Luggage size

Discussion in 'Passport' started by teckel, Oct 6, 2017.

1. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I recently bought a new suitcase for travelling. I now find that it is 4cm over the max dimensions permitted on my airline ticket. Will the airline (Air NZ) measure it and reject it? Weight, I understand - it's easy to weigh a suitcase. But measurements? Anyone been caught out on this one?

2. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Season Pass Gold

Some do. Some don't. Varies at airports as well.

I have been picked up and charged US$120 by Fiji Airlines in San Fran for a bag that was 5cm to big. But Fiji Airlines are super anal. They measured the weight of all our carry on. And i had to put shit in our pockets to avoid further fees. I will never fly Fiji Airlines again. Too much stress about overcharging.

My advice. If you have a bag that's oversize. Be prepared to pay. Hope that you don't.

ladycamper likes this.
  3. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Never had an issue with checked baggage on Air NZ but I have had issues with carry on... a couple of times they've got me with a tag for a second bag that must go under my seat not in the overhead.

First time I was holding PBs bag while he ducked to the loo, tag was on before I knew what was happening. Second time I had a small plastic bag of the inflight items I wanted in my seat pocket that I'd taken out of my small handbag - she tagged the little plastic bag. I couldn't believe it. Hopefully that level of obsessive rule application doesn't apply for you with your check in bag.

4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Never had any bags measused.

I mostly travel qantas and cathay

5. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Awesome, that's how we're coming home. I fully expect to pay for our ski bags. But then the flights were almost free, so it contras out.

6. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Been measured at Haneda once. Was way over. A douchebag with any length adult ski goes over every time. Was about 9kgs over baggage weights too. They asked me to remove the extra weight which I did. She re weighed the bag and I put the gear bag in....... right infront of her too. God I love the Japanese. Nothing was said about the length or weight despite a discussion between themselves. From my understanding the 204 or 207cm what ever it is? Is very outdated
    and they often class skis etc as oversized equipment and not oversized bags. It's always a lottery though and I am always stressed about it but it's always been fine.

The best airport so far is Vancouver! Been through twice and they haven't even weighed the bags! Over both times buy a few kgs here and there.

Good luck I guess

7. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Season Pass Gold

Watchout. We got into a full blown argument at Sydney. They wanted to charge us $180 per ski bag. We asked them to show us where on the website it said that. After nearly 30 mins of searching. They agreed the website said $100 per ski bag. Frickin scam artists.

Then in San Fran they enforce the 7kg total carry on. I had to put carry-on in my checked luggage, and wear half my ski gear on the plane. Then once on the plane. Take it off and put it in my now nearly empty carry on. Just stupidity to milk extra cash out of holiday makers.

8. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

We are flying over with qantas so all good there. But the only FF flights back were via Fiji. So we'll get hit for the extra bags. I'll print out the conditions, I think I can even prepay.

9. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Any doubt and I have print outs.
    In fact even when there is no doubt!!
    My FF Status/weights as per website/dimensions/everything.
    Also have a cheat sheet for the immigration cards with all the questions they ask (flight number/passport details/days in the country etc for all travellers. Just pull out the one bit of paper to fill in all the cards in flight. No chance of accidentally leaving a passport in a seat pocket.

10. Richard

Richard Addicted Member
    Administrator

It depends on the airline of course but I think it also depends on the style of bag.

I have a typical two wheel cabin bag that also tips over the dimension scale, but unless it is sitting side by side with another bag it’s indiscernible. I’ve never been picked up on it being oversized.

Initially it made me nervous but now sometimes what I do is casually weigh it at checkin and then ask for a ‘approved’ baggage tag. Then it’s clean sailing. This distraction is easier if checking in non-cabin baggage of course.

11. retread

retread Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think its amazing that you go through all the hassle at check in then you go to duty free - couple of bottles of wine, some tim tams and some other stuff. You now have your carry on plus a few bags of duty free and nobody bats an eye.
    +1 had a problem at Kamloops on the way home in January. She had her helmet in her carry on bag which they checked in the frame. The helmet was slightly wide so she had to repack into her luggage. I'm getting to the stage where if challenged I feel like wearing the helmet and clomping down the aisle in my ski boots;).

Apresski and Tanuki like this.
  12. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Re Air NZ. I've found:
    They are more anal with weighing bags on full aircraft into places like Queenstown or Wellington.
    They are also anal on some domestic routes.
    I don't think size is so much of a issue unless you're ridiculously over. 4cm isn't ridiculous.
    You should fly from Samoa or cook islands and see the size of carry on bags the locals try to use. Jesus.

teckel likes this.
  13. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Earlier this year Fiji Airways hit us up for the oversize ski bag out of Brisbane (which I was prepared for), but we didn't pay anything on the way back because Alaska Air checked the luggage all the way through when we got on our internal flight.

14. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

J star has changed our flight to natira via cairns which means domestic from cool to cairns. Ive never had carry on weighed with international but now unsure if i can pack my ski boots in the carry on. The bag is within size but slightly heavier than the 7kg..do they weigh carry on , im not sure.

15. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

We have Southwest internal flights, on a different ticket, so doubt that can happen. Don't you have to be ticketed all the way through?

16. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

always traveled direct, but as we are changing planes im not sure about the carry on. I normally have carry on bag and back pack with in flight stuff in it. Not a big problem, just dont want to get caught out at the check in..

17. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

You'll be fine. In my experience domestic jstar with international connections are pretty lax. I've done syd to nrt via gc and cairns a few times.

18. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

cheers

19. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Easy. If they challenge you just slip off your shoes and put your ski boots on. In front of them. And pack the shoes into your carry on. When you are on the plane you'll take your shoes off anyway. If they want to be silly, you can too.

20. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I saw that last return trip, young lady clumping up and down stairs at terminal 3, quite funny..

21. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Always ask if you can check through, even on different tickets. I have done it successfully from New York via Los Angeles, admittedly from American to Qantas which are partner airlines.

I have also done it the other way at the re-check desk on the other side of customs. The gate agent asked if I had just come off my Qantas flight and didn't charge for luggage.

chicski likes this.
  22. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Lol!
    Glutton for punishment!
    She should've just stopped as soon as she exited the plane and changed back to comfy shoes. In fact I'd be stepping in to the boots as they scan my ticket at the boarding gate as well!!

23. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Haha! Did all that once. Going to NZ skiing on Grand Final Day some years back. Wearing all the heavy thick clothing to get through luggage allowances etc. Trouble was it was 30 deg in Melbourne that day. Got into the aircraft and stripped off.

24. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Our Alaska Air flights were on a separate ticket (bought using FF points) to our paid Fiji Airways flights but they still tagged our bags all the way through. Unfortunately for you I don't think Southwest have a codeshare agreement with Fiji Airways so they won't be able to tag your bags.

chicski likes this.
  25. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I'm amazed that some people actually do that.

26. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Carry on Duffles are much better, can put more stuff cos they're light, and flexibility in size and volume. I used a 50 litre one for 2 weeks in Tasmania, and a 25 litre satchel without iternal divisions as my "handbag".

27. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

not a bad idea I will look into it..my carry on has wheels which comes in handy at the airport ect. but is quite heavy empty, so food for thought.

ladycamper likes this.
  28. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

quite heavy empty is the first problem. And I don't get wheeled carry on - if it is too heavy to carry should it be carry on?

Marty_McSly, Annabuzzy and ladycamper like this.
  29. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Getting the weight down on empty checked luggage is a big deal, but if you are doing much walking through airports, then to trains and through the streets to your destination NOT having wheels and rigidity can be a right pain up bum.

Duffels have their place though.

30. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

I like the airports that have mini-trolleys to carry your carry on after check in. Beijing is one.

31. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

soft

mannyk likes this.
  32. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In not saying its toooo heavy, just that empty it adds to the overall weight before anything goes in. The last 4 trips havent been a issue at all, the size fits my boots perfectly.

33. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah that's what I meant. More weight for the bag itself means less for the contents.

ladycamper likes this.
  34. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

wheeled checked is different from wheeled carry on.
    I have a wheeled duffel as my main bag, but a backpack for carry on. Ski bag goes over the shoulder. So walking through airports onto trains to destination not a problem.

LMB likes this.
  35. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

I reckon a wheeled ski bag is indispensable.

36. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I managed quite easily with a simple single non wheeled ski bag for 35 years of travel on numerous trains, buses, small rooms etc, but then I only carry one set of skis.

37. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

You should try wheels. Your life will change.

38. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

my wheeled carry on is also a back pack, mainly used for when we on send our ski bags ect to the lodge so we have room for a few clothes ec for a few days. By accident I realised my boots fit in nicely which saved on weight with the checked in luggage,which in turn saves the worry of them not turning up with me at the other end. When we get our bags we do the bag shuffle before sending them on their way from the airport. I must add I have a wife, which adds greatly to the extra weight (in bags)..got to have the right outfits.. but she is getting better..;)

LMB likes this.
  39. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

You don't need wheels if it's just a single ski set bag or tube.

I couldn't survive without it with board/boots/helmet and clothing filling the dBag.

Heinz likes this.
  40. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Reading this thread just reminds me
    People take too much crap

41. Summit

Summit Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I flew back from Melbourne with Jetstar on the Sunday after grand final day. I had two bags to check in including an over size ski bag. I only had a quick look at the baggage limits, but had expected to pay when I got to the airport. They didn't weigh both bags when I checked in, just telling me to take the ski bag somewhere else to be checked in. Got the distinct impression they didn't charge me when their fee structure indicates I should have paid...trying to encourage skiers to fly with them. And I tell you what, it was nicer flying with them in a new plane compared to that horrible Qantas flight in an old plane across the ditch between the east coast and Chch !

42. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Had my ski bag weighed at YVR this March. 5kg over, happily paid CAD100 as it was by far the cheapest way to bring back the half-priced pair of Rangers I bought over there.

It was Saturday night, start of the Vancouver spring break and the flights to both Sydney and Brisbane had every seat filled.

43. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I always sigh at the amount of luggage people take, and the excessive amount of carry on people take and fill ALL the overhead lockers, drives me nuts so I am happy they weigh, measure and sting people for excess.

As a family of 4 we travel with 1 x large wheelie ski/snowboard bag, and 2 x 25kg bags. 1 for the kids 1 for us. Then we all take a small backpack for the plane.

Heinz likes this.
  44. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I agree . When i travel i'm always that "last" guy onboard. Alas my overhead locker will be full with people's crap from 7 rows down.
    Oh well. Little backpack pushed under seat in front.

45. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I used to do that. Now I try and board earlier so I can put my backpack in the overhead locker before others fill it with their excess crap. Trouble is that I actually follow the boarding row announcements while many others ignore them and fill the space anyway, so still occasionally have to find space a few rows down.

46. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I remember a flight back from Auckland. Where one of these fell out of the overhead lockers after landing and it a lady square in the eye
    was nasty..big cut/bruise
    [​IMG]

47. LMB

LMB Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Depends on circumstance.

I've travelled super light and I've also paid for an extra bag LOL, totally depends on what is going on at the other end.

Having travelled through HK a LOT, the overheads in economy can be a complete shitfight. In fact they can be a shitfight up the pointy end too! It's crazy how much crap people bring carry on.

PB likes to be the last one boarding, but I usually push him to be somewhere about middle so that he doesn't have to have his small back pack at his feet because it'll often end up at my feet, with mine, because my legs are shorter and his repaired knee still swells if he cant stretch it out properly.

48. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Yeah right. I've left very early March twice now and they haven't batted an eyelid. Maybe the fact the wife and I both have a ski bag and they're just worried about tagging them..... 0 from 2 so far from the weighin at YVR.

49. me tun

me tun Part of the Furniture

LOL yeah, I had similar "what's in the bag?", "skis", "how many?", "OK, you got me..."

Chillybin likes this.
  50. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I was a bit later, 11th of March. I wasn't exaggerating when I said both flights were full. Quite a few pax wanting to go YVR/SYD had to go YVR/BNE/SYD. They put out a pre-flight call for the Brisbane flight for anyone willing to check in carry-on bags because they didn't think the overhead lockers would carry it all.

Probably just poor timing on my part.

Also, my ski bag is a large (2m) double Dakine roller bag. Looks heavy, and on that occasion it had 2pr skis, 1pr boots, helmet, pants and parka and miscellaneous clothing stuffed in.