1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Use the Force filters, Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

TUTORIAL: How to post in Gear Swap so it sells

Wanted Looking for telescopic stocks for touring

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by Laska Goralska, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

Hi all,

Looking to see if anyone’s keen to unload any decent adjustable touring stocks. Looking for something starting at 115cm and adjusting up from there.

2. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

The ones with long grips may be better. Have adjustable poles but i could never be bothered adjusting them. Of limited use if you are doing steep ups. May be useful for long flatish terrain.

3. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

Cheers SB, always happy to take advice from those in the know. Might expand my search to look for longer grips too.

4. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Wrap duct tape around the pole at a suitable spot below the grip to the diameter of the grip.

Gives you a functionally short pole when using that as the alternative grip, and a always handy supply of duct tape as well!

Laska Goralska and Snow Blowey like this.
  5. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

how decent is decent?

i moved up to black crows adjustables (very rock n roll) and have some swix twisties lying around.....some with tent pegs for tips that broke off, some without....ill have a look in the cupboard tonight, planning on flogging some gear n skis

6. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

The Macguyver-style duct tape option not a bad one.

If I were to do that, or just grab longer stocks with longer grips, would it not give them a whole different feel in the hand though, given the additional length beyond the point of contact with the hand?

7. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

8. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

I have telescopic poles myself, and for long climbs or when skating I make them long - like 145cm or so long.
    I'm quite short, so I use 115cm going down hill.
    The duct tape grip below the main grip is good for traversing across very steep sidehills. I hold the uphill pole lower down, and then don't have to telescope it down to tiny - especially usefull if its just a short section (which the very steep bits often are)

9. rowdyflat

rowdyflat Addicted

I am not sure how experienced any of the givers of advice above really are but adjustable poles are really handy short for downhill , a bit longer for powder , longer for climbing or skating.

10. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Use the same grip tape as is made for ice axes- DMM Grippy or Petzl griptape.

11. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us

That seems like good advice. Might take the middle road and grab adjustables and whack some petzl tape belwo the handles as suggested to save farting about with adjustments for steep traverses.