Lift prices Whistler vs Australia

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LMSM, Oct 28, 2018.

1. LMSM

LMSM Hard Yards

My family of five are going to be in Whistler over Christmas this year. First time on overseas snow for us so we are all very excited. However, after looking up the website to get an idea of lift tickets and ski school prices I was a bit shocked at how expensive they are.

All we ever hear in Australia is how expensive our prices are and why would you ski here when you are better off going overseas where it’s all cheaper. Now I realise we are going in peak holiday season so we are going to be paying peak prices but when I worked out the equivalent tickets using Falls Creek pricing and we are talking substantially more expensive in Whistler. Am I wrong? Am I looking up the wrong things? I do realise that you are getting much more bang for your buck but the difference in price just didn’t seem to fit with the idea that overseas is much more reasonable.

2. chrisj

chrisj Hard Yards
    Ski Pass - Gold

Overseas is a big place.

3. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Whistler is one of the most expensive places to ski in the world. Shares that dubious honour with a bunch of other Vail owned resorts.
    I'd suggest looking at somewhere like Sun Peaks or Big White for value for your first trip OS.

SnowRabbit likes this.
  4. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Not as big as it used to be.. ..

5. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Don’t forget to add another 12% taxes to whatever prices you see advertised

SnowRabbit likes this.
  6. Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Depends how many days you want to ski

Everywhere has gone so season or epic pass oriented that day passes and multi day passes are pretty expensive

7. LMSM

LMSM Hard Yards

I knew Whistler was expensive...I suppose I was just a bit shocked at how expensive compared to here. The Whistler part of our trip is actually one part of our holiday with extended family. We are all staying in Vancouver for a couple of weeks after Whistler which we are also looking forward to. Accommodation for both was locked in months ago because with 21 people we couldn’t really leave things to the last minute. The accommodation wasn’t too bad price wise...just the lift passes threw me for a loop.

8. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

The trick is to catch early bird season passes. They are much better than walk up prices. The break even point is generally about 2 weeks. Unfortunately it is too late now.

Born2ski likes this.
  9. Harper11

Ski Pass - Gold

Also whistler offers s fair bit more than falls creek to be fair

Piste Again and Lady Penelope like this.
  10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

This.

I paid a fortune for lift tickets on my last trip to the US which was after about 10 years off. I wanted to wake up in the morning and decide which of the 10 resorts within an hour's drive to ski. Cost a king's ransom but we made the most of the powder days. In retrospect I should have bought a Mountain Collective pass as that covered Alta/Snowbird and Jackson.

11. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

It’s apples and oranges though is it.

12. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Holy shit batman! A 14 of 17 day pass is $133/day. The 2 of 3 day is $151/day.

Japan and Europe (except Switzerland) are miles cheaper. And they frequently offer 5 hour passes, late start passes, saturday discounts and things that make them cheaper again.

We've been going to Canada some northern winters and spending a week at Whistler with some mates of ours who moved to Vancouver Island. I was going to go there this January but they didn't want in. Her exact words were "Whistlers got crazy expensive as has Mt Washington. ". They're coming to France with us in January 2020 instead, and I'm going to Japan in about 67 days :woohoo:.

13. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yes, Whistler is expensive but also an amazing pair of mountains with a huge amount of vertical. Are any of you likely to need lessons, as it’s often better value to bundle a lift and lesson package? That also includes some pretty advanced lessons, by the way, including their camps. Significant discounts are to be found if you buy before 31 August, so you’ve missed the boat there. You also can get free guided tours. Avoid weekends if you can, unles you enjoy lengthy (albeit well organised) lift lines.

14. Piste Again

Ski Pass - Gold

Hmmm. Chamonix/Mont Blanc unlimited, 10 ski fields, is $A101 for a one day pass or $82/day for a 6 day pass. Not trying to argue about the terrain, but the difference in price is pretty staggering.

15. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ...
    Ski Pass - Gold

True. I haven’t skied in Europe (yet!) so can’t comment on prices there. I was simply commenting on Whistler as a Canadian resort since that is where the OP will be over Christmas. He/she may find prices cheaper at the resorts closer to Vancouver such as Grouse Mountain - @sly_karma may wish to provide further info here ...

