1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Live & work in Japan..

Discussion in 'Japan' started by dbc33, Jan 9, 2019.

1. dbc33

dbc33 Hard Yards

Hey ppl, ok I know this has most probably been talked about before but I didn't find much info and thought the forum members here could help me.. ok so I'm 36 done the normal live in Canada been through the states first trip to Japan was in 02 and love the place, looked all over the internet and unfortunately I don't have a specific field that will get me a visa... How can I actually work and live there without doing the paid under the table rort???

2. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Plan A:Having a Japanese wife / husband, you can live and work in Japan freely.

Plan B:If you have a university degree, getting a job as an English teacher is relatively easy, but most English schools pay you only 250,000+ Yen per month.

Plan C:Student visa allows you to work for 28 hours per week. Some people work more than study with a student visa. Some foreigners study at a Japanese language school for 4 - 5 hours per day and work for 5 - 6 hours. They are only allowed to work for 28 hours per week, but some work for 30+ hours.

Thanks to Japan's recent inbound tourism boom, a lot of hotels, etc in Japan are looking for English speaking employees, but they try to hire people who already have a proper visa(work visa or spouse visa). If you don't have specific skills that allow you to get a Japanese work visa, but you are desperate to work and live in Japan, you have a plan D.

Plan D: Live and work in Japan with Plan B or C for 1 or 2 years, and try to get a Japanese partner. I mean, Westerners are popular among Japanese people, so if you are seriously looking for Japanese partners for 2 years, I assume you'll get one. If you have a Japanese husband / wife, you can get proper jobs a lot more easily which will help you earn enough to raise kids.

#2 Ramenman, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Or if you are a highly skilled instructur - start from there.
    Plan A is the safest - and has some other benefits.LOL (but you will never be the head of the house) :whistle:

M_G and Ramenman like this.
  4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

What specific field/skills do you have?

The immigration rules have changed recently, to make it easier for "less skilled" people to work in Japan.
    Another option is a business investment visa.

How long have you spent in Japan? You may have liked it as a visitor/tourist, but you might find it more difficult living here in Japan, particularly if you have a lower paying job.

fennekeg and Ramenman like this.
  5. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Come to think of it, I recently see so many Indian people working at curry restaurants in Tokyo, Ibaraki, Fukushima and Yamagata these days and I don't think many of them have specific skills. I love curry, not only Ramen, so I often eat at curry restaurants. I wonder with which visa they are working there. The owners of the curry restaurants are Indian and the Indian owners are helping Indian people to get Japanese work visa?.

6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

It would be "specific skills in cooking". And the owners would sponsor them in.

7. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

You don't need to be highly skilled, but you do need to have worked 3 years of back to back seasons or 6 seasons staying in one hemisphere.

8. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Buy a bar - worked for me!

9. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

I guess so.

Many of them are not actually cooking at all, though, so the rules are not strictly applied, I think. I mean, one of the curry restaurants have about six Indian workers, but only three of them are actually cooking. The other three are taking orders from customers, doing dishes, etc and I have never seen them cooking.

Buying a bar at Hakuba, Nozawa Onsen, Myoko, etc might be expensive, but at ski resort villages in Tohoku, I assume buying a bar is a lot more reasonable;). At least, I know lodges in Tohoku are very reasonable and we also boughtLOL

10. zarik

zarik Hard Yards

Don't do the English teacher thing. Vast majority of guys I meet who do it for more than couple years hate life, job, Japan and everything else. Dead end job that sucks balls.

You can use it to find something else to do though

Do not think about visa but about what exactly you want to do.

11. dbc33

dbc33 Hard Yards

Cheers for the replying everyone, @Lucky Pete owning a bar would be great considering I grew up in a pub and most of my working life has been in hospitality lol. Was looking at a small house in the shintoku area in Hokkaido but that doesn't help me being able to stay.

12. d15812

d15812 Guest

What are your language skills like? If you are on holidays you get a false sense of things.

Food, transport, accommodation etc especially in touristy areas is not too hard to navigate but if you intend to reside then you will very quickly find that you need to (for example) locate an electrician and explain to that person how your power is out and you need them to replace that really dodgy old electrical distribution board.

If you are talking about a country location then that electrician i likely to be 50-60 years old and have zero english (and perhaps limited tolerance for foreigners). You can look up and rehearse the phrase "Please replace the distribution board" but they will proceed to ask you a heap of qualifying questions using words that no "Japanese for tourists" book or 2 week language course is ever going to cover.

Do you have the skills to ring the city office and setup a water and sewerage account?

Speaking from first hand experience, things get very difficult, very quickly.

Without a proper residency card you will not be able to:
    - open a bank account
    - purchase or register a vehicle of any kind
    - get a telephone or internet connected

I had owned my place 2 weeks and was getting some work done to repair my roof when one of the workers fell off and seriously injured himself. Ambulance, Police, work safety investigators, reports, paperwork, insurance, meetings, meetings, headaches, omg what am I doing? The worker was fine by the way - got away with a concussion and a few stitches.

13. dbc33

dbc33 Hard Yards

Very basic at the moment, each time I have been to Japan I just want to stay lol. 6 times so far but not this year unfortunately just trying to find a way.

14. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I’m the same.
    But I think I’m going to have to resign myself to just doing a 3 month stint every year that I can...

Ramenman and dbc33 like this.
  15. d15812

d15812 Guest

Don't give up on the dream, dreams that remain dreams are just fantasies.

Just keep in mind that if this is your dream start seriously investing in yourself and that dream now so that when/if the opportunity presents itself you are in a position to go after it.

Learn the language; find a local TAFE course, find an online course (I found yesjapan.com to be quite good but there are many others).

At a minimum, having better language skills will make your holidays so much more enjoyable.

munja and Chalkie like this.