1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Lift Passes Options

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Jozo, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Jozo

Jozo Hard Yards

I am wanting to purchases passes for the family and i for our trip at the end of July and noticed that they do not offer the 5 of 7 day passes anymore.

Is this correct, and that now you can only buy consecutive days?

If this is the case, ill probably look at cancelling our trip. Having three little ones, they are quite sporadic. One day their might be sick, or another day want a day off etc. It just doesnt seem flexible, and thats a major factor for us.

2. LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Others have come up with clever ways of using Mountain Collective and Icon passes to get discounted passes. Hopefully they'll share their tricks here or you could mine the 2021 Thredbo reports thread.

Good idea for a thread by the way.

3. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

They just don't have the ability to be as flexible as a normal season.

With heavy restrictions on numbers, the usual balance of supply and demand is out the window.

Many of us have paid double for our tickets and still consider ourselves lucky to have access at all.

LaNeige likes this.
  4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

In 2019 in school holidays I could just rock up with a tribe of children to SciTech in Perth and get in. There was no Maximum Capacity. However in January 2020 we had to apologise to the children because trying to book the week before school holidays ALL tickets for all days were sold. They had dramatically reduced capacity due to covid restrictions, and we missed out. The following school holiday we booked 6 weeks in advance to make sure we got our day. The most recent school holidays we still had to pre-book but we were able to do it 3 days out because limits were raised and more activities were available in the community.

Ski resorts are similarly effected to a greater or lesser degree.
    It is what it is.
    This is not a normal year.

You have the option of pre-booking two or three days in the week, and taking a gamble on getting tix for the other days if they wanted to ski on the day.

Its not ideal.
    Not a lot is at the moment.

I have to say, after missing out on snow time at all last year due to covid restrictions and being locked in to WA I’d be erring on the side of booking ALL the days we might want to ski and if the kids bail the kids bail. (But I have previously paid for a day ticket for one or two short runs - whole other story).

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    May the snow make up for the back pocket hit.

AJS, crackson and currawong like this.
  5. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thredbo have massively tightened up their pass offerings this year. They only offer consecutive days - but given that there is no actual discount for anything more than a 3 day pass (at the end of July / start of August the "discount" is 6%, reducing tickets to $159 per day for adults) you could potentially just go with individual day passes?

If the kids are 12 and under, then a Mountain Collective pass at $USD129 is cheaper over 2 days than buying from Thredbo. You can nominate Thredbo as your preferred resort through the MC pass giving you a 3rd day. Any days bought after that are at a 50% discount.

6. zac150

zac150 A Local Ski Pass: Gold

To be fair I don’t recall any resorts offering five or seven day pass for a while. I know Vail don’t, well they didn’t a few years back.

7. Jozo

Jozo Hard Yards

Thredbo have had 5 to 7, and 7 to 9 day passes for a while up until last year. Its great because you could buy a 5 of 7 pass, and choose which 5 days in the week you could ski. Great for kids or the wife who needs a days rest in between.

8. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger Consumer of Eggs Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I don't get the restricted numbers bit - I thought the capacity limits were no longer in place?

asammut_au likes this.
  9. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

i think the resorts/lift cos have been waiting for confirmation of that

10. zac150

sure but from memory the savings aren’t that great, to be fair I haven’t really looked but I know people staying with us felt it wasn’t worth the savings.

ive said before I felt it was something I wanted to see, as it helps with week accommodation buyers so from a KT perspective I thought it made sense.

11. kaegee

kaegee One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’d say just go and get day tickets when needed . Savings aren’t great . Memories for kids . Life’s too short :thumbs:

12. Goski

Goski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Or if the weather was bad for a day or two. Stay in and eat chocolate, play board games, drink many kinds of beverages.

Untele-whippet and LMB like this.
  13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

are they allowing on-the-day purchases this year? Vail are not, at least initially

14. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The vail wording is actually a bit ambiguous.

Guests without a season pass will be required to purchase lift tickets online in advance as on-the-day lift ticket purchases at the resorts will not be available until further notice

I read that as you may be able to buy on the day, if you do it online, but you can’t just rock up to the counter at the resort on the day?

15. chicski

chicski Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Perhaps trying to avoid the ticket office queues?

16. zac150

If tickets are available yes

To KT’s credit one of the things they did well last year was the credits on wind hold days, they didn’t want crowding waiting for lifts so had the refund system. We logged in and found credits sitting on our accounts that were from last year.

JG, crackson and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  17. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Better still be restrictions.

Just to be sure.

18. ShavedBadger

ShavedBadger Consumer of Eggs Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

coldsnapcharles and LaNeige like this.