1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Lifts open at Falls

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by SAGE, Jun 24, 2014.

1. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

They had No lifts operating today, 2 lifts only tomorrow...what a joke! Perisher had 20 lifts open today. The sooner Merlin off loads Falls and Hotham to a company that actually wants to run a ski resort the better. Get rid of Merlin..

2. Aradica

Aradica Early Days

NSW had an early dump that didn't make it to VIC I'm pretty sure.

3. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

NSW resorts such as Perisher had a 15cm of snow a few weeks again. I'd hardly call that a dump. Perisher then followed up with snow making and grooming over the past 2 weeks. They have used their infrastructure and staff wisely. Because of that they now have a fully operating ski resort. Falls and Hotham have become the 2 joke resorts in Australia due to Merlin. At any rate Gully is an antiquated transport lift and what is mousetrap?

4. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I'm not banging merlin's drum, but there is a big difference between no snow and 15cm in terms f getting your snowmaking areas open

5. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher has extra altitude and as Aradica said they have had natural snow fall. This is the first snow at Falls this season that is more than a dusting.

Perisher is renowned for being very "practical" (read cynical and penny-pinching) about only opening part of the resort regardless of cover. Falls is pretty good about opening what has cover. They don't tend to waste snowmaking effort and $$s early on because experience says it is often washed away. When thew time is right they take snowmaking and grooming very seriously.

gully is really primarily for foot traffic in the village and mousetrap is a short carpet style lift for absolute beginners. I don't include in them my lift count, but they are important for some.

they are expecting to have 3 runs open on Towers which is great.

bottom of drovers is always a bit slower to open because it is quite boggy there. looks like they are hoping to get it going in a couple of days. wind scour is also an issue for getting eagle and scotts going.

I'm quite happy with what Falls is doing at the moment and I certainly don't think it's a joke. If I could I'd go up and have a play on Towers tomorrow. Don't know why you are so bitter & twisted about it.

#5 currawong, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    wannaski likes this.
  6. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Perisher had 15cm weeks ago. A very marginal patchy cover. Thredbo had no snow at all at Merritts or Friday Flat. Thredbo was making snow on grass, no base snow at all. Over the weeks it has rained, been sunny and with warm temps. Both Perisher and Thredbo have tried and persisted in snow making, Perisher some nights had have 190 guns going other nights 7 guns going... but they have tried. Thredbo and Perisher are located roughly in the same area competing against each other for the same market share. Falls and Hotham are owned by the same London based company they are not competing or trying to take market share away from the other competitor. That's why tomorrow Falls with have 2 ski lifts open a transport lift and a kiddies lift and Hotham maybe the same.

7. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Please don't make your comments personal. I am talking about large companies. I am not talking about you. I don't why comments have to be made personal.

8. currawong

Falls have tried a few times and it has pretty much melted the same day. No point pissing away money. I'd rather they spent it on something useful.

Merlin do not appear to be less committed to snowmaking than their predecessors.

When SIC was at Thredbo last year we were really surprised at how bad the cover was at Thredbo. Falls had much better cover at that time, but still pretty poor.

9. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Perisher regarding comments cynical and penny pinching had 20 lifts operating today. Falls has a roughly 70 cm base and had no lifts operating today, there was no skiing or boarding at Falls today. Why? Perisher is a well oiled and well run company. They have a formula and they stick to it and it works. It makes them money and people can ski and have been skiing and boarding for the past weeks. Falls and Hotham are sporadic and inconsistent in their snow making and grooming and this is evidenced yesterday no lifts, today no lifts and tomorrow 2 lifts.

10. nisstrust

nisstrust One of Us

If you look at the cams over the last week, falls have had no base, temps have been marginal to say the least with little snow making opps i'd guess. Sure there is a base now, but its a base. Come the weekend they will open a few lifts once it settles.

11. currawong

1. last night took Falls from 0 to 20cm. there was not enough snow to open lifts this morning, let alone groom and otherwise prepare.

2. I thought there was too much wind today to run any lifts

Tomorrow will be the first day they could possibly open. If it stays windy they may still not be able to open. Its got SFA to do with organisation and commitment.

wannaski likes this.
  12. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Stupid Falls bashing is stupid. Facts don't support it.

wannaski and Hully like this.
  13. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Thredbo 2 days ago was grass basically from 3/4 to bottom. They are reporting an 80 cm fall. Tomorrow they will operate 6 lifts with skiing/boarding top to bottom. Why is Falls operating 2 lifts.

14. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

My comments are directed to the management and operations of Falls Creek Ski Lift Company (aka Merlin). Not to Falls Creek itself.

