Question long stay insurance

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
There's a very high chance that MrsBoof and I will be heading to Italy for 2020, maybe longer. She will be studying, I'll be skiing and drinking wine.
We are required to show proof of insurance at the consulate when we apply for visa. We were told that that the insurance needs to clearly show that it is suitable for the Shengen zone.
Can anybody recommend an insurer that covers extended stays/expaat insurance eg 12months or more?
Would also love to hear any tips from folks who have moved to Europe for an extended period.
cheers.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
One of my life goals was to become a trailing spouse... still achievable!

Not sure what some of the women complain about, skiing and drinking wine whilst the other half works?

Perfection!

Reactions: BoofHead and Any

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane

Not sure what some of the women complain about, skiing and drinking wine whilst the other half works?

Perfection!
I’m a dude and more than happy to be a trailing spouse. Won’t hear any complaints from me.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Just a warning that most travel insurance I've seen have relatively short limits on each trip for their annual coverage plans. Many are 1 month maximum per trip, some are 6 months. True that World Nomads appears to allow the full 12 months tho.

Perfection!
finding a sugar momma who makes the big bucks while I go ski was one of the reasons why we'd go ski at Beaver Creek so often ;P

Reactions: Ozgirl and BoofHead

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
There's a very high chance that MrsBoof and I will be heading to Italy for 2020, maybe longer. She will be studying, I'll be skiing and drinking wine.
We are required to show proof of insurance at the consulate when we apply for visa. We were told that that the insurance needs to clearly show that it is suitable for the Shengen zone.
Can anybody recommend an insurer that covers extended stays/expaat insurance eg 12months or more?
Would also love to hear any tips from folks who have moved to Europe for an extended period.
cheers.
I have nothing useful to add but you are a bastard.

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
As it turns out, it’s international health insurance rather than travel insurance. Designed for expats, the consulate suggested so i’ll check them out.

Reactions: climberman
When we moved to Vancouver, we took an initial 12 month Worldwide Policy with Fastcover and then added a Snow Sports pack. Towards the end of the first 12 months, we just emailed them and extended the policy for a further 12 months. I think 24 months might have been the max term (we came home 23 months after arrival - in fact today is tha day we arrived back in Melbourne last year) It was pretty comprehensive - standard exclusions apply. Kids also had BC Health insurance as they were students.

We both did the skiing, hiking, drinking wine option for the best part of two years. :D

Paying for it now with a new start up :eek:

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
MrsBoof tells me that the Italian consulate wants to see international health insurance that clearly specifies Schengen Repatriation Alive on the documentation.
I guess I’ll worry about it if she gets the gig. If she doesn’t get the scholarship we will just for for a 3 month ski trip.
First world problems.

Reactions: Ozgirl

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
MrsBoof tells me that the Italian consulate wants to see international health insurance that clearly specifies Schengen Repatriation Alive on the documentation.
I guess I’ll worry about it if she gets the gig. If she doesn’t get the scholarship we will just for for a 3 month ski trip.
First world problems.
Look into Bupa.

Reactions: BoofHead

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
First world problems.
When you want a change of company, sing out, I'll be straight over ;)

Pink

One of Us
Mar 25, 2014
Australia and Italy have a reciprocal health care agreement. Why do they care about the rest of the Schengen zone? Way too thorough! But anyway, good to have health care sorted for the rest of the Alps (with off piste and mountain rescue cover a must of course) if you’re to be a man of leisure. Jealous much. Enjoy!

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
Still in limbo re: my trailing spouse status but I am wondering why the proof of private insurance is required given the free medical. The Consulate has said we must have it. Steep learning curve.

BoofHead

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Aug 8, 2007
Brisbane
Australia and Italy have a reciprocal health care agreement. Why do they care about the rest of the Schengen zone? Way too thorough! But anyway, good to have health care sorted for the rest of the Alps (with off piste and mountain rescue cover a must of course) if you’re to be a man of leisure. Jealous much. Enjoy!
Do the Italians charge fees for a rescue?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass