitude and being away from the noise our modern society creates.

However Park usage has to be equitable for all. There will always be opposing interested, be it horse riders, cyclists, 4wd, hikers etc so perhaps areas for each could be a good compromise.

Is it possible to have a foot in each camp? I enjoy hiking, but also mtb, own 2 horses and my parents enjoy their 4wd club outings.

One of the biggest problems with horses in fragile areas is that the Trail Riding Association, whilst not making it compulsory, highly recommend that horses be shod and horses wearing metal shoes certainly damage the ground more than those running barefoot.

legend

One of Us
Aug 22, 2004
lakes entrance

Primary and most important use of a national park is the conservation of the environment. People (and their activities) are of secondary importance. For that reason, permits into many of our parks are now coming quite common place (Wilsons Prom, Overland Tk, Hinchenbrook Is, Nadgee Widerness, Croajingalong, etc). These are designed to let people enjoy the experience, but also to lessen the human impact on the country.

Graeme

First Runs
Endless Winter
Sep 25, 2003
Eden

Some National Parks areas may be OK. Wilderness areas no way!

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts

designated areas and carry waste out for mine.
Access fee to cover weed, erosion and sediment control will also need to be considered. MTB and foot are much lower cost to manage impacts, by comparison.

still think it's vote buying at it's dodgiest. If they were serious about access they'd stock 'gamba with bass..
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

The label "extreme anti-conservation" come to mind with the MOU. Proof that polies will never let science spoil a good story or a vote!

... On a similar note, these "bush-lovers" are already using the Victorian Alpine fires as proof of the failed "lock up the bush" policy. This message resonates despite the huge network of trails of carved into the Vic Alps since 1939'.

Unfortunately in many once-popular walking areas like Mt Cobbler/Bluff Hut/Mt Lovick/Mt Wellington - its impossible to avoid large 4wd groups and trail-bikes, despite the fact Parks are for walkers, bikes and nature-lovers too, not just 4WD owners.

I'd like to see more 4WD tracks the Vic Alps become "MVOs", walking is much more pleasant and rangers/CFA/SES can access as required - not a bad compromise and not a "lock-up" scenario as the "right" accuses. :thumbs:

Craig D.

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2005
Country Victoria

snowgum said:
I'd like to see more 4WD tracks the Vic Alps become "MVOs", walking is much more pleasant and rangers/CFA/SES can access as required - not a bad compromise and not a "lock-up" scenario as the "right" accuses. :thumbs:
Ah, but as the ALP has been returned to power in Vic the whole concept of MVO tracks has been changed. Their 'Hunting and 4 wheel driving opportunities in Victoria' policy they took to the last election has the following item in it:

8. Labor will give Four Wheel Drive Victoria volunteers special access to management vehicle tracks.
Each year countless 4WD volunteers help maintain our great network of tracks.
In recognition of this work, volunteers will be provided with sets of keys to access MVO (management vehicle only) tracks.
Not only will this be a way of recognising the great work volunteers do, it will encourage more people to get involved in volunteering and open up new areas of Victoria to enthusiasts.
Full details are here: http://www.vic.alp.org.au/alp/pdf/policies/Hunting_4WD.pdf

I think this policy is stupid. Within 6 months of keys being released there will be 4WDs just about everywhere in the Alpine National Park. Keep the status quo in Victoria, and investigate turning more tracks in inappropriate places into MVOs.

Re the horse riders and open access - my impression of the horse riding community is that they always camp beside their 4WDs and horse floats, so I'm not sure that allowing them in wilderness areas (e.g. Jagungal) would make much of a difference - their little day trips wouldn't allow them to 'infiltrate' the wilderness significantly. However I still agree with Graeme's post - keep them out of wilderness areas! They have the northern end of the park to play around on, and you can see the damage their hooves do everytime a vehicle track crosses a creek. In the more sensitive higher elevation ares the damage they would cause would be terrible.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Well given the horses and vehicles have already stuffed the parks with weeds and disease and rubbish just let free access rein. It's not as if hunters stop and the boundaries already.

Do not try and save a stuffed space, strip it, mine it and farm it. At least then it useful. And think of the jobs and money...

wink.gif

Craig D.

Hard Yards
Jul 21, 2005
Country Victoria

If the parks were mined then the piles of mullock left over could be shaped to create new high altitude mountain ranges. With the aid of VSG's crayons they could be turned into new ski resorts :thumbs:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass