1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

LM's Webcams

Discussion in 'Lake Mountain' started by teckel, Jun 8, 2019.

1. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

What has happened to them?
    Where have they gone?

A new website today. Shows no live webcams! It shows trail photos(good) with no time and date stamps(bad). The live webcams of car parks and toboggan slopes - gone (terrible). The 360 cam is "coming soon" (who cares, but better than nothing in the absence of live webcams).

So I go to the ski.com webcams. The last of those is at 12:50 yesterday.
    @Richard, has LM pulled the plug on them?
    No trail reports since 3rd June! (shocking).

2. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

I'd say they have cut over to the new website, which is on a new host & ip address -- and the cameras can't push up to their old location.

And the real missing piece of the puzzle, is no one knows how to log-in to the cameras and reconfigure them.

3. djam

djam One of Us

Hi Richard,

You might need to update your feed for the Stirling cam's. There here.

#3 djam, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  4. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

I just look at the Ski trail Head camera. If there is no dirt /grass showing and there is snow accumulating in the vegetation at that spot then we have a Nordic ski day with a green light. The snow machine snow is not quite white like real snow is and it will be used to fill in the gaps lower down the hill near the trail head So snow accumulating in the bushes is a better guide for skiers.

#4 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  5. nezumi

nezumi One of Us

I'm perplexed by the apparent changes to the snowboarding area. Previously Lake Mountain has run a small terrain park with a magic carpet lift, but apparently this year that has been thrown out the window, with the "snowsports slope" only open to lesson participants?

6. teckel

That would be the one dated yesterday?

7. Richard

thanks

Had not noticed they were not updating - the way some cams are hosted they don't trigger the 'out of order' image because.. technical shit.

I reconciled all the cams were mapping with the correct images just last month too, obviously missed those.

8. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Like an ashtray on a motorcycle, like a packet of condoms in a Convent/Nunnery , like a sun roof on a submarine, Like a cruise liner ship ticket for use in Kazakhstan only...…. so too are the LM webcams ;-P.

#8 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  9. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Those poor wombats just got sick of pics and have gone right off....they have left the Mountain alltogether cos they got pissed off with the technical issues surrounding snow updates.
    Sam Kerr Sam Kerr....no technical difficulties here say those wombats!

#9 Ubiquitous Steve, Jun 19, 2019
  10. Mister Tee on XC Skis

https://lakemountainresort.panomax.com/

This camera shows enough snow has fallen for a rock hopper XC ski day tomorrow!. I am convinced it could be worth it!!
    https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/trail-conditions/

#10 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 19, 2019
  11. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Nice to see the guns firing at LM.

Mister Tee on XC Skis and teckel like this.
  12. teckel

@Richard, it seem that you have deleted LM from the Snowcams tab. It's not even showing as 'Snowcams offline'. Have you given up on them re-appearing?

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  13. Ubiquitous Steve

Yes the wombats got sick of running across in front of the cam and no amount of money thrust at their burrows will bring them back this season!

14. Richard

Yep. No response on whether they will return or not. I'd all but guarantee that no one knows how to log-in to the cameras and reconfigure them - it's possible that they can't find anyone to fix it either (at a sensible price).

The 360 cams don't provide a thumbnail and I can't embed them because they are pagespeed death (which equals SEO death)

I'll return Lake mountian with the one cam when I've built a way to deal with the 360 thumbnail problem.

In the meantime, the 360 cam is on the snow report page;

https://www.ski.com.au/reports/australia/vic/lakemtn/index.html

15. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM ….they could not run a bath, no grooming today , No clearing a ski trail of a fallen log , no web cams.....no idea. I will be back to XC ski there next month but they have 2 weeks to pull their fingers out. I have spoken!

16. Ubiquitous Steve

How far out did you ski...I gather it was totally unpacked?What were road conditions like.

17. Mister Tee on XC Skis

A full trip report is coming. I will eat some dinner and then share the whole saga with you all and post some photos.

Richard and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  18. Ubiquitous Steve

I cannot see that Lake Mt Management is providing any info on trail conditions or grooming etc.
    What is going on?Have the wombats taken management hostages or something as a protest?

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  19. teckel

Trail conditions are here. Click on the 'Trails' tab.

20. ranine

ranine First Runs

Not something you can do from your end, but their host can automate snipped images when enabled: Panomax 'panocut' feature seems to be part of their control panel.

Else, the raw panoramas are at
    URL format: https://panodata20.panomax.com/cams/1827/yyyy/mm/dd/hh-mm-00_default.jpg
    _default - 6125x800px
    _thumb - 574x75px
    Currently live 4.20am-5.20pm, 10min interval after 7am, 20min before.
    Missed images 404 and get their delayed time in the filename: eg: 20/06 7.50am was missed but came on at 7.56. Only saw one instance of that.​

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Ok I see the ski.com trail report ....the Lake Mt Page is a bit tricky?

22. Richard

tricky?? pls elaborate on that.

23. Richard

Cams with URL's that change with date and time stamp are a complete PIA and I have no way to automate the fetching of them (at the moment) unless they provide a feed - like this.

https://www.nzski.com/queenstown/th...ather-report/coronet-peak-latest-webcams-feed

I say 'at the moment' because increasingly there are more cams where the image url is date and time based so it's on my radar to get a process for scraping them built - but the thing is it needs to be a flexible process that I can just plug parameters in for multiple sites - there's no point having a unique script built for every other cam.

24. Ubiquitous Steve

Not to worry!

Team Bears have a solution at hand...
    Snow play activists report in at Teckels shop on their way back to Melb and give a graphic depiction of snow conditions.Teckel catches the communication on a go pro and then posts it on the Lake Mt Site.
    Ski Forum pay a small spotters fee to individuals and to Teckel.....simples !

25. Richard

Thumbnail problem resolved - now returned (but it's just the one cam page now)

https://www.ski.com.au/snowcams/index.html

Chaeron likes this.
  26. teckel

Thanks Richard. As you say, it doesn't rate with the fixed cams they used to have, and every other resort has. But that's not due to you, and what you've done is the best under the circumstances. Let's hope that the mountain restores its real cams.

27. Mister Tee on XC Skis

LM ,if they are not going to have web cameras for XC skiing then that is lame ! However if they give me a season pass I will go up there and take many photos ,having attempted to ski or rock hop all the trails and post them on this web site without delay.

28. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I emailed LM about the lack of web cams. I got this less than satisfactory reply.
    "
    Hello

Many thanks for the email and we have a live camera in the village area https://lakemountainresort.panomax.com/ and also this link on the website. https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/trail-conditions/

Also on this link https://www.lakemountainresort.com.au/trail-conditions/ you will see the daily static photos which the ski instructors take each morning at 8 am, and at a set number of location around the resorts ski trails each day.

As you will understand we are on generated power at the resort, and we only have power supply at the resort village area only, and it is not possible to install at this stage a live web camera out on the ski trails as we also only have limited Telstra 4G network coverage at the resort and in some areas on the ski trails no coverage at all, making it very difficult to install a camera.

We are very true to providing the most current ski trail photos, and as you can see at the moment we have no snow at all on the ski trails but have a great 400 m ski loop at the moment at the village area for cross country skiing.

I hope that this helps and do call or email at any time so I can explain the reason for the current webcam set up and static camera photos on the ski trails.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan Eason

Snowsports Manager

Lake Mountain Alpine Resort"