Lift opening times. So late?!

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Kash, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Just had a fun weekend at Perisher, but haven't been in a few years and had a few observations. Why do lifts only open at 8.30 (most at 9) still? With the thousands of people trying to get on the lifts at open time wouldn't starting at 7-7.30 like they do at busy periods overseas make sense? I know they have the first tracks at Blue Cow on weekends but that's a bit of a rort. When spending $150+ per day I think opening some more terrain early would offer a great guest service - like Hotham do by opening Heavenly at 7.30am when its busy.

The parking for those not at the mountain by 9 (parking 10-15 mins drive from the resort, wtf?) is clearly a nightmare but I don't imagine there is much that the resort can do to address that. Its a function of the epic pass/aldi effect. Skiing is now accessible to everyone.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

There is a bit involved in getting the lifts and hill set up for a day. It's not just rocking up to the bottom of a lift and flicking a switch.

I'm curious about where lifts start at 7-00 or 7-30.

Born2ski, Poppies and SnowRabbit like this.
  3. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hakuba.Happo one. 7/7.30am
    It's still dark lol.

JoeKing likes this.
  4. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Interesting. Is it an access lift or can you ride it for skiing? I'm thinking the Telluride gondola also opens early.

5. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Yeah I'm not saying all lifts, but certainly opening some early would be a nice. I loved riding Happo-One when it opened at 7am (it was light from what I remember) and as I mentioned Hotham does it too. I remember a few of the Austrian resorts I rode offered it too. I don't think all resorts could afford it, but for a place as busy and rich as Perisher/Vail it would be nice on weekends during peak at least.

6. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Ski Pass - Gold

1) Grooming needs to be clear of runs.
    2) Mountain Ops need to distribute around resort and 40+ lifts.
    3) They need to get the 40+ lifts operational before allowing the public to use.
    4) Ski Patrol need to distribute around resort.
    5) All marked hazards need to be checked by ski patrol, that fences and markings are still in place.
    6) You have to pay staff for additional hours. This increases lift ticket prices.
    7) All this work needs to be done by staff in daylight, prior to opening. Doing it in the dark increases risk of workplace accidents.

And from September lifts open at 8am. As it is light earlier.

Lift opening is fine. The only thing I would change is Centre Valley always opening with the V8.

And BTW. Many US and Canada resorts open at the same time, but close at 3-3:30pm. Whilst Perisher is open till 5pm.

Jacko4650, Poppies, SMSkier and 4 others like this.
  7. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

The Telluride gondola opens early but only as a means of transport. If you want to get off at the mid station to ski, have to wait at the village base until 9:00am before loading. People who just want to go over the top to Mountain Village were walking on at 8:45 when I had joined the group waiting for the gondola. The lift line for the chairlift from the same place was probably a 10-15 min wait already for those at the end. Was warmer to wait inside the gondola building.

During late season (late April, May) the lifts at Mammoth, Squaw, Bachelor, Timberline, and Mt. Hood Meadows open before 9:00. Can be as early as 7:30am. But lifts close by 3:30 or even as early as 1:30 since most people have left by noon because when temps have reached into the 50s on the lower mountain.

8. LDJ

LDJ Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

This caught me out a number of times in Canada this year after having late lunch and a couple of beers then realising there was only an hour left of ski time

JoeKing and Astro66 like this.
  9. Beerman

Beerman One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

I'd suggest that's called a long lunch.............;)
    used to happen a lot in the 80's before a certain tax rule change

LDJ and SnowRabbit like this.
  10. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Skiing
    ADAM Gondola [​IMG] 平日(W/day)08:00・土日祝(W/end)07:30 16:20(上り最終15:30・下り最終16:30

Its a 800 m vert run

11. skull

skull One of Us

I would say that would be one of the main drivers, SP need to go through and attend to any hazards, markings, checking runs prior to us punters getting out. They can't do that too well in the dark.

Chaeron and Astro66 like this.
  12. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

There's two chairs that fire up then, the higher one is a quad, and it's so you can ride them for skiing to watch the sun come up.

13. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

The centre valley lifts need to open when the quad opens.

dawooduck and chicski like this.
  14. crackson

crackson A Local
    Ski Pass - Gold

Snowgums runs from 5am.

Mils likes this.
  15. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Walking on a dream
    Ski Pass - Gold

Buller opens a few lifts early during interschools week, and for a few other occasions. I dropped into a bluebird powder run on of those days last year, just as they opened the other lifts.

Main issues are Patrol not clearing the resort for opening quick enough (which wouldn't be an easy job with such a large area) on certain days. Other concern is money. If they ever did, it would probably be the V8. One lift like Hotham. Probably not what you had in mind.

16. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Quad had people on it this morning while we waited at leichhardt. We decided it was so patrol could get another lap through Powder Ridge ;)

SMSkier, Chaeron and Ozgirl like this.
  17. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

Early bird is 8.00am at Grand Hirafu (Annupuri also I think), but lifts keep turning until 8.30pm.

