Question Luggage delivery from CDG -> Resorts

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Hi Gang.

Team elSpike will be heading to France this Christmas to do a bit of looking and a whole stack of skiing (watch out for a trip report thread soon). We make use of Taqbin in Japan and would like to do the same in France. Does anyone know if there are luggage services at CDG where we can drop our skis, boots and a bag and have them magically appear at the resort a week later? Ive been doing some internetting and there seems to be mixed messages.

The most clear one is eelway, but they only seem to pick up on weekdays in half day blocks (you have to hang around from 1-5pm), and there are a few comments on various forums saying they are not in business anymore.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
I saw the SNCF site but it appears to not be available at the moment (there is a banner on the French language version). I guess we wait a bit to see if online booking reappears.
We are heading to Meribel in 3 valleys. 300km of pistes should keep us busy for a few weeks.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Hi Gang.

Team elSpike will be heading to France this Christmas to do a bit of looking and a whole stack of skiing (watch out for a trip report thread soon). We make use of Taqbin in Japan and would like to do the same in France. Does anyone know if there are luggage services at CDG where we can drop our skis, boots and a bag and have them magically appear at the resort a week later? Ive been doing some internetting and there seems to be mixed messages.

The most clear one is eelway, but they only seem to pick up on weekdays in half day blocks (you have to hang around from 1-5pm), and there are a few comments on various forums saying they are not in business anymore.
This isn’t to say that nothing exists, but after many years of skiing in France I’ve never noticed such a service, so it’s not mainstream or popular. That said I’ve never really looked as most years we fly in to Geneva and get a short shuttle, or Milan and rent a car.

That said I’d like to take my kids to Paris and can definitely see the value in shipping skis down to the Alps.

Reactions: elSpike

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Thanks Gents.
I’ll keep you posted on what we find. Or will probably just post pictures of me manhandling a ski bag onto the TGV in my TR

Reactions: CarveMan

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Thanks Gents.
.... Or will probably just post pictures of me manhandling a ski bag onto the TGV in my TR
Will not happen!

Have to take the slow train to send us such pictures! LOL

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Will not happen!

Have to take the slow train to send us such pictures! LOL
Fake News! That’s the Eurostar site.
From: https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/faq/aboard-your-train
Bikes, skis and aquatic boards—such as surf-, wake- and paddle boards—are welcome aboard TGV INOUI trains, but they must be stored in a carrying case and stowed in the dedicated areas on your train.

• Haha
Reactions: Hyst

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I took ski gear from Paris to St Anton and then on to Vienna. no real drama with the trains themselves, but getting to/from stations & hotels was a bit of a PITA.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I took ski gear from Paris to St Anton and then on to Vienna. no real drama with the trains themselves, but getting to/from stations & hotels was a bit of a PITA.
My first ski trip to Europe I flew in and out of Paris, back in the days of more generous luggage allowances, and at each end of the trip the forays through the Metro with my skis were a test of endurance, fortunately at 21 I possessed it.

My most recent trip our movements were planned around not needing to go underground with our bags, I booked a hotel opposite the Gare du Lyon train station which services the Alps and some research found a bus service from the airport to the station. This meant short walks and no underground forays with skis as escalators / elevators in the Metro are very scarce - I learned that the hard way the first time.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
My first ski trip to Europe I flew in and out of Paris, back in the days of more generous luggage allowances, and at each end of the trip the forays through the Metro with my skis were a test of endurance, fortunately at 21 I possessed it.

My most recent trip our movements were planned around not needing to go underground with our bags, I booked a hotel opposite the Gare du Lyon train station which services the Alps and some research found a bus service from the airport to the station. This meant short walks and no underground forays with skis as escalators / elevators in the Metro are very scarce - I learned that the hard way the first time.

we chose our paris hotel based on proximity to a RER station on the line from CDG. stayed near palace de luxembourg. the station itself wasn't too bad but dragging everything a few hundred meters through the streets was. there was an issue trying to get through turnstiles and needing someone ro open a gate for us. we were 40, not 21

we packed so that at dijon we just had to take one suitcase to the hotel. the rest could stay at left luggage.

was a pita having to sit with the luggage for > 3 hrs in Zurich when we changed trains. would have been nice to have a bit of an explore.

st Anton was easy because our accom owner picked us up in his van and dropped us off again

in Vienna we once again took one suitcase to the hotel and used left luggage for the rest. picked it up by taxi on the way to the airport.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
These are some great sharing team. Thank you for taking the time. I’ve emailed both eelway and the contact for SNCF baggage to ask. Will report back if/when they reply.