15. nick12

nick12 Addicted

I was at Perisher on the weekend and what opened today wasn't far off opening on Sunday.
    Falls creek have had marginal temps for snow making and no snowfall until yesterday. Getting towers and FX open for tomorrow is a pass mark in my opinion. Scotts would be an A.

Base isn't 70cm. Falls creek snow report only claims 53cm fell in the last 24hrs.

16. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

There is alot more than 20 cm of snow at Falls.

17. cold wombat

Stupid uninformed bashing is stupid and uninformed.

Hully likes this.
  18. nick12

nick12 Addicted

Falls Creek Report said 20cm at 6am, 34cm at 9am.

19. currawong

which lifts do you think they should be able to run tomorrow?

they say they have 2 days work to do to get drovers bottom sorted - it's always an issue because it is boggy
    they say that wind scour means top of eagle and scotts is bare. that probably effects Monkeybar too, and really not too many people are hanging out to ski monkeybar
    it takes days to build poma tracks on Lakeside and Inter
    Don't know who is reporting 80cm. 1 hr ago Falls were saying 55 - not enough to open summit or inter
    they really need scotts open to open Ruined, otherwise they need to ferry people by road.

Wind permitting there will be 5 runs open on 2 lifts with some poaching opportunities too no doubt

20. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Falls Creek Express ran all day for staff only, didn't stop once. Gully chairlift all day as well. Wind was not an issue at Falls today.

21. Karicta

Dude, they haven't had enough snow and conditions have not been such that they could effectively make it. In this case, laziness is not a factor.

Your argument about competition bw falls and hotham is rubbish in this instance also. The commercial reality is they will attract more visitors if they have lifts open. Do you think there is a chance they wouldn't have tried to at least have towers open for the school holidays if it was possible?

wannaski likes this.
  22. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Yes it is all about commercial realities. It is a business, all ski lift operations in Australia are run to make a profit. As a general comment, in between June long weekend and the next school holidays in June/July most of the people that use the lifts (if they are running) are season pass holders. They have already paid for their tickets... so it doesn't matter if the lifts run or not. This is the business model that Falls and Hotham operate on. Yes Karicta you are right it is all about school holidays, these are dollars out there that Perisher, Thredbo, Falls and the rest are now chasing. The business model that Falls/Hotham operates on is: open as few lifts as possible between now and school holidays. If you purchased a season pass for Falls/Hotham then today you where ripped off. Falls/Hotham have taken your money. It is in the bank. You didn't ski or board today. Another Champagne cork just popped at the Savoy in London. Sorry Dude you have been ripped off.... unless you have staff pass and didn't pay for it.

23. cold wombat

^^ Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

24. Karicta

Their ability to manufacture a dump in the nick of time is almost almighty though ;)

But back on topic bc lo we have strayed:

Still snowing (per cederwood cam)

25. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Yes Perisher and Thredbo both competing against each other have perfected snow making in Australia, warm weather, rain, little snow and no free public dam to pump from!. The tiny lift and one run at Dinner Plain which is staffed and run by Hotham now has snow making courtesy of Sate and Federal government grants of $900,000.00! And to use the lift at Dinner Plain one can't use your Falls Creek Hotham Season Pass you have to pay. Waiter my dear, another bottle of Krug, my dear old thing.

26. Hully

Hully One of Us

Sage, a heap of vitriol from an anonymous first time poster. 20cm reported by Ski Patrol this morning from an approx 6:30am reading and there was nowhere near enough snow on dark last night that would suggest opening lifts this morning. Logic and fact will not make a difference to a person with clearly the personal axe to grind that you have. I have lost out personally and financially at the corporate financial actions of the Merlin lead administration but cannot agree with the aggressive statements made here. (and I don't hide behind an anonymous alias) Nothing stopping you from hiking/skinning for runs.

wannaski likes this.
  27. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Bullshit.

They had a 0cm base 24 hours ago, 34cm about 9am and that accumulated to 55cm reported at about 7pm.

34cm of ungroomed on no base with no visibility is a liability. I would say Falls did well to NOT try to open anything today. I would say Ski Patrol would have had a hard enough time just assessing the slope, let alone opening it up to the general public!

wannaski and Hully like this.
  28. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

Please don't make the comments personal. I am making comments about the management of the Falls Creek Ski Lift Company. AKA Merlin. Why didn't the lifts operate at Falls Creek today? Why did 20 lifts operate at Perisher today? Why will 6 lifts operate at Thredbo top to bottom tomorrow from no base. 2 lifts at Falls tomorrow? It is an absolute con! A deliberate business decision. I have a season pass at Falls. I was at Falls today alpine skiing and yes I did skiing at Falls today. And I won't resort to petty personal attacks.

29. Snow Gun

Snow Gun A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Wow, it must have snowed.

How about we keep this on topic and discuss the Snow Reports and post a few pics. Company discussion and management can be taken elsewhere.

As at 10.30am today, there was a 36cm base and 14cm since 6am. That would have progressed substantially over the day. I reckon the groomers will be out as we speak preparing some runs and lift areas and we should see some lifts operating very soon.

The season is upon us, the snow is upon us, let's enjoy it.

wannaski likes this.
  30. Hully

Hully One of Us

You cannot make the statements that you do and say don't make criticism towards your statements personal. The work required to get lifts operating (Patrol preparing ski signage, markings, ropes etc, groomers packing and preparing runs, lifts operations building and shaping ramps) is done by individuals who's work you are personally criticizing. I worked very closely with the previous ownership(s) management and strongly believe that more ski lifts/runs would not have been opening tomorrow under that management in the same situation. Valid criticism is fair and warranted but you are off the mark with this tirade.

wannaski, cold wombat and currawong like this.
  31. Snow Gun

Snow Gun A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Ok, back to the reports please.....

32. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

Ha ha ha......true. No idea why people are getting so defensive anyway about their 'beloved' resort. At the end of the day 2 lifts tomorrow is still a piss poor effort and I don't even have a season pass! :out:

33. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

I feel sorry for posters if posters are taking these comments personally. I feel sorry for posters if posters can't separate their own identities from Falls Creek itself or Falls Creek Ski Lift Company. I feel sorry for posters who attack posters who criticise Falls Creek Ski Lift Company. Ski runs and ski lifts at Falls Creek should has been operational today. Not all, at the very least Falls Creek Express. 2 lifts tomorrow is a pathetic effort by a ski lift company after such a massive fall of snow. I feel sorry for the workers of Falls Creek Ski Lift Company who are left to defend the actions of their managers.

34. Stratus

Stratus A Local

I feel very sorry for you if you actively chose to ignore information provided to you in this thread that disproves your bigoted ideology about FCRM. You can't make outrageous claims but not be prepared to defend them. Sorry!!

wannaski and currawong like this.
  35. currawong

Why is it piss poor? Hully is very knowledgable about lift co and resort operations. I know less but I've been skiing there for over 30 years and have a fairly good understanding of place. Neither of us have any particular reason to defend the lift co and we both criticise the company from time to time. But we understand the realities of getting the mountain open and think that it is entirely reasonable that there only be those lifts tomorrow.

You can wish for more lifts all you like but that doesn't make it realistic.

Timmossy likes this.
  36. currawong

And I have never worked for fcsl or fcrm and have no need to defend them. I just like skiing there and try to understand the place.

37. SAGE

SAGE First Runs

I think that all of this has become very aggressive and very personal. As the moderator hasn't intervened then I feel that If you post on this forum and you work for Falls Creek Ski Lifts or Falls Creek Resort Management, I feel you should identify you name and position in the company instead of attacking posters anonymously. It seems to me that 2 or 3 the posters currently online work for the Falls Creek Lift Company. No lifts today and 2 lifts tomorrow is a pathetic effort, based purely on economics driven out of London.

38. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

Cool........I just thought it's poor effort seeing that Hotham being all of 10km away as the crow (Currawong?) flies will have 6 lifts open tomorrow which will most likely involve Summit all the way down to The Village Chair.

39. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

At the end of the day, having a b*tch here isn't going to get you far, best thing would be to head to the Lift Company tomorrow for a chat.

Hully likes this.
  40. Hully

Hully One of Us

Don't work for FCSL, seasonally employed by FCRM as a general shit kicker with no position of influence or power....I don't hide behind an alias. Now what is your name and who do you work for at Falls Creek?

Timmossy likes this.
  41. Hully

Hully One of Us

Hotham had 50cm as of first thing this morning...Falls had 20cm.

42. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

Dude they're 10km apart............

43. Hully

Hully One of Us

I am not questioning the geographic locality of the two resorts....it just happens and not just because of altitude difference. In summer Falls can get 100mm of rain in a day and Hotham 50mm for example, or vice versa. That's roughly 50cm in snow terms. It's not a conspiracy.

44. Timmossy

Timmossy One of Us

Damn......I was secretly hoping for a conspiracy.

Hully likes this.
  45. cold wombat

My comments in reply to you are not personal. They are not aimed at you. They are aimed at the dribble of drivel that you posted. I have never skied Falls. I have nothing whatsoever to do with Falls Creek management of any sort, except that I have given them some money for lift tickets this year. I am distinctly uninterested in defending them or anybody else wrt their business model or ethics. My interest extends no further than calling you on the nonsense you have written. You have made your position clear. I believe I have also. Think what you like, but I've now lost interest in your nonsensical rant.

46. currawong

So Hotham will have 6?
    Summit Trainer
    Big D
    Upper Playground

Plus Summit Quad, Road Runner and the Village Chair on standby.

I'd rather have 3 runs on towers plus last hoot than summit trainer, big d and upper playground.
    If the standby lifts do turn, summit and roadrunner don't as much new terrain. village has some potential if runs other than the main cat track are open, or at least poachable

Counting lifts is not the whole story.

BTW if you are counting summit trainer you should probably count mousetrap

47. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

email them then rather than ranting here

48. Karicta

Ranting = Internet forum

49. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

I am sorry Sage. Sno-Info Moderators are voluntary and don't work 24/7 - we are certainly not paid by the people who own this website, least of all being paid by Falls Creek (management). So please do not make baseless accusations without any facts to back it up.

Let's address your complaint of "personal comments from posters opposing your posts", rationally,one by one:

1) You come in here and post negative comments about Falls Creek. That is fair enough, everyone is entitled to an opinion and the ability to air that opinion in public if they so choose.

2) People who frequent this forum tend to be fans of, and/or locals who live in (or near), Falls Creek. Naturally, negative comments about Falls Creeks from anyone (not just from you) are going to elicit posts from some of these people defending their favourite resort. For example, if I unfairly criticised your choice of cars, I expect no less than a defensive retort from you and fans of your brand of cars.

Again, there is nothing personal about this (please list where you feel comments have been directed at you personally and we'll debate that one by one if you wish). If you are going to dish it out, be prepared to cop it back. Applies to anything in life, not just in this forum.

HOWEVER, when posters retort with well-reasoned (IMHO) arguments as to why your comments are out-of-line, you (from what I read from pretty much from all of your posts) ignore these arguments and continue by repeating your own arguments, still with nothing much substantive or otherwise to back up those arguments. Worse still, you make a general accusation that other posters' response are "personal". And this you did very early in the thread (See below).

3) In the 7th post of this thread - your 4th post in this thread, after only 3 replies from 3 different posters. You complain that other posters' posts have become "personal". I am sorry, but as an fair minded rational individual, I can't see how the posts by Aradica, Karicta and most of Currawong's, at THAT point can be construed as a personal attack on you. About the only sentence that can even be remotely construed as "personal" is when Currawong asked you a question "why you are so bitter & twisted about it?"

That was a question, asked after observation of the way/style in which you have posted. Remember, according to your profile, you are NEW to this forum. No one knows who you are, no one has met you, so the only opinion of you that can be formed is via your posts. That is NOT a personal attack in my book, it is how people are responding to your rather aggressive and outspoken style of writing. If you feel that those 3 responses to your 4 posts within the first 7 posts are "personal", oh my goodness, then pretty much everyone/anyone who responds to your posts can be accused of being personal, which, I'm sorry, is simply ludicrous. That's rather judgmental, in my opinion but you and everyone else also HAVE the right to be judgmental.

I'm sorry, but if you choose to air an opinion, you need to be able to defend it rationally, and NOT hide behind accusing everyone else of being personal against you. That is NOT the way to win any argument or convince anyone to be on your side. It will only serve to antagonise.

Even later responses by others were addressing YOUR POSTS, not YOU. That is how reasonable people sort out differences of opinion. They don't waste time throwing around baseless accusations and make statements not backed up by facts/experience. From my experience, your arguments have not been backed up by much fact and I don't see any evidence, too, of experience (welcome to correct me if I am wrong - you could state who you are, your credentials and who you work work and we will see if it stacks up).

4) Also, a lot of the posters who responded here have been long term active users of Sno-Info. I have personally met many of them, or know people whom I trust that have met them. However, no one here knows who you are. You could be someone from a rival company/resort trying to stir up trouble and draw attention to another place. Who knows? You have come in here anonymously and slung dirt about Falls Creek Management. And yet you accuse others whom you know nothing about of working for the management and defending it/their practices. Pot Kettle Black? How can you be so sure?

I'm sorry that you feel so aggrieved that you have to come in here to vent - vent by all means, but don't expect sympathy or agreement when your arguments are less than convincing and at the first moment of resistance from others, you accuse them of making personal attacks.

Finally, as Crystal, another moderator, said - if you feel so strongly about how bad Falls Creek is managed, take it up with them directly! By all means air your opinion about this here, but for goodness sake don't accuse other posters of being sycophants of FC management or being personal when they are just defending their favourite resort (with well reasoned retorts)

50. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Ski Pass: Gold

Mod's Note: I am reopening this thread for the time being. But if it deteriorates, becomes unproductive/vindictive then I will shut this down permanently.