1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

LM advice please

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by RS_4, Aug 15, 2012.

1. RS_4

RS_4 First Runs

Any advice would be most welcomed.

I am heading up to LM on Sat 25th August. the trip is primarily to introduce my 2 year old to his first snow experience. I will also have 4 other couples and their young kids in tow.

I have heard that LM closes the gates when a certain number of visitors enter on a day, is this true?! If so, what time should I arrive to give ourselves the best chance (we are all heading up from Geelong so its a long way to drive to only get disappointed).

Is it best to pre book resort entry? I think you save $10 per car.

Any other LM tips??

We will be staying Sat night in Alexandra. I have heard the parmi at one of the pubs there is a must. Any other suggestions for things to do in and around Alexandra on the Sunday before we head for home at about early arvo?

Thanks in advance!

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It's not likely to close this weekend (well, it didn't last weekend). The only weekend it has done so this winter, was the middle weekend of the school holidays. Having said that, you really want to get there before about 9:30am to get a spot in the top car park, next to the toboggan run and snow play areas. Then you will be able to come and go to your car all day, without needing to catch the (free) shuttle bus.

To ensure you get there early, hire your gear on the Friday night on your way through to Alex. There's a place on the left side of the highway in Narbethong that stays open until 9pm on Friday nights. Hire then, and you can head straight up the mountain on Saturday morning without stopping. (Hire on the mountain is up to 3 times the cost of hiring off the mountain, and you're likely to be in a very long queue.) Edit: oops! Noticed you won't be driving up until Saturday morning. Have your car packed the night before you leave, so you can make an early get away. Include a warm change of clothing for your little one. The same ski hire on the left in Narbethong is open at 7am on Sat morning, has on site parking, and you should be served within 5 mins of arriving, even when busy.

I'd also suggest taking food and drinks with you, unless you want to pay totally over the top prices for junk food on the mountain. Maybe use their 'restaurant' for a plate of chips or coffees, but certainly take all snacks and cold drinks with you.

It would seem that the $49 entry fee as opposed to the $40 online deal will save you $9, but not quite. A credit card fee of about $3.50 will be charged and then a few days later, your bank is likely to hit you with a $1.00 international transfer fee, as they use Eventbrite which is based in Singapore for the online transactions. So, you save about $4.50 by booking online. Of course, those who do get shut off the mountain when the car parks are all full, don't get any reimbursement.

The railway museum in Alex is well worth a visit (if they're open). I'll let you know in the morning if they'll be open this weekend.

3. teckel

Another thing - it's likely to snow on Saturday, and chains may or may not be required for 2WD vehicles. If you have the option of taking a 4WD or AWD vehicle, do so, as then you won't need to hire chains, regardless of the weather.

4. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

The parma is at the Commercial Hotel which is located on the main corner within town, it's on the south eastern corner of the intersection.

I would go for the ski hire the night before, especially with the kids as then all you need to do is bail them up in the car in the morning. Getting kids ready for the snow is a handful. It'll also only be about a half hour drive to get to the mountain in the morning... getting ski hire in the morning may mean having to get up at least a half hour earlier if not more as there is more likelihood of having to deal with queues for ski hire in the morning.

I second the place on the left in Narbethong [​IMG]

I did the Online purchase, I didn't get charged a fee by the CC company, though that's probably because my card doesn't charge fees for international transactions. There was the fee that they charge as well. You can either load the pdf file onto your phone or take a print out of the receipt, either are fine.

#4 Snorkler, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  5. RS_4

RS_4 First Runs

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated.

I will be leaving from geelong on Saturday morning and making a b line for LM. I anticipate a 3.5hr drive. So getting there by 9:30 seems a bit ambitious (particularly with all the kids in tow).

Will definitely look at hiring toboggans off mountain.

Fingers crossed about not requiring chains. The vehicle that I'll be taking ain't awd, and isn't really conducive to chains (don't want to scratch rims!!).

Is it mandatory to carry chains?

PS: teckel, I'm heading up Saturday week, not this Saturday as you stated. Hopefully there'll still be sufficient white stuff for the kids!

Once again, cheers for the help

6. Snorkler

It is mandatory to carry chains and if you don't have them, you could end up with a hefty fine if they find out you don't (they have been known to do random checks).

It's going to be a rough one for you then, especially if there is snow, will probably be a few people going up. You might want to think about trying to stay somewhere on the way rather than try the trip from Geelong.

7. teckel

It's only mandatory to carry chains on days that it's snowing heavily or is likely to snow heavily. There's a snow system coming through this Friday and Saturday, and there seems to be another one to follow it late next week, so you should have snow, and hopefully chains won't be required on that day. One thing you may be able to do, is to car pool from Narbethong onwards - ie: park your car in Narby and pile into your friends' cars for the last part of the journey.

8. Charlie

Charlie Still the most depraved poster here Ski Pass: Gold

Oh dear, taking a 2 year old for a day trip to the snow, make sure you have LOTS of changes of clothing including socks, shoes and gloves/mittens, kids that age lose interest very quickly if they are cold and/or wet!

9. teckel

A lot of people do the day trip from Geelong. Pack the car the night before, and some even put the kids into the car still in their PJs and eat breakfast in the car when they wake fully. Had one such lot turn up at 8am last weekend!! A bit too keen, I reckon! [​IMG]

#9 teckel, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  10. Snorkler

Need well trained children to do long trips, going to be a big day for them as well, get off the mountain early so you can get in for a parma at an early seating, the children will be tired early. Might want to make a booking for the Parma as well.

#10 Snorkler, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  11. teckel

RS_4, It's not the railway museum, but the 'Alexandra Timber Tramway' (run entirely by volunteers). It's open on the 2nd & 4th Sundays each month, which happens to include your Sunday [​IMG] It includes a toy train which the kids (and you) can ride around in. http://www.alexandratramway.org.au/

#11 teckel, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  12. RS_4

RS_4 First Runs

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Very helpful.

It will be a big day for the kids but it is the first time that any of them will have seen snow so it will keep them amused (for a short time at least!).

Teckel, what is your association with LM? (if that isnt classified info, of course)

13. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

#13 currawong, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  14. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

And it's your one-stop-shop for all your LM needs. And a chat. And an Ice Cream! [​IMG]

#14 CarveMan, Aug 16, 2012
  15. RS_4

RS_4 First Runs

Teckel, we had a great weekend. All of the kids had a ball. Thanks again for all the above advice.

Good to put a face to the name aswell!

16. teckel

Pleased it went well [​IMG] Did I see you when you returned your gear? (OTOH, I have a bad of case of face blindness, so may well have not recognised you).

And it was very busy this weekend, especially with 2 staff phoning in sick yesterday and one sick today!

#16 teckel, Aug 26, 2012
  17. RS_4

RS_4 First Runs

Yeah, I returned the gear with my mates at about 11:30 earlier today. We were the guys joking about our names being patriotic Victorians....then again, like you said, it was a busy weekend.

I'll forgive you if you can't remember!!

18. teckel

Aaah, yes!! I remember now. [​IMG] But one of you wasn't patriotic! [​IMG]

#18 teckel, Aug 26, 2012