Question Lodging Options

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by shred_gnar, Jul 25, 2017.

1. shred_gnar

shred_gnar Hard Yards

Hey Guys,
    Never been to Perisher before and I'm struggle to find some good options for accommodation.
    Does Perisher not have many lodge options like Hotham and Falls? Finding a lot of very high priced options but nothing really wallet friendly.
    5 in our group. $500 max per night budget. 4th - 8th august
    Any recommendations or options appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Deanski

Deanski Hard Yards

Are you talking $500 per night for all 5 of you or $500 each per night??.
    Wallet friendly is not a term you will come across staying on snow in Perisher :)
    You wont get anything for 5 people at $500 per night in peak season I dont think. THe Eiger is awesome to stay at, lovely owners, outstanding service, but pricey. Any decent accom on snow is pricey.

Ted Harper likes this.
  3. shred_gnar

shred_gnar Hard Yards

Yes $500 per night for all us. I guess you're right, wallet friendly a poor choice of words

4. Ted Harper

Ted Harper One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Gee, $100/night on the hill in August might be tricky - most lodges can sell August out several times over at whatever price they like. Just supply and demand :(

Edit: I just checked our general public rates to give you a data point and we would be around $260/person/night in the first half of August and $200/person/night in the second half ($15/person/night more in each case on weekend nights) for dinner, bed and breakfast. That is including a 10% friend-of-shareholder discount. Having said all that (and without actually checking on the booking computer) I'm pretty sure we are pretty full, as most lodges in Smiggins and Perisher would be, through August. If you considered September instead our lodge for example would be $125/person/night (or $145/person/night on weekend nights) and I would assume other lodging in the hill would be similarly cheaper vs the August peak pricing.

#4 Ted Harper, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    IAB likes this.
  5. shred_gnar

shred_gnar Hard Yards

I should add the group is happy with a Jindabyne option

6. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Likewise in Jindy.

Start thinking $500/head.

7. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Ski Pass - Gold

Also look at East Jindy.

8. shred_gnar

shred_gnar Hard Yards

yikes

9. Deanski

Deanski Hard Yards

Ok so you wont be staying on snow for 100 per night. We have done jindy a lot. WE have rented full houses (might be an option if there is 5 of you and we have done the station. THe station is pretty much the cheapest option anywhere once you get the inclusions.....usually cash spending vouchers for dinners etc...used to get deals on lift tickets. Just jump onto the perisher website and click through to accommodation and it will have on snow and jindy accom including the station. THe station is also pretty good fun for a bunch of young people too....good bar, live music etc. IF you can afford it though, eat at the cook your won steak style restaurant, the buffet type food is shit. For full house rentals try the local jindy real estate agents thats where we used to do it. ALthough as Ted says, you may be struggling to find anywhere now with it being peak season almost and having the recent couple of good dumps of snow. Another option...try gumtree....search snow accom.....a few put there flats etc up there and also airbnb. But you are definitely looking at Jindabyne at best with your budget unfortunately...food and drinks on the mountain can be pretty scary too if you are on a budget. I love skiing there, but they know how to bend you over.

shred_gnar likes this.
  10. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

If thats the August long weekend you might really struggle .
    Was having a convo with the lady that manages our place , as I thought the costs for that weekend were a bit high and we would not get any bookings, but apparently it is the busiest 4 days of the whole season.

11. Deanski

Deanski Hard Yards

I think the other problem you might have is your stay dates....as in 4th til the 8th. Particularly in busy times they will only take week long and weekend bookings. Either SUnday through to Saturday for the 7 nights, SUnday through Friday for 5 nights or the obvious Friday Sat weekends. Your dates are for a weekend and a couple of days, which I dont like your chance on either.....sorry this all sounds like bad news for you. Even berridale at this time of year is fully booked on weekends.

12. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Bank Holiday and Lawyers Week at Thredbo :eek:LOL

13. Deanski

Deanski Hard Yards

Here is a search I did on Air bnb using check in date of the 4th and check out on the 9th. There are a couple within your budget and a couple just out. Problem is they may not be as close to the snow as you want because they dont give away the actual location until after booking. Might be worth contacting the owners through the website though?? https://www.airbnb.com.au/s/Jindaby...ests=5&checkin=2017-08-04&checkout=2017-08-09

14. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Ski Pass - Gold

Wait, there's a LWE in August now?

skull and skifree like this.
  15. Hemsley

Hemsley One of Us

You could try the ski rider . It's about 10k's out of Perisher. Quite good value for money. However it's not really an intimate lodge. But does have a shuttles to and fro.

P.s. To get into our lodge (up on the hill) in August we have to go into a ballet in Feb.. even though I've been going for over fourty years.
    However we always get in, but sometimes have to adjust the week and put in a first and second perference . Anyway a lot of the smaller lodges will be like this.

#15 Hemsley, Jul 25, 2017
  16. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Bank Holiday. A bit anachronistic but a few industries still pay lip service to it. Many awards have swapped it for an extra day at Christmas.

#16 Legs Akimbo, Jul 25, 2017
  17. Deanski

Deanski Hard Yards

Wow your lodge is tough.....fancy having to compete in a ballet just to get a room I hope you dont have to wear a tutu and dance the Swan Lake ;):D
    Ski rider is a good option though....stayed there a bit, not bad for a group really.

18. blutek

blutek One of Us

19. Ultra

Ultra One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Best option for large groups on snow at perisher is The Stables apartments, can sleep up to 10 people in the biggest one.
    A 5 person apartment will cost about $1100 per night. (sleeps 5 = $220 each per night). you pay per apartment per night, not the number of bodies, only down side, its self contained, so bring your own food to cook.. there is a top quality restaurant there, but its expensive. ski out, but walk back, its only about 150 mtrs. stayed there many times over the years, and they are good quality units as well.

other than that, i usually stay at Corroborree Lodge, and have everything catered for me.

#19 Ultra, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    IAB likes this.
  20. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow
    Ski Pass - Gold

Old thread I know but I'm trying to do some sums for September this year. Can you help out in any way @Ted Harper . Going by your comments here your lodge may be affordable. Send me a pm if you would like to discuss it further.

21. HSVGuy

HSVGuy Hard Yards

Can recommend SkiRider. It's not on the snow but you won't get much closer and the food is great.

22. Seafm

Ski Pass - Gold

Do they have daily pick up and drop off from Jindabyne? I won't have my own transport.

23. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

Ski Rider is on the Perisher Rd between Sawpit Creek and the Guthega turnoff. They run shuttles up to Perisher. Map

24. Seafm

Ski Pass - Gold

Without sounding like a smarty pants I already knew that. Drove past it heaps of times. My issue is getting from the bus drop off at Jindabyne.

25. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum
    Ski Pass - Gold

I apologise for trying to help.

26. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Snowy Mountain shuttles

Seafm likes this.
  27. Seafm

Ski Pass - Gold

Minor misunderstanding. No offence intended.