Long-term accommodation??

kirbyem

First Runs
Jan 1, 2022
Hi! What are the chances of finding furnished accommodation for between 3 - 6 months over the winter season for a family of 4 and a dog? Any tips on where to look?
It's on my bucket list to do a season and I think this might be my last chance - my kids are hitting high school in 2023 and I'll have 7 long years to wait if I do it when they're finished. I'm moving heaven and earth to make it happen!

EDIT: We're thinking Jindabyne area but open to anything that's a reasonable commute, And in terms of dates we could get there as soon as 4 April, but happy to wait until the June long weekend if that's when the availability starts. If it's 4 April we'd be looking for a longer term rental so that we're there for the full ski season.

Last edited:

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Whole area has a huge rental house crisis. Especially during winter.

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
NSW: You shouldn't have any dramas finding accommodation. What you are willing to pay is another thing . . . . .
I'd suggest you call a real estate or two in Jindy to get a feel?
An alternative might be a large property owner with a second house that isn't too keen on short term rentals with strangers coming and going all the time (despite the financial incentive) and would be happy to make some coin over winter? How to find such people ? ? ? Facebook perhaps?
Nice goal for family though, so good luck!

Reactions: kirbyem

kirbyem

First Runs
Jan 1, 2022
You could consider Berridale. As an alternative.
However I'd say pretty much slim to zero chance.
Argh you're not the first who's said it's unlikely unfortunately! Thanks I'll definitely look into Berridale. Crossing fingers and toes something comes up

kirbyem

First Runs
Jan 1, 2022
NSW: You shouldn't have any dramas finding accommodation. What you are willing to pay is another thing . . . . .
I'd suggest you call a real estate or two in Jindy to get a feel?
An alternative might be a large property owner with a second house that isn't too keen on short term rentals with strangers coming and going all the time (despite the financial incentive) and would be happy to make some coin over winter? How to find such people ? ? ? Facebook perhaps?
Nice goal for family though, so good luck!
Great suggestions thanks! I've got one agent lined up already, but will start phoning around next week. I love the idea of finding a large property owner with a 2nd property but you're right, how do I find them!? Hopefully one of them might see this post ;)

Reactions: Jacko4650

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Join the various Jindy facebook groups. Properties pop up on a regular basis.

Decide where you would live - how far out from Jindy, and how much you want to pay, and what dates. Post in the groups.

Put more info up here. Some of us have contacts who let privately for the winter.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Re school, JCS has a lot if kids come done for winter.

Quite a few Sydney orivate schools have winter campusses f do own here. Some people get a 3 monthe program from achool and effectively fo distance Ed.

kirbyem

First Runs
Jan 1, 2022
Join the various Jindy facebook groups. Properties pop up on a regular basis.

Decide where you would live - how far out from Jindy, and how much you want to pay, and what dates. Post in the groups.

Put more info up here. Some of us have contacts who let privately for the winter.
Thank you! Will try and update my original post

kirbyem

First Runs
Jan 1, 2022
Re school, JCS has a lot if kids come done for winter.

Quite a few Sydney orivate schools have winter campusses f do own here. Some people get a 3 monthe program from achool and effectively fo distance Ed.
Ah I thought they might! I have emailed them but not expecting to hear back any time soon. I'm thinking of doing Distance Ed so we can all ski in the mornings and study/work in the afternoons. That's what the kids are hoping for anyway haha!

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
In past years the real estate agents that manage seasonal rentals in Jindabyne started taking applications for winter leases (16 weeks) in February..

But it wouldn't hurt to start calling them next week.

Ray White do a few, but I think the main one is the agency in Nugget's Crossing.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Ah I thought they might! I have emailed them but not expecting to hear back any time soon. I'm thinking of doing Distance Ed so we can all ski in the mornings and study/work in the afternoons. That's what the kids are hoping for anyway haha!
JCS is pretty accomodating as the have lots of seasonal kids who are athletes.

Can be tricky yo get approved for distance ed but explore that option.

Also talkt to current school about being given a program from them.

kirbyem

First Runs
Jan 1, 2022
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update on my original post. A wonderful person on this forum messaged me, and I’m happy to report we’re renting a gorgeous pet-friendly home in Kalkite through him for just short of 6 months over the winter season. I’m so grateful for this forum, and look forward to meeting some of you on the slopes soon!

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Hi everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update on my original post. A wonderful person on this forum messaged me, and I’m happy to report we’re renting a gorgeous pet-friendly home in Kalkite through him for just short of 6 months over the winter season. I’m so grateful for this forum, and look forward to meeting some of you on the slopes soon!
Should get a decent coffee next door too ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nidecker and Donza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass