1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Live Buller Temps

Discussion in 'Mt Buller' started by CarveMan, Jan 2, 2021.

1. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I’ve got a little WiFi weather station, started off with me wanting to remotely monitor the indoor temps in my apartment if I could find a cheap solution, and it was a small incremental cost to get an outdoor sensor too.

I’ve linked it to Wunderground: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IMOUNT293

I’m still playing with the location of the outdoor sensor, it’s in a walkway on the shady side of the building, up against the bricks of the building raises the temp by at least a degree, so I need to find a spot that isn’t getting too much radiant heat from the building but not too exposed to the elements either as I’ve read that the outdoor sensor isn’t awfully weatherproof. Temp at it’s current location seems between 1-1.5C warmer than the Buller AWS which makes sense as I’m about 100m lower in altitude, right on 1600m.

This is the indoor sensor and wifi/rf gateway: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/16
    Outdoor sensor: https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/52

2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Nice. Temp right now?

3. CarveMan

4. CarveMan

5. djam

djam One of Us

I bought a similar unit a few months back, I haven't connected it online as the units
    aren't in correct positions. I need to mount the temp/wind speed (ultrasonic) above
    rood level, plus run power for the heater, required for low temperatures. The rain gauge
    needs to be lower down, but away from stuff, which I can't do, looking to mount it
    just above the lower end of the roof.

Today it recorded 18.8 mm of rain, but is under some trees currently, hmm, the other
    day readings have just reset, as it is just past midnight. Temp now is 11.5, 86% Humidity.

I'm around 1603m odd.

CarveMan likes this.
  6. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

@CarveMan - what unit did you get? We’ve moved to the hills and after our 35mm of rain in an hour yesterday not being reflected on BOM decided we wanted to track our local stats ourselves- lots of good options out there.

7. CarveMan

Linked in bottom of first post. I don’t really have anywhere practical to put a rain gauge or an anemometer so I just wanted cheap & cheerful wifi indoor and outdoor temps.

Chaeron likes this.
  8. Chaeron

Chaeron Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak Ski Pass: Gold

:thumbs:

9. djam

djam One of Us

FYI

I bought this one with a couple more temperature sensors.

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/goodsDetail/4

The BOM wind speed is down so much, most of this winter, and I want the data for help with
    a new lift I'm working on, and I'm very close to the area where the top station will be. I got
    the ultrasonic wind speed version as the wind can break the conventional units and they ice up.
    It should be several metres above the roof, I'm yet to work out how high to mount it, many 2
    metres above the roof, that would have it around 8 metres above the ground level.

Once I'm happy the data is good, I'll put it online.

CarveMan likes this.