1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Looking for recommendations for 2019 ski trip

Discussion in 'Europe' started by alexmok, Jan 7, 2018.

1. alexmok

alexmok Hard Yards

Hi all,

Will be in London over 2018 Christmas and was thinking of making a trip over to Europe somewhere to ski with the GF. Currently doing season in Japan. Would classify myself as advanced and partner as intermediate. No real budget or limitations atm just wanting any ideas or recommendations for where to go for a week or two after Christmas.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. alexmok

alexmok Hard Yards

I know im sorry.. I guess I was more asking for people's personal experiences in different European resorts and the pros and cons with each mountain. Ive only ever skied in Australia and Japan so skiing Europe is a whole new world which i have little idea about

3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Try browsing a few of the other recent Europe threads - plenty of experiences discussed there.

4. driz

driz Hard Yards

Bookings are usually weekly from a Saturday or Sunday. During busy weeks, it can be difficult or overpriced to get accommodation outside of these ranges. If you go after Christmas, you're probably looking at new years week, which is one of the most expensive and most crowded. If you can delay to start on the 5th of Jan you'll probably have a nicer time.

Kletterer, alexmok and Zimbooo like this.
  5. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator

2nd week of new year was very quiet here ( Saalbach/Hinterglemm) Busier this week but still down on average- very possibly due to such good snow in Dec. Conditions generaly dictate availability but it generaly gets busier from mid Jan onwards. Next week is Dutch week here so will be mostly booked out.

6. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

why not Zermatt?
    it’s hard to beat the Matterhorn for spectacle, the Gornergratbahn is a great train, Italy is just over the hill and there’s some skiing too

7. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

I'd be tempted to say hang fire until close to when you want to go - assess conditions and make your move to the best looking snow. Might pay a little more for flights etc, but you could get significant benefit for the quality of skiing.

8. LDJ

LDJ One of Us

European skiing from UK is awesome. Aim for first week of January after new Year (5th as Driz said). Don't book anywhere. Wait until 1-2 weeks before you go. Then see where has the best snow (France, Italy, Austria etc) and book a last minute deal via tour operator websites or igluski or similar. You will get flights, catered chalet, food/wine, transfers etc included for a fraction of the price of a holiday in Japan or Aus. I got catered chalet in Val D all-in for $600 per person for a week in 2016 down from over $950. I'm from London originally but live in BNE now. It's still cheaper for me to fly back to Europe and do this than a week on-snow in Perisher. If you want Luxury that's easy to find they often discount top-end places the most. I have skied 20-30 European resorts and then all have + & -. It really depends want you want i.e. typically French, nightlife or huge ski area or lots of accessible offpiste. When you know hit me up and can recommend options but just don't book anything as there are only 2 of you.

Kimski and XTREMO like this.