Early starts on limited terrain could be a good way to spread the people out a bit better over the day.

18. base615

base615 Early Days

I think it's fine but it'd be nice to open the Quad at 8:30 along with the V8 and Mt P triple at 8:40. It's a bit annoying to have to wait until 9 to get away from Front Valley / Escapade.

Joe, Ret-ro and dawooduck like this.
  19. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

So what about the lodges that are running folk up the runs prior to lift opening st Perisher?

Or was this just fake news?

20. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable
    Ski Pass - Gold

This

21. Pink

Pink Hard Yards

Nothing to see at Hotham. 7:30 start is fake news. Stay in bed.

Ret-ro, Kash and MarkV like this.
  22. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sometimes I ponder .... do they make you fit chains to enable you too get to the lifts on time ?

MarkV likes this.
  23. MarkV

MarkV Addicted
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yep. Imagine how many runs you could have with bugger all other people in HV. What a shame it's fake news. ;)

Slalom, Kash and Pink like this.
  24. GlenH

GlenH Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Silver

In NZ everything pretty much closes at 4pm.

One year I skiied Mt Ruapehu late October during daylight saving. You feel like you are going home at high noon.

25. Ret-ro

Ret-ro Hard Yards

Actually you sure re Japan. Some say 9 to 3pm can be standard with weather around?

9 hours of skiing and 11.5 on Tuesday and Saturday

Do you want 24 hr skiing?

26. Ret-ro

Ret-ro Hard Yards

I think Buller has to …. open early.

27. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah 100%

Ret-ro likes this.
  28. Pisteoff

Pisteoff Hard Yards

Heavenly valley is often quite busy by 8am. Multiple runs groomed - no problem. The lift operators ski down to the bottom of the lift in almost darkness just before 7am. Where there is a will ....

29. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Exactly. I think its a cop out to say they couldn't get the resort ready, too much to do with groomers etc. To open one small area like Hotham or Hakuba do when the grooming has already finished and they have the staff around etc it wouldn't be too much of a big deal I'd have thought. I mean the sun has been up for 1.5-2 hours by 8.30am! So much wasted daylight for those that weren't out on the cans all night.

Anyway, its what I'd do if I ran Perisher and actually gave a $%^& about giving punters that have forked out +150 per day a better experience. And yes, I understand profits (I'm an accountant) so I know there are costs to do this but where there's a will...

30. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future!
    Ski Pass - Gold

What small area at Perisher did you have in mind?

31. cin

cin Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

You don’t need to open the entire mountain earlier, just a couple of the lifts close to the base and stagger the opening times outwards as more staff become available.
    I’ve skied Thredbo Supertrail numerous times at 7am with DWA, and certain racing teams get to do it too.
    Groomers work all night so getting them off the mountain is no valid excuse, thy. Old be working on the outer reaches of the resort that have later opening times by sunrise.

piolet likes this.
  32. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

They have to get back to base to park up?

33. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty!
    Ski Pass - Gold

They run groomers on open runs in Japan when necessary, not sure what the drama is - they’ve got flashy lights and they’re kinda hard to miss!

piolet, Jacko4650 and skifree like this.
  34. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

That may be the issue at Perisher. Numpties just don't miss them. LOL

Ted Harper and LMB like this.
  35. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Most likely just the V8 or smiggs. Both just represent a small area of the resort.

It would also have the benefit of thinning out the traffic on the way up - acknowledging that by weekends during peak though you'd be parking past smiggs by 8am. Sux for those of us with young kids that will struggle to get out of the house before 7am :(

36. Marty_McSly

Ski Pass - Gold

Smiggs, yeah. Well quarantined if Link T isn't running. Well except for the few who'll hike around the top.

V8 is a bit more problematic. Peeps won't stay in Front Valley. They'll skive off towards Leichhardt, down to Pretty Valley and on to Interceptor. It'll need some roping and patrollers on duty at key points to keep peeps contained. Then the ropes have to be lifted at the appropriate time. Not as simple as just running the lift.

Still I suppose that sort of thing is de rigeur at overseas resorts for avy blasting after heavy overnight falls. Just depends on whether the extra cost gives VR any benefit.

Ted Harper likes this.
  37. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

I disagree that the areas need to be roped. If people know that the V8 is the only lift open, 99% wont try and ride across to the closed lifts until they are open. Just like what happens now when V8 is the only lift open until 9, noone rides to Mt P until just before 9. Anyway, hopefully they look to implement soon. It makes sense.

38. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us

Open some (not all areas or lifts early) so Ops staff can prioritise and then close lifts early so as to not increase wages dramatically. There are many afternoons when you ride runs alone. Like any business, you have to think creatively sometimes to improve customer experiences without sacrificing margins.

Marty_McSly, Kash and cin like this.