Luggage Storage & Transfers in Europe

moz

Hard Yards
Jun 18, 2012
Melbourne
Hi All, We are heading off on the big trip mid December for about 6 weeks in total ...Touring Europe + 2-3 weeks skiing...There are 5 or us & we always take our gear. Fly into Frankfurt & out of London.

What's the best way to store & transport ski gear. We've got used to the system in Japan of using couriers to move gear around & I assume this doesn't exist in Europe. I don't fancy travelling about with 150KGs of gear...So what would work? Anywhere you could store luggage for 3 weeks? We are also thinking about trains for getting about. If we do have our gear - is it possible to take all of it on trains?

No idea where we are going yet...My only research so far is to google "snowiest place in europe" - which gets mostly spots in Austria...

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
No real equivalent to Takkyubin in Europe that I am aware of. But generally trains are better catered with racks in each carriage for storing ski gear - Austria & Switzerland especially. On some busier trains in other parts though you may have to try and store in overhead racks - this is where single ski bags have an advantage on heavily loaded double ski bags.

If you are stopping in a town in transit for a few hours there will usually be some baggage store facility in the railway station.

Long term storage - can't answer - I have relatives for that when I go. I'm sure there are facilities but obviously would cost.
For shorter terms if you book a hotel somewhere before and after they will usually store gear in the period in between when you are elsewhere - I done that in India, but not Europe.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

greensnow

Hard Yards
Feb 26, 2012
Canberra
Swiss rail do a pickup, store and drop within Switzerland. Cheaper if you pick up and drop at railway stations. About 3 franc a day to store a big ski bag at geneva airport station, first 7 days were free.

Reactions: piolet

Chester

One of Us
Jul 2, 2007
Train vs car depends on numerous variables ... time restraints, where you are going, where you will be skiing, how much travelling you'll be doing and of course, your budget? If money was no object, then I'd hire a car every time.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
No real equivalent to Takkyubin in Europe that I am aware of. But generally trains are better catered with racks in each carriage for storing ski gear - Austria & Switzerland especially.
I'm looking at a system in Switzerland called Fly Rail Baggage - it appears to work much like takyubin except it ends up at the destination railway station from where you can get your hotel to pick it up, if they agree
in January I'm landing in Zurich for one night then going to Zermatt - it looks like a good option to avoid schlepping stuff
after Zermatt we're off to Paris and it seems like it could work for us in that direction too

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
yep, I'm expecting it to be efficient
I've subsequently found that the arrangement for delivering baggage to Paris has ended early this year and I can only get stuff to Geneva
no biggie

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass