Question Lift Open On Demand

J_busworth

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 17, 2017
Coogee, NSW
transportnswblog.com
When checking the Perisher lift status, there always seems to be a number of lifts listed as "On Demand", even more so now that the season is winding down. Does anyone here know what level of demand is required for that lift to open, or is it a ploy to list all lifts as open but actually have some closed?

Reactions: asammut_au

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
When checking the Perisher lift status, there always seems to be a number of lifts listed as "On Demand", even more so now that the season is winding down. Does anyone here know what level of demand is required for that lift to open, or is it a ploy to list all lifts as open but actually have some closed?
The latter AFAIK.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
Well if more people are there then they will run them.

I can see why they would on demand lifts if there was only one person using it.

Just not viable.

alexd

One of Us
May 22, 2017
Sydney
I love this. I wonder how often they get people misinterpreting what it means and "demanding" to have a lift run for them :whistle:

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Well if more people are there then they will run them.

I can see why they would on demand lifts if there was only one person using it.

Just not viable.
There have been mornings where the queue for the V8 is out the gate and they still don't open Mitchell T.

skull

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2017
What does "viable" mean ?
Cost effective

Unless there is enough paying customers (they'd surely have a % that they work with) then the cost of running the extra lifts would not help with their big profits.

I am going to assume us epic poss holders are not considered paying customers anymore.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Cost effective

Unless there is enough paying customers (they'd surely have a % that they work with) then the cost of running the extra lifts would not help with their big profits.

I am going to assume us epic poss holders are not considered paying customers anymore.

A fair summary.

Like Disneyworld shutting down rides based on gate sales :confused: ....

Fair enough shut lifts that service the same terrain but not whole unique areas for corporate kpi reasons.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Service delivery ( in all it's many & varied forms) continues to be a struggle.

We thought Vail might be some fresh air in this department, but so far appears to be a a very thin & intermittent breeze.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
So I won't need to take my climbing skins to ski G & the Cow this weekend?

Cool.

Piste Again

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 27, 2000
Rozelle, NSW
Fair enough shut lifts that service the same terrain but not whole unique areas for corporate kpi reasons.

A couple of years back I took my son to Perisher for the first few days of the school holidays. When I booked a couple of (2 or 3) days before the trip, pretty much everything was open. We got there to find plenty of snow at Guthega and Blue Cow, but they were shut. All that was running was front valley, pretty valley (which was in pretty pathetic shape) and Mt Perisher (which at the time was too advanced for my son's skiing).

When I posted a winge about it on here, people said "Oh everyone knows they do that". I didn't, but I do now. Needless to say, my cynicism about Perisher is boundless.

September school holiday trips for us are to Thredbo now. Bugger Perisher.

asammut_au

Hard Yards
Apr 2, 2008
I think we received our answer for what constitutes enough demand to open a lift yesterday. After 10 minute queues at the freedom chair starting from 9.30am, while the blue cow T-bar was "on demand", perisher finally opened the T-bar around 10.30am-11am. bit of a joke that it took so long with so many people over there on a blue bird day but at least they did open the T-bar. Ironically both lifts were still open at 3pm with no queue on either and barely anyone around.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
I think we received our answer for what constitutes enough demand to open a lift yesterday. After 10 minute queues at the freedom chair starting from 9.30am, while the blue cow T-bar was "on demand", perisher finally opened the T-bar around 10.30am-11am. bit of a joke that it took so long with so many people over there on a blue bird day but at least they did open the T-bar. Ironically both lifts were still open at 3pm with no queue on either and barely anyone around.

I was at Guthega from first carpark chair at 9:00am. Things where absolutely perfect for about 45mins and then .... oh my god .... down came the flash mob from BC and created "insta crowd" in about 20mins. The Freedom queue grew so we skied the carpark double from the top of BC, came back up, did Blue Calf and back to the Freedom and hilariously the flash mob was now getting off at the top and heading back to BC because .... it was too crowded. o_O

The T bar ran with very few patrons and well done PB for getting it going. :thumbs:

Stralya, such a funny little island

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I was at Guthega from first carpark chair at 9:00am. Things where absolutely perfect for about 45mins and then .... oh my god .... down came the flash mob from BC and created "insta crowd" in about 20mins. The Freedom queue grew so we skied the carpark double from the top of BC, came back up, did Blue Calf and back to the Freedom and hilariously the flash mob was now getting off at the top and heading back to BC because .... it was too crowded. o_O

The T bar ran with very few patrons and well done PB for getting it going. :thumbs:

Organic skiing flashmobs communicate by high tech smart phones and FB pages.
They also have herd like mentality.
People go to Guthega not to ski, but to go there.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains

It was hilarious. Insta mob down the trail from BC, like rope drop at Boxing Day sales. The PSR mob where chasing rainbows; there are some meatheads in that lot ... meat pies n holden cars :eek:

