Liquid Snow Tours - Hakuba

Maya A

Hard Yards
Aug 10, 2016
Hi,

I was looking at booking a one week snow trip to Hakuba with Liquid Snow Tours to stay at The Lab, its around $850 for 7 nights dorm share and 5 or 6 day mountain lift pass (guided tour appaz) with daily continental breakkie. As well as some other extras.
Questions:
a) has anyone used this company,and what are your experiences and thoughts?
b) is this economic? Ive got a tentative booking with the Deep and Steep lodge in Echoland with breakkie for 7 nights for $355 which seems really
decent.

Cheers all :)

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Hi,

I was looking at booking a one week snow trip to Hakuba with Liquid Snow Tours to stay at The Lab, its around $850 for 7 nights dorm share and 5 or 6 day mountain lift pass (guided tour appaz) with daily continental breakkie. As well as some other extras.
Questions:
a) has anyone used this company,and what are your experiences and thoughts?
b) is this economic? Ive got a tentative booking with the Deep and Steep lodge in Echoland with breakkie for 7 nights for $355 which seems really
decent.

Cheers all :)

The most important thing at Hakuba is hotel location.

The 8 or so mountains are spread right up the valley. If you don't have a car, you either need the place to be close to both lifts and shuttle buses, or the hotel provides drop off, pick up.
e.g. The Lab is 700m to the closest lifts at Happo(Nakiyama) or 300m to Snowlines Lodge shuttle bus stop.
Map:
http://www.happo-one.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/bus_schedule.pdf

Shuttles are more accessible in Echoland.
Deep and Steep is not far from where I usually stay, but I have a car + they have drop off, pick up. It's maybe 150-200m to the shuttle stop.

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
Also which shuttle stop you are at. The buses can get too full for people to get on during peak periods.
So if you are at one of the last stops you can be out of luck.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Also which shuttle stop you are at. The buses can get too full for people to get on during peak periods.
So if you are at one of the last stops you can be out of luck.
That's a good point. That's why often, the Wadano area off Happo, near the Sakka lifts is good, because it's the first stop on the shuttle.
In that area: Penke Panke Lodge
http://www.penkepanke.com/en/

Reactions: Maya A

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
That's handy to know as were about 2 mins to the Sakka base lift, should be able to get a seat fairly easily to get to the other mountains :)

Maya A

Hard Yards
Aug 10, 2016
That's a good point. That's why often, the Wadano area off Happo, near the Sakka lifts is good, because it's the first stop on the shuttle.

Appaz - short for "apparently" lol

Ok so I'm going feb 24th of feb to March 3rd which isnt peak season is it? My bus stop would be near Bear Cafe, would be 3rd or 6th depending which bus i catch lols. So do you get off at the Nakiyama slope and catch another bus to happo-one or is it a walking distance? It all looks deceptively close on google maps.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Ok so I'm going feb 24th of feb to March 3rd which isnt peak season is it? My bus stop would be near Bear Cafe, would be 3rd or 6th depending which bus i catch lols. So do you get off at the Nakiyama slope and catch another bus to happo-one or is it a walking distance? It all looks deceptively close on google maps.
Deep and Steep is next to the best cafe in Hakuba (IMO) "sounds like". Its a great location. IMO that time of year and with your skill level you'll be riding 47/Goryu more than Happo. Its a more suitable mountain. You'll have no worries getting on a shuttle .

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

There are 4 base areas at Happo One (Nakyama, Happo Gondola, Kokusai, Sakka)

Maya A

Hard Yards
Aug 10, 2016
Deep and Steep is next to the best cafe in Hakuba (IMO) "sounds like". Its a great location. IMO that time of year and with your skill level you'll be riding 47/Goryu more than Happo. Its a more suitable mountain. You'll have no worries getting on a shuttle .
Oh awesome I'll stick to it then :)
Are there separate shuttles to take you to 47/goryu?its not on the shuttles timetable :(
I feel like you're my personal travel agent haha thanks for all your tips :)

Reactions: Hully

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
I'd check appaz what you get in the way of guided tours with companies like LT. Do they actually know their way around, are they qualified? Heard shocking reports of some package tour co's guides taking people up and they've only just landed in town themselves. TBH I'd continue to crunch the numbers of DIY before taking up a package. A dorm room bed is 3,000 a night, a ticket is 4-5,000 daily. So that is around $600 for what you are talking about.

Reactions: Maya A and nfip

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Having stayed in 3 different places in Hakuba I'd highly rec the Wadano area. Main reason not to choose Wadano is that the Adam Gondola opens earlier than the other lifts and it can be hard to access from Wadano

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Happo is a crap area for snowboarding . Should be scrubbed from people's intentions (IMO)
Not sure if trolling but I loved Happo on as board. Good fall line, great vert, some nice gullies and bowls. What's not to like?

Reactions: Maya A

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Having stayed in 3 different places in Hakuba I'd highly rec the Wadano area. Main reason not to choose Wadano is that the Adam Gondola opens earlier than the other lifts and it can be hard to access from Wadano
Yes, but the Skyline area has the most ungroomed powder.

Reactions: Tanuki

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Not sure if trolling but I loved Happo on as board. Good fall line, great vert, some nice gullies and bowls. What's not to like?
We'll besides the cat tracks.. Crowds... Crap lifts and moguls. Plus it struggles snow wise IMO..
It's my least favourite hill in the valley.
Unfortunately most people just ride there.. Like a beacon.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Crowds & moguls (mainly weekends) is true.... I never ski there on a weekend. Happo gets powder, but you also need to know where to find it. Over the years, I've probably skied 100 days + at Hakuba. On powder days, I go elsewhere (not Happo), to find powder that not many people ride.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Happo is fall line hill with odd lifts and more phenix than you could poke a stick at.
I'm only circa 70 days at hakuba.. But you won't find me at happo

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
We'll besides the cat tracks.. Crowds... Crap lifts and moguls. Plus it struggles snow wise IMO..
I haven'
Crowds & moguls (mainly weekends) is true.... I never ski there on a weekend. Happo gets powder, but you also need to know where to find it. Over the years, I've probably skied 100 days + at Hakuba. On powder days, I go elsewhere (not Happo), to find powder that not many people ride.
t haven't been to Hakuba since 2013, I imagine it's super crowded (by tourists like me) I noticed a huge diff in crowd number between our first visits in 09 and the last in 2013

Maya A

Hard Yards
Aug 10, 2016
Ewww cat tracks nty

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It's not crowded, except on weekends.

I agree.

The people who make ski resorts in Honshu =the mainland crowded are mainly Japanese. On the other hand, the people who make major ski resorts in Hokkaido crowded are foreigners. I mean, most Japanese can't take long holidays, so most Japanese people ski only on weekends. Hokkaido is too far for most Honshu Japanese to ski for a few days on weekends. So as long as you avoid weekends and Japanese national holidays, even Hakuba can't be too crowded. Well, you should avoid CNY too if you ski in Hakuba, though, because it seems Hakuba started attracting East Asian recently.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass