1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

loved every minute of it (even when I was a sook)

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by cyclehoneymw, Aug 10, 2013.

1. cyclehoneymw

cyclehoneymw First Runs

Just got back home to perth last night. Don't want to be here I left my heart in Thredbo.

Arrived Sunday arvo 4th hired rav 4 from kings cross for the trip. I had the four day first timer lesson package and I had an amazing instructor. Annabell was the right mix of pushy and encouraging for me. I thought I would start with snowboarding and then try skiing but stayed with board. What a challenge I am afraid of heights and my own limitations but even though I didn't get any higher than Friday flats I am so stoked. My butt may never recover and I didn't exactly master getting off the lift in a dignified manner every time. (Only managed to not fall about 5 time sorry if you were in chair behind me)

We stayed at alpenhorn lodge and the thai food there is delicious. We also had pizza in the village which was pretty amazing too .

So much I want to gush about but on mobile is a little hard. . Oh just wondering if anyone would know why on Thursday 8th august there were 14 cops with a sniffer dog that came into the pub from the balcony side. We went out to see if we could see the fireworks from Friday flat and walked right into them going in. We then went to pizza and had dinner and they were up and down the front area for about another 40 mins. Is there a problem with drugs in the resort?

2. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Pleasing to hear you are hooked, who needs drugs eh???

Unfortunately from here its a sad and sorry long term addiction and a Bali (pffft) or a Hawaii will never quite stack up in comparison ever again.

if you are from Perth, you should come and join our local crowd of snow lovers, called WASTED. (Westralian Alpine Snow Tragics Enjoying Downhill)

Here's a pic of most of us at the last gathering

[​IMG]

#2 gareth_oau, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  3. gareth_oau

oh, and I've not heard of any drug issues (I've heard Jindy has had a bit of a problem in the past).

There are obviously a lot of (young) people there at the time and its an opportunity for the police to spoil some local fun

4. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Is there a crime prob? At dinner last week in thredbo someone tried to nick my mates down jacket...

5. Nidecker

Nidecker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Most crime in thredbo is the crime of passion [​IMG]

#5 Nidecker, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  6. piolet

Yeah well it was a nice jacket

7. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

What was he planning on doing with the jacket?!?

#7 Telemark Phat, Aug 10, 2013
  8. piolet

Dunno but he had an eighties haircut, sides shaved and bleached top... Blubbered when caught [​IMG]

#8 piolet, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  9. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I think your jacket might need counselling!

10. piolet

Not mine. But my mate is a very handsome man.

11. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

A friend of mine put his goggles down, turned around for a wee, and turned back to find them missing. Another friend had gloves nicked from the table he was standing at to tighten his boots. I dropped a phone there and when I went back to find it less than a minute later it had gone.

So yes, there is a problem with petty theft at all our resorts.

There are very few problems with drugs, as opposed to quite a few people bringing them along. More problems with drunks I reckon. The cops, as has been said, often like to go in and throw their weight around. Last year or the one before they were searching every car going from Jindy to the snow - they created a massive traffic jam, effectively gridlocked the town for the entire morning, prevented a lot of people getting to work and ruined many people's ski weekends.

12. Lahad

Lahad Hard Yards

The pubs usually ask the cops to carry out these searches as it helps sell more alcohol. They don't like competition. The boys in blue are simply the front line in our 'war against drugs' which is a war against all drugs except the two that kill more people than all the others combined. The ski resorts are of course well supplied with illegal substances as are any locations that feature a large, young, transient population - the cops and dogs aren't going to change that in a hurry. What is interesting is that the cops don't search any of the upmarket bars. Probably too many lawyers in there to argue with them - and although many of them don't mind a bit of "powder" either the proprietors probably aren't too comfortable with having the dogs snuffling around in the designer handbags owned by the middle aged set from the Lower North Shore. Those caught in the pub are then expected to pay to have those doing the same thing up the street in the upmarket bar represent them in court - how else do you expect them to pay for those cocktails? Best to concentrate on that other (rarer) type of powder down there!

13. sixty_eight

sixty_eight One of Us

The cops are just doing their job. If you don't do anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about. Don't do it, and you won't get caught.

That's what people keep saying about speeding.

14. gareth_oau

as long as the line betwen job and thug isnt crossed, then no problems.

I suspect those who had a day wasted in Jindy last year felt they has move to a communist nation

15. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old n' Crusty

Wrong, cops are human, fallible and have all of the usual prejudices back by a f@rk-you authority.

#15 Angus_McCrory, Aug 12, 2013