1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Lodge accom cancelled - where to rebook?

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Snow Jester, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Snow Jester

Snow Jester Hard Yards

Hi everyone

Long-time reader (15 yearsish) first time posting (in at least 12!).

My partner and I are seasoned skiers, but we've never been to Hotham. We usually ski at Buller and Falls but want to branch out this year. We booked a budget-friendly lodge for a weekend in late July several months ago, and today they have let us know that they sadly won't be opening this season. Quite understandable, but disappointing nonetheless.

We're still keen to do the trip, but most afforable accomodation seems either not to be opening due to the restrictions, or is booked out as it's already mid-June. We are lodge-types who like to spend less on accomodation in order to make multiple trips across the season. Having never been to Hotham, and not familiar with the surrounding towns, we're not sure where to look.

These are the options that I can see:
    1. Pay a small fortune to stay on-mountain in an apartment or hotel-style room ($1100+ for the weekend from my preliminary search)
    2. Stay at Dinner Plain and save several hundred dollars, drive and park in the Hotham day car park (is that how most people get between DP and Hotham?)
    3. Stay off mountain and drive up each day - which towns should I look at? I've heard the Hotham road may make this a less desirable option than it is at Buller or Falls?

I'd appreciate the guidance and suggestions of you wise folk!

PS. We have Epic passes this year so not needing to wait until we can secure lift passes to push forward (phew).

2. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The drive from dinner plain to Hotham is pretty simple so I’d take that choice if you can’t find anything in Heights.

rowdyflat, Chaeron and currawong like this.
  3. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah, sorry to hear, but the club lodges are really struggling with how to deal with the COVID19 requirements for visitors. I know Trapdoor has had to restrict to members only with some further isolation restrictions and booking restrictions in terms of group sizes and locations. Problem is with shared living spaces, like kitchens, lounges, bathrooms etc ... :( feel for you but hopefully everything will be back by next year.

cqen2l and nezumi like this.
  4. Snow Jester

Snow Jester Hard Yards

Thanks Trappers and Budgiesmuggler for your replies, much appreciated!

I really do feel for the lodge, I can see they really tried, and it must be such a hard call to make.

I think we'll try to go with DP then, it sounds like driving between isn't much of a hassle.

Chaeron likes this.
  5. cqen2l

cqen2l Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

@trappers Eumarellah has laid out a comprehensive operating plan centred on a SLOPES document from NSW. SLOPES is the Perisher equivalent of HSA. Let me know by PM if you want details.

6. chriscross

chriscross One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Easy drive from DP (depending on conditions) but good luck finding affordable accommodation. Maybe a small apartment? I stayed at Triggerplant 2 last year. It was very comfortable.

7. Young Angus

Young Angus Addicted

Snowline Hotel in Harrietville is a good one, that road can get a bit dicey if the weather is bad but it's not the worst drive up and Harrietville is a beautiful place to stay and The Snowline is a great pub with a pool table, open fire, great staff and food. I rate it it's our first choice for off mountain and always well priced.