Reactions: nfip

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country

It's like seeing a chinese downhill some mornings from BC to the quad.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
It was hilarious. Insta mob down the trail from BC, like rope drop at Boxing Day sales. The PSR mob where chasing rainbows; there are some meatheads in that lot ... meat pies n holden cars :eek:

Not wrong

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
Tha Pub.
So good.
Se them knocking beers down at 10 or 10.30 ......thinking how the fk they going to be on the hill in an hour or two getting out of there.

sara777

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney
Some pics from PSR on FB are.. funny :eek:

Reactions: Donza

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
I get why lifts are closed to reach some corporate kpi (still dont like it of course) but perisher, please dont report they are open. I was daddy daycare at blue cow yesterday for my 2yo daughter, and would have loved to have skiied with her on pony express carpet. 47/47 reported as open, with pony express on demand. I walked down for a look and the thing was half buried in snow. Perisher clearly had no intent of ever opening this lift. Reporting 47/47 is very misleading and very frustrating. Same happened with olympic the other day too. After 40yrs at perisher it feels like a second home and dont want to go elsewhere, but am seriously starting to consider Turdbo.

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
20170917_084048.jpg

asammut_au

Hard Yards
Apr 2, 2008
I get why lifts are closed to reach some corporate kpi (still dont like it of course) but perisher, please dont report they are open. I was daddy daycare at blue cow yesterday for my 2yo daughter, and would have loved to have skiied with her on pony express carpet. 47/47 reported as open, with pony express on demand. I walked down for a look and the thing was half buried in snow. Perisher clearly had no intent of ever opening this lift. Reporting 47/47 is very misleading and very frustrating. Same happened with olympic the other day too. After 40yrs at perisher it feels like a second home and dont want to go elsewhere, but am seriously starting to consider Turdbo.

I don't know if it's true, but I asked a lifty at Guthega yesterday why the blue cow T-bar wasnt running and she told me there were not enough staff rostered on yesterday. If the staff aren't even rostered on then how can the lift run on demand? unless they choose to close another lift maybe? All seems like marketing bs to me unfortunately. I love perisher but hate being lied to when I'm trying to decide where I want to ski in the morning and there are 47 lifts claimed to open. Little do I know that perisher have no intention to open some of them.

Reactions: fmdc9

asammut_au

Hard Yards
Apr 2, 2008
I don't know if it's true, but I asked a lifty at Guthega yesterday why the blue cow T-bar wasnt running and she told me there were not enough staff rostered on yesterday. If the staff aren't even rostered on then how can the lift run on demand? unless they choose to close another lift maybe? All seems like marketing bs to me unfortunately. I love perisher but hate being lied to when I'm trying to decide where I want to ski in the morning and there are 47 lifts claimed to open. Little do I know that perisher have no intention to open some of them.

Still very glad it did at least open as it made a instant difference to the size of the queue on the freedom chair

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Staff were still drunk from the party in Kirwan the night before.......

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
A couple of years back I took my son to Perisher for the first few days of the school holidays. When I booked a couple of (2 or 3) days before the trip, pretty much everything was open. We got there to find plenty of snow at Guthega and Blue Cow, but they were shut. All that was running was front valley, pretty valley (which was in pretty pathetic shape) and Mt Perisher (which at the time was too advanced for my son's skiing).

September school holiday trips for us are to Thredbo now. Bugger Perisher.

A couple of years back I had a few great late September visits to Thredbo with daughter in tow. At the time Thredbo seemed to put much greater effort into keeping as much as possible going at that end of the season.

In a good year you got better value there than Perisher in wind down mode.

Will be interesting to see if Perisher makes use of the big base at Blue Cow and Guthega to keep them spinning this year right through the Qld school holidays. I hope they do.

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
BWAHAHAHAHA our evil plan is coming together!! Come to the dark side!!

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

buckwheat

One of Us
Jun 6, 2000
Sydney, NSW Australia
I noticed you'd made the switch cm! Plus some mates skiied LB the other day and that got me thinking about the other advantages. Plus summer biking. Getting harder and harder to stay at Perisher.....

Ultra

One of Us
Jun 2, 2009
NSW
After 40yrs at perisher it feels like a second home and dont want to go elsewhere, but am seriously starting to consider Turdbo.
i am thinking the same, went to Buller for the first time this year, and this year is the first i have not bought a epic/season pass for Perisher in 20 years.

Reactions: Drewboy

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
Time for a NEW pass ....

The whole and/or thing between PB and Thredbo is regressive for regional marketing in an expanding customer base.

Just NSW and not all the overseas fluff.

Reactions: skifree

Ultra

One of Us
Jun 2, 2009
NSW
Time for a NEW pass ....

The whole and/or thing between PB and Thredbo is regressive for regional marketing in an expanding customer base.

Just NSW and not all the overseas fluff.
i have been thinking this for ages, need a combined parks pass, ski both thredbo/perisher. like they do up on the gold coast with their fun parks.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass