Looking for AT gear

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by PK Sawd, Sep 13, 2017.

1. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

No I have not turned to the Dark Side though I may be acting as an agent for it! I have a ridiculously keen mate of athletic, medium build who is wanting to slide backcountry with a reasonably minimal outlay in the first instance. I've suggested he might want to consider a basic AT setup. So I wanted to ask if anyone around here is looking to offload an earlier generation of said setup and would mind sending me a PM to discuss?

Failing that, I can probably help him choose a suitable secondhand Alpine ski to do the job but the binding is the bit that probably needs to be got right. So any suggestions/advice are gratefully received. What marketplaces would you trawl for instance?

I could have told him to learn to Tele but it is more in my interest to get him capably joining me where I want to go than converting him to the faithful. I never thought I would see myself writing that......

skifree likes this.
  2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Has he got boots?

3. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

4. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Just make sure he gets Tech compatible ones, so he can go to tech bindings even if he doesn't start there. You

5. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

its ok @PK Sawd , i got myself some 2nd hand AT skis too (from the gear swap section on here) this year to play with around the resort. I went non tech low tech so i can just hire boots for a bit when i want or when the kids are. I've only used them once but when things get really chopped up and sketchy on exits they were an improvement on sketching the same on teles. Rhythm sports in cooma were selling off their ex-hire AT gear a couple of months ago but they may be all gorn. All the tech compatible AT boots i was looking at were $1000 retail.

6. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Cheers. Honestly, they are not for me OK!!! I had a look at the tech compatible thing. I may be labouring under a misapprehension but can you use a resort style ski boot in an AT binding or does the rockering on the AT boots demand a different config at the front binding post? I get that this would not have a cuff locking/release mechanism to allow pivoting but perhaps just undoing the boot buckles would allow for some movement in that regard? Bear in mind that this is an attempt to get a bloke going infrequently in Tassie conditions with bare minimum cost so all compromises are considered!

7. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

I got the low tech Fritschi Freeride bindings which are totally fine with DH boots from a hire shop. Total cost $175 skis n bindings + whatever the hire boots cost / day. And yes, a bit of old school unbuckling worked for me.

Of course a lighter rig, funky bindings, better boots etc would be great, but hey i'd spend that $2500 on tele gear first! :)

8. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I must say it's been a shock looking at prices. My last purchase was over 12 years ago and back then I could claim it on tax or occasionally work for gear in lieu of cash payment. I'm still using the secondhand T1s I bought from the legendary Jodie who was known to a few Backcountry folks in here back in the day.

9. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yah, tx Pro are $1K retail here now. I may take up alpine.

10. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

It might be cheaper to hunt up some telemark gear.

What size boot again?

11. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

43, but the guy has an obscenely broad forefoot. It causes him all sorts of sizing issues. He runs in Altras as a consequence. @mr will know about that!

I was thinking about the Tele boot option and I was going to see how he fitted in the shell of my old T2s. Maybe he could get the neoprene liner ground down a touch. If that worked tolerably I have some old K2 tele skis of 97 vintage I can chuck his way to get him going. I'll check it out. Thanks guys.

12. skifree

My size 26 teleboot & svenfitliner (very thin about the foot so maximises use of shell volume) might work.

They are here in Jindy.:)

13. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'll be over shortly..........or perhaps not!!! Surely you are planning another Tassie trip soon enough aren't you?!

14. skifree

Never soon enough.

PK Sawd likes this.
  15. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Damn, I'd be in Jindy in a heartbeat if I didn't have a heap of other stuff to do. The thought of a couple of weeks of lazy touring with Jindy as a base is mighty pleasant. It would be almost long enough to learn how to do it passably well again perhaps. I know we've spoken about it before. I really should make a plan a few months out and sound you out.

skifree likes this.
  16. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Funnily enough i run in altras, but the tech compatible scarpa tx's i have (i only paid $999 @telecrag) fit my broad feet well.

Scarpa are known for a narrow last and their hiking boots and runners are no good to me, but for some reason the ski boots fit. Weird eh.

Chaeron and PK Sawd like this.
  17. Chaeron

Chaeron Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Scarpa ski boots accomodate a wider foot and higher instep than most. Nordicas are also pretty wide.

18. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I have a pair of Scarpa T2 size 43 which I don't use and would sell for $50 plus postage. I would suggest they need a new liner but otherwise in good condition. Targa G3 cable bindings work well with this boot and I bought them second hand cheap and in good condition. Skis I bought new from Rhythm in Cooma on end of winter sale. I think they were the previous year model as well. Good time to pick up cheap gear now.

PK Sawd likes this.
  19. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Thanks, I've forwarded that. He tried my size 42 pair on and reckons 43 to possibly 44 might be the go. I'll see what he comes back with. Cheers.

20. PK Sawd

PK Sawd Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Mate takes a 45 in Scarpa walking boots. That may in part be due to having very broad forefeet. If the fitting is wider on the Scarpa ski boots then perhaps a 44 "might" work. 43 doesn't seem to be in the park unfortunately but thanks.

21. ecowain

ecowain Dedicated Member

I have a pair of Dynafit tlt5 AT boots in size 27.5. I normally wear 44 shoes. However, I'm getting rid of them because they are too narrow, so they probably won't work for him.

$100, pickup only Blue Mtns.

PK Sawd likes this.
  22. rols

rols Active Member

I can help you with some shell punching if the width fit becomes a problem.

PK Sawd likes this.