1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed Low temperature battery a necessity in Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Lucas Mill, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Lucas Mill

Lucas Mill First Runs

Should I buy LiFePO4 battery or other low-temperature battery for winter travel? The lithium battery used at cold environment decreases the discharge rate, is that true?

2. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

While I don’t know the battery you refer to, I can vouch for the fact that lithium ion batteries discharge much more rapidly in extreme cold. I used to fat bike in the snow at night in Eastern Canada and around -15 to -20c I found my bike lights discharging in about a third of the time compared to warmer weather.

3. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've taken plenty of pictures on Samsung S5/S8 phone at -20 to -30. Obviously you keep it in inside pocket close to body heat. But at same temps, contemporary model iPhones fail within seconds. Might get one pic if you're quick before it shuts itself down. At the LL downhill, super low temps are a common occurrence. One of the classic tactics was to tape a pair of chemical hand warmers around your VHF radio battery to extend its life on cold days. Nowadays they have lots of collar mikes available so the radio itself can be kept in an inside pocket.

In general, yes, Li ion batteries have shorter life in low temp, but that goes for all batteries. Nice thing with lithium is delivered voltage stays close to nominal right until end of capacity, whereas NiCd and NiMH show noticeable voltage drop and resultant degraded performance in the final third of their capacity. When we switched to lithium system for cordless tools at work, one of the big pluses was their greatly superior cold weather performance.

Lucas Mill and Chalkie like this.
  4. Lucas Mill

Lucas Mill First Runs

I curious that, the performance time decrease is affected by the discharge rate? or the capacity?

5. southpaw

southpaw One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Sorry but I don’t know the answer to your question.