#15 Lady Penelope, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  16. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

You picked the wrong resort if you wanted cheap lift tickets. You need to lock in early bird season passes for the best pricing in North America or resorts sometimes have "free skiing for kids" with accommodation packages.

If you want cheap lift tickets, come to Japan. $163 for a season pass for Tomamu gives you unlimited skiing plus a host of other benefits. (That's part of a family pass, $650 for 2 adults and 2 kids). Furano will cost us about $80 a day for 2 adults and 2 kids. (kids ski free and Tomamu season pass holders get discounted tickets)

Best day ticket price I got was just a few years ago in Myoko Japan, $15 for an adult day ticket. :D

17. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Mind you it costs me nothing to ride in whistler.
    My perisher season pass works just fine.
    *with a few exceptions.

18. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Grouse/Seymour/Cypress are less money but less mountain too. Whistler has acreage and vertical that put it at the top of the pile in nth america year after year. You always pay top dollar when you opt for the top of the pile. There are lots of ways to buy a lift pass these days, with almost as complex a pricing structure as the airline industry, but still the best deal is early bird season pass.

The Euro mega resorts tout their massive lifted areas and huge vert, but often you're paying for facilities you have little chance of using. In theory, you can ski a different lift every run and traverse your way across the countryside and end up three valleys away, brekky in Suisse, lunch in Italia, etc. How much actual skiing did you do? Traveling from one valley to another takes time and lots of relatively empty vertical. Not the same as cranking laps on a fast lift on steep terrain and racking up real vert. Both are good on their day, it's not an apples to apples comparison. Nth american resorts might have less skiable acreage, but it's all patrolled and opens relatively quickly on a powder day.

Chalkie likes this.
  19. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

How much is the early bird Epic pass that gives unlimited Whistler access?

20. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Just a little!

21. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

I’m going too whistler for 11 days and have decided to just buy an Epic pass, $949USD but this deal runs out Nov 1.

22. Harper11

Ski Pass - Gold

The Australia epic pass is probably the best value for whistler for that length

I’m thinking of getting one for a trip in a years time but I won’t ski Perisher

23. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

You only get 10 days at Whistler (and Vail, B Creek or Breck) with the Australian epic pass

24. Piste Again

Ski Pass - Gold

You could probably base in Vancouver and spend a day or two at each to fill in most of a week. F20 has a trail map from every resort she's skied. It's close to wallpaper!

As a first time visitor, that's the mistake we made, as does everyone. It's considerably cheaper than North America anyway, but once you work out how the area works, you can buy a pass for just one part of the mega-resort and stick to that for the day. For example, in Portes du Soleil you can buy the full PDS pass, or save about 20% and just get Avoriaz, Les Gets or the Swiss resorts. For the smaller resorts in the area like Roc d'Enfer and Mt Chery you save about 50%. Then you have the option of a full day, a 5 hour or a late start. We stay most of a month and ski 15-20 days and it works out cheaper to go day by day and only buy the full area pass if we want to go for a longer ski.

sly_karma likes this.
  25. Harper11

Ski Pass - Gold

That’s plenty for me for this trip
    Taking the kids

And it works out at $80 aud per day which is hard to beat

26. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

27. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Breck is unlimited with blackout days. Not included in those 10 days.

Donzah likes this.
  28. Whatever really

Whatever really Hard Yards

The Australian pass is 10 days and has holiday block out periods,
    If you are going for less than 10 days and outside these dates it’s great if not you are best with the Whistler epic pass.

29. Harper11

Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah the black out dates aren’t too bad

Generally they are days you’d want to avoid anyway

• 29 - 30 November 2019
    • 19 - 31 December 2019
    • 18 January 2020
    • 15 - 16 February 2020
    • 7, 14, 21 March 2020

30. skipperlee

skipperlee First Runs

skied whistler twice with 3 kids - I bought lift tickets/ski hire bundles well in advance it was buy 1 adult get 1 kid free - so 2 kids skied for free and the teenager had a discount price aswell. we went over presidents week and was busy but if you got to bottom lift for opening you missed the rush although there was a couple bottlenecks where the queues were big but organised with no pushing (big red , emerald , symphony)