If we cannot find a service we will do similar to the examples. Hotels that avoid underground (can you imagine taking a ski bag and luggage down into Les Halles?!)and look at left luggage or lockers along the way.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
was a pita having to sit with the luggage for > 3 hrs in Zurich when we changed trains. would have been nice to have a bit of an explore.
I've gone through Zürich station several times over the years and have used the baggage store office there which allowed me to wander the town for a few hours.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I've gone through Zürich station several times over the years and have used the baggage store office there which allowed me to wander the town for a few hours.
I can't recall why we decided not to. Possibly they wanted several limbs. Zurich station is the most expensive piss I've ever had

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Not completely relevant but I believe the SBB (Swiss rail) has a luggage delivery service
I used it in 1988. Fabulous. 20 metres on the other side of customs I dropped my luggage and skis. They arrived in Verbier about an hour after me. The 8 minute change at Lausanne defeated even Swiss efficiency.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
I received this reply:
Bonjour Monsieur [elSpike]

Vous souhaitez utiliser le service Mes Bagages pour envoyer vos skis à votre hotel.

Je vous remercie de l'intérêt que vous nous accordez.

Je vous informe que le service Mes Bagages est éligible de domicile à domicile, nous ne faisons ni de collecte ni de livraison en gare ou aéroport.

Je reste tout de même à votre disposition et vous souhaite, Monsieur [elSpike], une bonne fin de journée.

Votre chargée de clientèle, Laurie

L’équipe Mes Bagages.
Which my translation app says means:
Hello, Mr. [elSpike]

You wish to use the My Baggage service to send your skis to your hotel.

Thank you for your interest in us.

I inform you that the My Baggage service is eligible from home to home, we do not collect or deliver to the station or airport.

Nevertheless, I remain at your disposal and wish you, Mr [elSpike], a good end of the day.

Your customer manager, Laurie

The My Luggage team.
That answers that then!

Last edited:
  • Sad

Kenzie

Hard Yards
Sep 23, 2019
I saw the SNCF site but it appears to not be available at the moment (there is a banner on the French language version). I guess we wait a bit to see if online booking reappears.
We are heading to Meribel in 3 valleys. 300km of pistes should keep us busy for a few weeks.
Depends on how many weeks, and your ability.

Kenzie

Hard Yards
Sep 23, 2019
Hi Gang.

Unless you have a specific reason for flying to Paris I'd recommend flying to Geneva for French skiing.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
Unless you have a specific reason for flying to Paris I'd recommend flying to Geneva for French skiing.
Vaccinated travel lanes from Singapore do not allow flights to Switzerland. Only France and specifically Paris on SQ. We’ll be spending a week in Paris before heading to the mountains. We enjoy train travel.

Reactions: Hyst and CarveMan

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
We spent 3 weeks at Shiga Kogen. We don’t get bored of the runs and snow are good!

Vibrrrsov

First Runs
Aug 18, 2021
Shiga Kogen is a cool place to visit, I agree. You can't get bored there. The most difficult and unsatisfying part of the trip is the transportation of ski gear and luggage. It becomes difficult, especially if you don't know the best French transportation companies. So, we decided to send our ski gear via fast postal company from Paris to Shiga Kogen. We used tracking china post services to follow the order and it arrived on time, even a little bit earlier than we arrived. You won't expect that from the US shipping, lol.

Last edited:

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
We carried full ski gear sets through the metro, after a lovely train ride from Geneva.

It sucks, but it’s also not very long of suckage. Parisians are about as accomodating of a family with luggage and ski gear on the afternoon commuter lines who are somewhat incompetent and don’t really know where they are going as in any other city. If it’s what you end up doing I wouldn’t stress too much.

We stayed in the Marais, which was wonderful.

elSpike

I am a Meat Popsicle
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 2015
We carried full ski gear sets through the metro, after a lovely train ride from Geneva.

It sucks, but it’s also not very long of suckage. Parisians are about as accomodating of a family with luggage and ski gear on the afternoon commuter lines who are somewhat incompetent and don’t really know where they are going as in any other city. If it’s what you end up doing I wouldn’t stress too much.

We stayed in the Marais, which was wonderful.
Yeah. That's our backup. We are happy to play the clueless tourist, and are patient enough to wait until out of peak times to move about if needed.

That said, the hotel we are going to stay at on arrival in Paris has said they are happy to organise the luggage transfer for us through their concierge. I'm sure it will cost a bomb, but we'll make use of that to make our week before skiing easier! Will update here (as well as in my trip report) with the experience and any tips I pick up.

Reactions: climberman

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
The one time I stayed in Paris I stayed at a hotel a few mins walk from Gare du Nord, so didn't have to negotiate Metro with ski gear.
I have though been on peak hour Tokyo trains with ski gear.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass