Local Sim card recommendations for ski travellers

Discussion in 'Passport' started by XTREMO, Jan 9, 2017.

1. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

2. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

3. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

4. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I purchased UK 3 sim off ebay prior.

20 quid top up and got 12gb of data and unlimited calls to UK mobile and land lines. if you can wrangle a UK international phone card (ie that you can call a UK land line to use) or put money on skype.

Was a godsend with all our dramas.

5. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

To reiterate a few earlier posts of mine - if you're on Vodafone in Oz with an eligible plan then the $5/day roaming might be your best option in a lot of places because it gives you calls to the country you're in plus calls back home. It covers Japan, NZ, pretty much all of Europe, the US and Canada. The full list is here.

Annitowa likes this.
  6. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

This is a really good shout and deserves highlighting. I don't know why I didn't get on it before but I picked up a PAYG THREE sim last time I was in the UK and it'll be my goto travel sim from now onwards. The beauty is their "feel at home" concept whereby you can use the sim in 42 countries, as though you were at "home" in the UK.

I used it in the US a few months back and it worked a treat. Unfortunatley Canada isn't on the list (at this stage) so it won't work there. Austria, France, Switz and Italy are all on the list so all the key Euro skiing destinations are covered.

A few things to note:

- the 12GB of data is 3G not 4G/LTE, but thats a small compromise for acceptable travel broadband at a great price.
    - you can only top up with a card tht is regitsered to a UK address. I struggle a bit from Germany because none of my cards are registered to UK addresses anymore. I need to use my sister's credit card to top up.

@Ozgirl - did they post the sim to you in Aus? Or did you get it sent to a friend in the UK? How did you do your top ups?

7. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Missed this thread earlier

We had great success with the La Poste sim as well. The folks in the post office even helped with setup and recharge (there can be quite a set of instructions to get right).

8. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hey,

Yeah it was great, however a few issues like you mentioned.

I got around the none UK credit card by buying top up vouchers via eBay too.

End yes they sent it to me here in oz

It was a bit of a headache figuring out how to get around the issues but once you do you do it easily.

Three also have any issue about being able to only top up 3 times before registering with them, and to do this you need a UK address. So not sure if my work around will work more than once.

9. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I used 3 too but registered it at a friends place in U.K.

10. Arsas

Arsas Active Member

piolet likes this.
  11. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

@Ozgirl Who were you buying the sim and top up vouchers from? An official THREE ebay account? An official reseller? Random people selling vouchers on eBay?

12. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I purchased it from here - Three Sim

In case that link doesn't work it was a three sim from this seller lenelectronics
    and i purchased top ups from www.mobiletopup.co.uk pay using Paypal.

Purchase the pound amount equivalent to the 'add on' you wish to purchase. you then call the three number and credit the voucher to you account. then before you make a call or use data you purchase the 'add on'

13. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Cool. Good info! It really is such a good sim. We even use them as backups here in Germany. Our local mobile plans are decent but max out at 4 gig per month. Once you've used 4 gig, it reduces you to dial up speed. = #heartattack. Now, if that happens, we swap in a THREE sim and it gets us out of trouble until the next billing cycle starts. Obv it means we can't make local calls/texts but data is the only thing that really matters.

14. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah - this is an issue but Skype helps with that! It was a god send when we realised our identities were stolen!! we had to buy skype credit but heaps cheap than an international call on your home mobile.

15. XTREMO

XTREMO Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

well, yes. Switched to using Skype for international calls in about 2007.

Ozgirl likes this.