1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Looking for secondhand skis

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NoSkillWill, Jun 10, 2019.

1. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Hey just looking to pick up my first pair of skis.

Couldn’t find anything on gumtree and thought this might be a good place to look. At least any other places online or in Melbourne I should look at.

I’m inter/advanced 200cm, 100kg. Would love some twin tips as practicing switch. I’m going to japan Next year also. I think I’d be looking for 190s. Price range would ideally be $200-$300

Any advice or offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Silver

E bay ,op shops etc. once you know what you want then seek and ye shall find it. I have new skis and 2nd hand skis( the rock hoppers!). New skis are better all round but they cost more.
    Often you will have to purchase new bindings separately to match your own boots. Renting boots is a false economy and a bad idea if you are going to ski often and progress. Many other threads on this forum will attest to this .
    If you are going to buy some cheap 2nd hand skis be sure that they will last at least one season and cost a 1/3 of the price of new bindings that you'll be obliged to purchase and fit onto the second-hand skis.

If you look around many ski shops you can find new skis that are old shop stock that have been sitting around like a frump at a blue light disco ;-P and are heavily discounted to make way for new season stock. The design might be 3 years old and the edges might be a bit rusty and so on but basically they are new and with a bit of TLC and new bindings, they will track better and be a better investment.

#2 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Check the hire shops in Jindabyne or wherever you go. Monster in Jindabyne regularly has ex-rentals for sale out the front. That's where I got mine a few years ago. Cost a bit more than $200 though...

4. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

The longer, bigger, the more advanced the ski in my experience the easier it is to get a killer second hand deal.

BoofHead likes this.
  5. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

That’s been my experience.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Bright is typically where I stay so I'll have a look around next time I am in town. I'm not crazy about the idea of spending a lot on skis as I really don't know what will suit me best and I am dropping a large chunk of change on boots already. Having said that spending $300 on skis equates to around 10 days of rentals and I plan to spend more time on them than that this season.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I spent quite a bit on my first ski set up at the end of 2017 and skied so much last season i.e. 20 days on skis or so ?? that I had recouped the value of the whole caboodle very quickly. Ray's in Myrtleford have some new skis on sale at cut prices too.

#7 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    NoSkillWill likes this.
  8. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

9. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

$200-300 is probably not going to do it. Double it and you're sweet.

10. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

Just thought I'd ask a similar question:

Situation
    My family and I are beginner skiers, and the kids and I are more confident than we should be (my wife not so much). We won't buy skis for this season, but might look at a season pass for next year. I simply don't have the money for new skis but was wondering if people could recommend a solid 'all-round' ski brand that I could look out for on the second hand market? I suppose something that we could grow into a bit. We'll be skiing at the cheapest time of the year (if I don't buy one of those epic pass type things) so that means June (depending on whether it's possible) and September skiing with probably a school holidays trip to Selwyn.

Questions
    Lots of skis come up on gumtree all the time, no idea what to look for. Is there a good common brand and model I should look out for?
    What is the toyota of skis? (I love driving an old toyota because it doesn't matter if you hit the side kerb or scrape the car in parking lots and they barely need servicing and they also come with intrinsic security because no one wants to drive them, yet they drive well enough and are good for long car trips. That might help you with what sort of skis I'd like).
    And the general rule of ski size is between chin and top of head, right?
    My wife and I are about 179cms, kids are shorter. Any technical details to skis I should take particular note of?
    I have big feet (size 13) and weigh around 90kgs, does that change what I should be looking for at all?
    Anything to look out for in terms of the condition of skis which might look good but aren't?
    Any brands to definitely avoid?
    Or is trying to buy second hand a waste of time and we're just better off with the rental stuff?

Thanks for your advice.

11. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Did you look in the Snow / Gear Swap forum here?

Mister Tee on XC Skis likes this.
  12. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Whoa! Lots to comment on here.

In short, it's entirely possible to find a terrific pair of used skis at a great price. The trick is to find the correct used skis for your purpose. Nobody really makes a bad ski anymore, although there are a handful of fringe brands that I'd hesitate to buy. There's a lot to consider in working out whether a pair of skis is suitable for your needs. Rather than hijacking this thread PM me and I'll work through the considerations with you.

skifree likes this.
  13. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If you live in Bris PM me.

14. Mister Tee on XC Skis

I have got two pairs of XC skis that were /are 2nd hand. One pair I acquired from
    forum member @mr.
    They are still good classic track XC skis. I found another pair that are my rock hoppers. They don't have much camber/spring left in them so I do not care if they become marked or scratched.
    The other two pairs of BC XC skis were new when I bought them . No Regrets. Fischer and Madshus make good skis.
    Rental gear can be good or just ready for the bin. It depends from whom you rent and what you are renting.

15. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

On gumtree there are lots of Salomon going pretty cheap. I think we mainly hired skis that looked like these last years. Are they rubbish? Just hard to know what to look for in the details of these skis. I'm good at buying bikes, surfboards, furniture, cars, technology. Got absolutely no clue with skis. Here are some examples:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bowral/snow-sports/salomon-ladies-skis/1225022624

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lake-haven/snow-sports/salomon-snow-skis-verse-7/1224953135

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rankin-park/snow-sports/snow-ski-s-volkl-gamma/1224934823

16. Noah

Noah Hard Yards

In Sydney.

17. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

Try facebook marketplace and there's a few buy/swap/sell pages as well which might have something.
    eg. There's a pair of volkl twin tips in 186cm for 400 atm and a new pair of Line Mordecai Skis 186cm for 450 atm.

It's pretty hit and miss, although you can pick up a bargain if you're in the right place at the right time.

18. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

On this point I'd like to add, check the boot size of the seller vs you. If the ski is not an ex rental, the binding has much less adjustment allowance for different boot sizes, sometimes requiring a remount. And even if it is within physical fit the forward pressure might not be ideal.

I bought two pairs and had a ski shop remount one and adjust the other. For the adjusted pair he told me it's on the verge of tolerance so would take more effort to step into.

19. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Hi there,

Not sure if anyone is still following this one but I was looking for some updates and info. Sorry for the essay.

I picked up a cheap pair of second hand skis early in the season, basically to avoid renting. 2015 K2 Bolts, 179cm and 72 waist. They have been good for my progression on the groomers, I'm getting the hang of carving them well, but they have been rubbish in soft snow and are obviously not what I would want to take to Japan.

I demoed a pair of Rossignol Sky 7's (180cm, 98 underfoot) over the weekend to get a feel for a wider ski. Obviously a huge jump up in waist. Really noticed the difference in float over the weekend even with only a 20cm top up. Super playful and manoeuvrable, although i didn't feel confident taking it into the trees and risk damaging in marginal cover. I was able to get up on the edge a bit but it was tough jumping up to such a wider ski for the first time. This ski would be great for Japan but I'm not sure how well it lines up with the average snow Aussie conditions. I think in icier conditions I would really struggle to hold an edge.

I'd love to get some input on what I see as my options:

1. The draw of the sky 7's is the price. I demoed the 2019 set which they are selling ex demo for $600 however, they are selling the 2018 pair (seemed in very good condition) for a measly $230. Minus the $70 I already paid for demo that's $160.
    2. Another option is for me to demo a pair of the Kendo 88's. They are offering these ex demo for $450 but I think they only have the 177s. They have been on my shortlist of skis to buy. These seem to line up with average Aussie conditions a bit better but would they be suitable for my time in Japan at 177cm, 88 underfoot? They also have a 180cm Blizz Brahma for $450 but I think they will be more piste oriented than I want.
    3. I have been planning to hold off until I get to Japan to buy a pair of skis. I've been doing a fair bit of research on what I like to ski and think I'd be able to find something appropriate. Ideally I'd like something in the range of 90-95 underfoot and 183ish cm. Would I be able to find the skis I am familiar with in Japan? Plenty of risks here that I am not happy about though. Might not find something I like, won't get to demo them, wont get to practice on them before heading over.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Cheers

20. Alfred14

Alfred14 Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

Pretty sure the 2018 and 2019 sky 7's are the exact same ski just a different top sheet.

21. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Yeah they are. It’s why I’m pretty interested. For skis and bindings it’s a tough price to beat.

22. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

At 200cm and a 100kg the 180 Sky 7 might be a bit on the shortish and softish side?

BoofHead likes this.
  23. kylep

kylep Cage rattler Ski Pass: Gold

It sounds like you’re not scared of doing some buying and selling. At $160 I reckon you should jump on and give it a go. Worst case you might be able to sell for what 100 bucks? Best case you really love them. At the least it might give you something to take to Japan and hope is right, give you a chance to find something better or demo on particular fresh days

24. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

They're too short for you. Don't waste your money. Find the right size ski.

What's the point in buying the wrong size ski because the price is good. Makes no sense at all.

You may struggle to find ex demo in 190 but if you can find them they would be the right ski for you.

Chaeron, Telemark Phat and BoofHead like this.
  25. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Yeah I understand. My thinking was that the extra width would compensate for the shorter length.

Finding something in the right length to try has really been my issue. I think if seen a 182cm ski for demo once and even when I have looked at different skis online skis over 183 are rare. This is the biggest concern I have about waiting until I am in Japan to pick up a set of skis.

How would the Volkl Kendo 88 at 184cm hold up for me? Particuarly in Japan. At the moment they are probably at the top of my list of skis I like.

26. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

NO.

It would be a totally redundant exercise taking an 88mm ski to Japan. You'd ski off piste, sink and stop pretty much with 88 underfoot 184cm rockered ski.

You state that your an inter/advanced skier. Which to me suggests, you're capable on piste to ski anything while your trying to improve your on piste technique and working on increasing your off piste time. Which would be the usual for that level. Minimum 100mm underfoot for Japan, 110mm even better. Otherwise you're not going to get the off piste performance you need to improve or make it easier to improve.

You're a big unit, you need a ski to support your height and weight. 190cm 100mm would allow you to get by in Japan and ski in Australia. If it's more specific to Japan go to 110mm.

kylep and Chaeron like this.
  27. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Ok.

This is where I am at. Confident in turning down any run (at Falls, Hotham or Buller) and I'll be able to get to the bottom, sometimes more tired.

Ok, So based on that what would be some more sufficient skis? I like the look of the Nordica Soul rider, although that's a bit smaller. Would I be able to find something that size in Japan? How much safer am I trying to get something on sale here instead?

28. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Finding longer skis in Japan is a little more difficult. There's a whole host of skis which would suit, it's just a case of your budget and if on sale or ex demo is what you want because that's limiting your options.

Depending on where you live. Ring the bigger shops that do demo skis like Rhythm and ask if they have any ex demo 100mm @190cm. I'm sure you'll find something. Don't rely on the interwebby, ring them and ask.