1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

lift times and beginner runs

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Serial Blogger, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Serial Blogger

Serial Blogger First Runs

What time do the lifts open in the morning at Falls? IIRC from last year it was 8:30am but I couldn't find anything on their site to confirm this. I'm trying to figure out how many runs I could get in (as a fairly new snowboarder, mind you) before the lessons start at 10am. We'll be there during the week, so if anyone has rough weekday estimates of lift line waits in the morning that could help me.

And also, what would be a good run to use as a refresher first thing on the monday morning? I got in a whole two days last year before I fell off monkey bar and wrenched my knee, so I'm rusty and unskilled.
    [​IMG]

#1 Serial Blogger, Jul 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Hard Yards

interesting that you hurt your knee snowboarding, one of my mates has a dodgy knee and he was told theres no way he should ski on it but with a brace snowboarding should be ok

in my opinion dont bother with monkey bar or those other tiny slopes, go straight to drovers or wombats ramble

i havnt been this year yet but i would assume its still 8-30am?

3. Serial Blogger

Jeffo: I did the knee when I came off the poma with only one leg strapped in. I tried to roll, my foot didn't want to (what with the four feet of board strapped to it)... a few days with compression bandages and anti-inflammatory cream and it was fine. That, of course, was with two days to go.

I might give wombats a go for the monday. It wasn't open last year, so it'll be something new (spent two days on Drovers last year).

Cheers!

4. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Monkey bar is an excellent beginner lift. And so is drovers. I was told that towers is open from 8:30, so I assume drovers would be too, and maybe monkey bar. Ring the lift co and check up. Normally I'd say start on monkey bar, but drovers being a chair might be less tiring and frustrating before your lesson. Queue should be very small first thing in the morning.

5. beaniebabe1

beaniebabe1 One of Us

i hate the pomas on a board...they should all be removed!!!

you'll enjoy wombats...it's a long run, but a goodie...

6. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

do not use wombats as your first run. It is 2km long, and can seem narrow until you get your turns working. If you are trying to get things working quickly before your first lesson, don't put yourself under the pressure of having to get down that run in time. Start off on something nice and wide. Enjoy wombats later.

7. Serial Blogger

I had two lessons last year, and was just getting the hang of linking my turns the day I did my knee. Seeing as the first few runs are more of an experiment to see how well I can turn, I might go for Drover's then. Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

#7 Serial Blogger, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  8. Andrew N

Andrew N First Runs

I find most years that Gully chair tends to be the first lift to open - so if you can get out of the village down to the bottom of Gully then give Gully run a few warm up laps. Then you can hit Summit or Eagle chair for your preferred runs after that. If you want to make a lesson, I would advise a couple of 8:30am laps of Gully, then to Cloud 9 for a pick-me up coffee - then to the ski school [​IMG]

Depends on when you are going for lift lines, but generally even in an excellent season there are very few people out for first lifts.

First lift on Summit is one of my favourites - very high speed and smooth groomed run down on Exhibition or similar in the early morning is unbelievable!

#8 Andrew N, Jul 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013