Advice needed Living In Smiggins For The Season

Neason

Hard Yards
Jul 7, 2016
Hey everyone so I scored a job as a ski instructor at Perisher and will be living in Willow Lodge for the season from the 8th of June (arriving early), I decided against Jindabyne as I'd rather be closer to the slopes and not have the temptation to spend all of my pay check. Anyway I'm from SE Queensland and have only ever experienced cold weather in short bursts so I was wondering if anyone could give some advice for dealing with/living in the cold. I'd still like to have somewhat of a life on the hill so if you know anything about the nightlife in Perisher I'd love to hear about that too. Thanks in advance :) .

Fandango

Addicted
Aug 14, 2010
Get some thermals from Aldi's - tops and bottoms, you'll be snug if you get the under layers right.

Reactions: Neason

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Dont take a lot of gear! you don't have much space in Willow lodge!

Basically you uniform and then regular ski outfit. wearing that casual jacket as you goign out jacket. Jeans and hat and gloves and you will be fine.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
As above, but be super careful leaving your Apres jacket lying round at pubs etc. Could be a cold walk home if someone steals it, borrows it or mistakes it for theirs. All of the above happens regularly at other resorts and Jindabyne etc. Maybe not at Perisher

Reactions: Neason and coolair

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
follow the beans

images

Reactions: rocketboy

iagreewithhim

Blessed are the bignoses
Ski Pass
Sep 3, 2001
A very long way from everybody
Hey everyone so I scored a job as a ski instructor at Perisher and will be living in Willow Lodge for the season from the 8th of June (arriving early), I decided against Jindabyne as I'd rather be closer to the slopes and not have the temptation to spend all of my pay check. Anyway I'm from SE Queensland and have only ever experienced cold weather in short bursts so I was wondering if anyone could give some advice for dealing with/living in the cold. I'd still like to have somewhat of a life on the hill so if you know anything about the nightlife in Perisher I'd love to hear about that too. Thanks in advance :) .
You're a ski instructor and you're not used to cold weather??

Reactions: Ramshead

Seth

I am figure skating
Ski Pass
Jun 6, 2000
The Higher Ground
I decided against Jindabyne as I'd rather be closer to the slopes and not have the temptation to spend all of my pay check.
I'd still like to have somewhat of a life on the hill so if you know anything about the nightlife in Perisher I'd love to hear about that too. Thanks in advance :) .

You can't/won't do both of these. Pick one.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

IAB

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2005
The Shire, Sydney
Yeah make sure you have wet weather gear as well as cold weather gear.

Be prepared to get the shits with the shuttle bus to Perisher early and late season when the Piper and Link T-Bars aren't running.

But have fun, I'm sure you'll have a cracking time :cheers:

kimberlee81

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 8, 2004
Victoria
Visit site
Actually that was my first thought also.
Was letting it slide, figuring he just didn't know the correct name for whatever the job actually is.

One more piece of advice: NEVER go out at night without your sunglasses in the pocket of your jacket! Negotiating your way home by braille, in a suddenly sunny morning, is NOT fun!

Neason

Hard Yards
Jul 7, 2016
You're a ski instructor and you're not used to cold weather??
I live on the sunshine coast if that gives you a hint :rolleyes: , usually do all of my skiing in spring too so I haven't really had the chance to experience a proper winter before (coldest I've ever been in is 0/-1, pretty sure smidgins/perisher will regularly drop below that).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass