1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Main Range hiking over Xmas?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by filski, Nov 5, 2013.

1. filski

filski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

+1 and I are looking at getting more and more into hiking trips of up to a week in duration - summer only. Eventually tassy is on our radar (Walls of Jerusalem NP). I want to start off with simple trips to make sure we have the right gear and skills. We've just booked some nights at Perisher after xmas and plan to do either the of the 20km+ trails on the main range out of Charlottes... so some quick questions.

1. How clear is the trail and how important are navigation skills for these particular walks. Looking at the trails map on Wild Walks it seems like there are only a couple of crucial spots. My preference is to use GPS as I haven't had to locate myself with a compass/map for a very long time. But I know how its done and could refresh if I need to - and will do before tackling anything serious. Would be easier if I could use an app and upload a maps though (ignore battery issues - I have portable solar).
    2. Tent is a Hubbahubba - not 4 season and wind gets through it a bit. We have good down bags +liners though (down to -10'C) and exped synmats. I'm only worried about the tent being suitable for the temps and winds I might face. It's not going to be a great place to be if the weather turns really bad but I don't plan on setting out in anything other than a good forecast. I don't want to have upgrade the tent unless it's a really silly idea to use it.
    3. What do the photog use for tripods? I'm planning on a CF monopod to use with the DSLR but what about walking poles and adapters (don't own either yet).
    4. Buggerance factor - water, food, other. I'm used to getting through a solid day of walking on around 2lt, +1 is a bit more. With cooking that might take us to 10lt to carry as a minimum - would probably up that by as much as 50% to be sure in case 2 nights are required because of weather. What do others do - carry water or filter/treat it? Food I'm ok with planning on a cal/kg basis.
    5. What am I missing? Clothing should be ok with a variety of layers + waterproof. I have no idea about gators yet. I don't own a giraffe though I'd like to take +1 to see some. Lost glaciers and all the other stuff - yeah I've heard about you BC guys [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 filski, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Shrek Old n' Crusty

it is not impossible to get lost there, but you have to be trying awfully hard. the lakes walk track is heavily trafficked and it is hard to go astray.

don't know the tent, cannot comment on it. i have been in a blizzard up there on new years day.

i use a light lightweight tripod,
    water, it isn't the blue mountains. plenty of water about. i carry 2 litres per person and never treat.

if you are doing the tourist stuff don't need gaiters, if you are going between mawsons and valentines or schlink pass you will.
    the march flies will try to carry you off. do not skimp on the repellant. sunsceen, hat.

3. teckel

teckel "I'm not a cat" Ski Pass: Gold

Weather can get really nasty there in summer - rain non-stop, snow etc.
    If the weather doesn't turn foul, the Hubba Hubba should be fine, but I really wouldn't want to be in it if the weather's nasty.

4. crackson

crackson Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hubba is ok for summer.

Gaiters are essential.

Bushmans repels marchies.

Water is around, depending on the walk.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local

Tried a monopod once; part of a walking pole. Close to useless. Consider a Gorrillapod on a rock or the pack top.

6. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

my main memory of hiking kozi at christmas is flies. 3 different sizes.
    Empty 1.5l drink bottle is the best weapon for killing them. If you sit by the river you can kill flies, throw them in the water and watch the trout strike

7. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

#7 VSG, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  8. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Hat,longsleeve shirt,long pants.,sunnys.and insect repellent...water bottle...

Insects bloody insects bloody insects....Penetrating sunlight with killer uv index!!!

Start early morning...2hour lunch breaks walk late into arvo as sun angle flattens..

Another idea might be one of those nets across face so when you stop for lunch u haven got insects annoying the f b j...s
    out of you.March flies used to be called B52's mean little critters.

9. mr

mr Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

blisters ruin any good walk. take blister blockers

10. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

expect lots of folk, have a few options about where you may camp.. weather/crowds dependent.
    take poo tube otherwise the pooyeti will get you.
    you can also feed the flies to the skinks.
    the best thing about the lakes walk is leaving it [​IMG]
    in good weather the walk is readily achievable as a day walk. My preference if you wish to camp, is to aim for a camp within a couple of hours walking , set up and then enjoy the terrain with lighter packs from there.

#10 Majikthise, Nov 6, 2013
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy A Local

Compeed Blister Blocks. Great gear.

#11 Ziggy, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  12. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yep light day packs make it so easy to cover bigger distances returning to camp previously set up.

13. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

filski, will be lovely, you'll enjoy.
    You can't camp in the catchments of the glacial lakes. NPWS will have a map, possibly at the trailhead, certainly at the Jindy info centre. They'd prolly send you one for nix.

Lakes walk is typically a day walk, ~20km.

There are footpads of various discernation out to most peaks and ridges.

There are some great spots though, try out towards Sentinel Peak.

14. telecrag

telecrag Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I carry maybe 2 litres of water tops, and just ol fashioned boil some up at night. I find meals with lots of water help with hydration, like laksa etc. I would take a 3 season tent as a minimum, or stay near Seamans or Cootapatamba, if the forecast was less than stellar. Its boodifull up there in summer.

Ill be around, you might see me up Kosi, but I will be mtbing, doing the Wicked Wombat NYE, but will be around for a few days before.

15. roo_boy

roo_boy Hard Yards

1. Main range circuits in summer are generally very easy. Trails ail be completely clear of snow by Jan 2014, especially this year. A good portion is on steel boardwalks so hard to get lost. I would take GPS/map/compass, but you won't use any unless weather sets in. Check forecast before you go and if it looks nasty, hold off.

2. Don't stress. Position is more important that the tent IMO. A Kmart tent in a sheltered position if as good as bomb shelter in the open.

3. If not used to walking, take a P&S the first time & DSLR later. Weight matters. 'Tripod' can always be your empty bag. Monopods are pointless for anyone other than sports shooters with very long lenses. Gorillapods a light weight option too.

4. Plenty of water on the main range in a normal summer, needs boiling/treatment though.

5. Don't stress. There aren't that many bad weather events over summer - maybe 2-3 per year tops? Just watch the forecast, and if it looks crappy, go to the pub in Thredbo instead. Don't need gators for a main range walk on the tracks, and don't overpack. Carrying too much crap will make for a miserable trip and you won't want to come back.

16. Dos

Dos One of Us

I've never done overnight camping so no idea about camping.

Last summer I did all the walks around Thredbo. One day I did the Main Range track (in reverse of recommended direction : Thredbo Top - Rawson Pass - Charlotte Pass - Main Range - Rawson Pass - Thredbo Top) in 7.5 hours. Could have been 6.5 had I walked on recommended direction. I felt relatively fine when I got back to my accom. That means the walk is quite easy albeit too long a distance for general people to walk in one day -- 32km. I had to walk down to Thredbo Village because the lift had already been closed by the time I got to Thredbo Top so add 4-5km and 1 hour to that.

There are many creeks, rivers and lakes along the way so water shouldn't be a problem even if you run out of fresh water. The walk track is very clear. You can hardly get lost.

As for technology related stuff, based on my experience Telstra mobile signal covered most area albeit weak at some spots. Optus had signal on and off along the way. Vodafail, as the name suggests, failed to show up most of the time behind Kosciuszko Lookout, not even at Charlotte Pass, except when I was right at the top of Mt Kosi where all three networks presented themselves to me at full bar.

17. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

1. The Lakes walk is very clear, otherwise well defined footpads. There are maps of the lake restrictions at trailheads and by the trails on the approaches to the lakes.

2. In all but the worst weather you'l be fine in a Hubba. If the weather is bad enough to want a better tent I'd recommend some lower altitude walks instead as you won't see a thing.

3. Rolled up T-Shirt as an improvised bean bag. I also only take a 50mm prime to save weight and if it was good enough for Henri Cartier-Bresson its good enough for me.

4. Plenty of water. I treat with puritabs. Different people seem to have different experiences with water quality.

5. Fly's can be bad don't wear blue they love that colour for some reason.

18. filski

Cheers everyone, good to know the tent is ok. I don't know why I doubted it. Plenty of other good tips and advice too. Especially the flies! Although it sounds possible to pack light, the goal is to test out how the gear feels for longer trips too so may load up for the sake of it.

I have a gorillapod so will take that.

[​IMG]

#18 filski, Nov 7, 2013
  19. filski

All done. Interesting about the colour blue - it's true flies love it. My wife wears lots of blue, I don't. Was good waving hand near her pack for lols. Discovered cycling muscles don't translate to walking that well! As for the rest of the questions I asked - non issues really. Only hard track to spot was down to overnite camp spot.

Weather was fine though a bit windy. Camped at Wilkinson's Crk due to wind instead of Townsend. Lots of day walkers but only 1 tent where we were. Water was no issue, had a steripen to be sure but carried 2ltrs each and topped up as needed. Probably didn't drink enough though, a combination of wind exposure and mild dehydration leaving me with a headache tonight.

Amazing scenery! I know you've all seen the area but will post pics when I get home. Loved it all and keen for more. Not sure about +1 though - bit of a glamper and needs a schlepper for this sort of thing. ;) found myself jelly of mtbers coasting back from raw sons though!

20. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Great! It is wonderful walking. Looking forward to the pics.

21. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Looking forward to the pics and TR.