1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Looking for secondhand skis

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NoSkillWill, Jun 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Hey just looking to pick up my first pair of skis.

Couldn’t find anything on gumtree and thought this might be a good place to look. At least any other places online or in Melbourne I should look at.

I’m inter/advanced 200cm, 100kg. Would love some twin tips as practicing switch. I’m going to japan Next year also. I think I’d be looking for 190s. Price range would ideally be $200-$300

Any advice or offer would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

E bay ,op shops etc. once you know what you want then seek and ye shall find it. I have new skis and 2nd hand skis( the rock hoppers!). New skis are better all round but they cost more.
    Often you will have to purchase new bindings separately to match your own boots. Renting boots is a false economy and a bad idea if you are going to ski often and progress. Many other threads on this forum will attest to this .
    If you are going to buy some cheap 2nd hand skis be sure that they will last at least one season and cost a 1/3 of the price of new bindings that you'll be obliged to purchase and fit onto the second-hand skis.

If you look around many ski shops you can find new skis that are old shop stock that have been sitting around like a frump at a blue light disco ;-P and are heavily discounted to make way for new season stock. The design might be 3 years old and the edges might be a bit rusty and so on but basically they are new and with a bit of TLC and new bindings, they will track better and be a better investment.

#2 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Check the hire shops in Jindabyne or wherever you go. Monster in Jindabyne regularly has ex-rentals for sale out the front. That's where I got mine a few years ago. Cost a bit more than $200 though...

4. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

The longer, bigger, the more advanced the ski in my experience the easier it is to get a killer second hand deal.

BoofHead likes this.
  5. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

That’s been my experience.

Chaeron likes this.
  6. NoSkillWill

NoSkillWill Hard Yards

Bright is typically where I stay so I'll have a look around next time I am in town. I'm not crazy about the idea of spending a lot on skis as I really don't know what will suit me best and I am dropping a large chunk of change on boots already. Having said that spending $300 on skis equates to around 10 days of rentals and I plan to spend more time on them than that this season.

7. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I spent quite a bit on my first ski set up at the end of 2017 and skied so much last season i.e. 20 days on skis or so ?? that I had recouped the value of the whole caboodle very quickly. Ray's in Myrtleford have some new skis on sale at cut prices too.

#7 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    NoSkillWill likes this.
  8. azzski

azzski Should know better Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

9. Dumphfish

Dumphfish Hard Yards

$200-300 is probably not going to do it. Double it and you're sweet.