1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at working at Perisher (or similar) 2016 snow season

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Jengray89, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Jengray89

Jengray89 First Runs

Hi guys,

My name is Jen and I'm 26 years old. I am potentially looking into working a snow season down at perisher or anywhere else in that region. I have worked in childcare for over 7 years and would be applying to work in the child minding area. I have a few questions that I wanted to ask that will help me make my decision.
    1. Does anyone know what the pay is like for a childcare job down there?
    2. Where is the best place for accommodation and roughly how much is it? (I'm not much of a partner either)
    3. Which is better, having a car to get around or not bother?
    4. Are there many people my age that work down there or is it mainly younger adults?
    5. How long is the snow season for?
    I have almost no snow experience so any advice about anything would be a big help

2. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

1 - no idea.

2 - staff accom.

3 - car. helmet.

4 - all ages.

5 - 8-12wks.

6 - get ambo cover.

Jengray89 likes this.
  3. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

child care is award rate if you're working in a properly regulated child care facility
    if it's not, prob best not to work there

4. Jengray89

Jengray89 First Runs

Yeah I wasn't sure if the pay would be different to what I get now. Different job plus different state. And I've heard the pay in snow jobs isn't that good (depending on what u do obviously)

5. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

There is a nsw ski industry award. If it doesn't cover childcare, then your normal award would apply. Worth checking because ski award is often less.

There is a big childcare in Jindy for year round work. Thredbo run all year too.

Thredbo is better. In every way. Then Lake Crackenback. Then Jindy. Then Charlottes Pass. Then Selwyn.

Then Perisher.

telecrag, Brett Hilgers and Bato like this.
  6. Bato

Bato One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I second that Thredbo is a much better place to work, on top of the ambo cover, go all out and get private health, blowing your knee out and relying on medicare can leave u in limbo for a while. Take a car, public transport is non existent and relying on other people sucks. Staff accom is a lottery, could get a good group of people or end up with god knows what.

7. Cherry Ripe

Cherry Ripe A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I worked in the main ski school office at Perisher 15 years ago, right next to the kid's club. Pay was not a lot back then, not sure what it would be now but don't go for the money.

Staff accom will be in Jindy, the standard ranges considerably.

I had a car, but a lot of staff didn't, you can pretty much hook up with co-workers or roomies for lifts up the mountain. But if you have a car you will make lots of friends who need rides.

You would be on the older end of the age range, most of the people I worked with were 20-22.

I worked from the July school holidays to the end of September, but it depends what job you do.

If you have almost no ski experience then jobs in the kid's club would be limited, but I think they do have a creche which wouldn't involve any skiing.