1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Main Range Report 12-14 Aug 05

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Snow Blowey, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

After the big dumps last week three of us decided to head out to ski some of the western faces. We got going a little late so we only really managed to get half way up Twynam, build a cave and have one short run on friday. Unfortunately the snow quality seemed to have deteriorated during friday and we could only find crusty stuff to have a ski on. We headed out to Twynam on saturday morning and were presented with a brilliant sunny day with light winds and a nice low sea of clouds. We skied a nice long run down the north side of the crags in spring like powder. Skined out then attempted to ski strezleki creek. The gully wasn't quite filled in and we were presented with a nice little ice waterfall a couple of hundred metres down. At this point i realised i had a fear of heights. We skied around a bit looking for another firendly face to ski. Low cloud made scouting potential runs a little difficult as we couldn't see the bottom of the runs. We ended up having a go down the avalanche face which presented us with perfect powder snow and a nice steep consistent fall line. Skinned out and that was about it for the day after mooning the helicopter that was giving us the shits all weekend. Woke to very strong winds on sunday morning and after trying to find something worth skiing with little success we packed up and walked back to guthega.

Was very jealous of the two or three skiers that put in some very nice turns down carruthers north face on saturday morning.

Some picies

North Face of Watsons Crags - There's no such thing as vertical metres in Australia.

[​IMG]

Snow boarder boot packing up the north side of the crags (he's there if you look for him)- there are no real mountains in australia.

[​IMG]

Looking down Strezleki Creek to the Sentinel - The best alpine views in Australia are from the third floor of my lodge at Hotham.

[​IMG]

Looking toward the Crags - Australia has not real skiing. The mountains are to flat.

[​IMG]

The avalanche face before we put a few lines down it - i've run out of smart **** comments now.

[​IMG]

The sentinel with a very happy looking skier standing on top - yes i'm really stuck now.

[​IMG]

#1 Snow Blowey, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Very nice Snow Blowey. Your right we have no mountains here. There just little pimples really. [​IMG]

#2 sidetrack, Aug 16, 2005
  3. janus

janus One of Us

:clap: love ya work!

4. TonyB

TonyB First Runs

Awesome !

5. kranky

kranky First Runs

Thanks for posting the photos Snowy Blowey. Looks like some awesome runs down some of the ridges and through the chutes.

I am really keen to get out to the Main Range as last year was my first experience BC (three 3 day trips) and I loved it. However, I only really explored Leather Barrell Creek and south Kozi (in early November).

Anyway, as I am a boarder and will be snowshoeing it, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with approximate travel times from Guthega to the Crags? We only really have weekends. Any information would be much appreciated. Or should I post this as another thread?

Thanks.

6. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Guthega carpark to the crags over Illawong bridge and Mt Twynam = 2.5 hours with a daypack and a very fit crew, 6-8 hours with overnight gear and a not-so-fit crew.

7. Long Time Lurker

Long Time Lurker First Runs

They are some great photos. The third photo (the one of Strzelecki Creek and the Sentinel) is one of the best Oz mountain photos I have seen - thanks for sharing.

8. Rush

Rush Pool Room

Awesome stuff!! :thumbs:

One of these days....

9. SteepNDeep

SteepNDeep First Runs

I want to have sex with Australia.

10. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

is it no quicker to go from charlotte pass? or do ppl not go that way because of having to get the snow transport to charlotte?

11. Graeme

Graeme First Runs Endless Winter

fantastic stuff!!!! My only disagreement is with the caption for the pic referred to by LLL - the best views in Oz are from the antigravity sports car shown!

#11 Graeme, Aug 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  12. kranky

kranky First Runs

Thanks Telemark Fred. With overnight gear I think we would sit somewhere in between. The promise of those sweet lines might just keep the crew trekking [​IMG]

#12 kranky, Aug 16, 2005
  13. telemarx

telemarx A Local

How fast with a giraffe?

#13 telemarx, Aug 16, 2005
  14. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Yeah - it usually takes me 3-4 with an overnight pack, around 2.5 with daypack.

#14 telemark fred, Aug 16, 2005
  15. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Well it depends on the Girffe. A well trained giraffe will shave some time off, but a tempremental one, well...

#15 telemark fred, Aug 16, 2005
  16. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Lovely work..

we were out at Rawsons on saturday.. crusty crud and wind scour, not pleasant turning at all. Had a much better time of it on the Ramsheads out from Dainers on sunday. Nice return jaunt via Rainbow lake except the fires haven't made the trees any easier. [​IMG]

#16 Majikthise, Aug 16, 2005
  17. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

This boarder clearly has no clue. Why would you take a snowboard into the BC? you have to really walk up hills! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excellent work, as always, SB. :thumbs: :thumbs:

#17 VSG, Aug 16, 2005
  18. Snow Blowey

Wasn't much better out there majik. The snow on the southern facing slopes seemed to hold up alright though. And the stuff on the northern slopes was spring like. It felt like it was about 15 degrees C down the bottom of watsons creek on saturday. Everything east of twynam was very crusty and not a whole lot of fun.

A big contrast to the previous weekend where the snow stayed in top condition for at least two days after it stopped falling.

#18 Snow Blowey, Aug 16, 2005
  19. Telestrom

Telestrom A Local

Any more pics? Love to see some more.

20. Airefuego

Airefuego One of Us

Trying to upload a few more pics from this trip but Darb.net seems to be having issues.

possibly it cannot handle the fundamental contradiction posed by the well-known fact that Australian mountains are crap and flat, and SB's photos.

21. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

#21 Majikthise, Aug 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  22. mullet boy

mullet boy First Runs

imagine if you had a helicopter... i always thought that there had to be places like that in Australia, but every time i brought it up, my hopes were crushed with a comment like "Australia has no real mountains"
    im hoping one day ski doos will be allowed, but until then i think ill be walking :headbang:
    o well i geuss your "earning your turns", but whos to say 80 bucks a day isnt earning your turns?

23. sidetrack

sidetrack One of Us

Snow mobiles out there would make a lot of us very upset. :tany:

24. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

I'd like to see any freeheeler ski up a slope that steep any faster than I can walk on snow shoes... sure on the flats with good technique, but uphill.. not likely..

#24 rizla, Aug 18, 2005
  25. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

My observation from traveling in mixed parties is that Snowboarders on snow shoes generally do seem to have a slower tougher time of it pretty much everywhere, including uphill. The difference is least marked uphill though. Its hard yakka on any gear when some altitude need to be gained.

Snowboarders without snowshoes are very severely impaired. [​IMG]

#25 telemark fred, Aug 18, 2005
  26. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

[​IMG]

How would your snowshoes go here?

#26 telemark fred, Aug 18, 2005
  27. BrumbyJack

BrumbyJack First Runs

Hmmmm... I ran into a huge amount of people going BC from Perisher on Saturday while I was racing.

Some were going via Porcupine and a huge group were going up Perisher Road towards CP????

Anyone from here?

28. Airefuego

Airefuego One of Us

i think snowshoes would be most annoying where there are slight downhills and flats between the uphills. not worth strapping the board on so you have to slog it on foot. but skiers can traverse it in no time [​IMG]

#28 Airefuego, Aug 18, 2005
  29. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

well I'd be going straight up instead of zig zagging multiple times across the hill.

I was riding with 2 or 3 telemarkers on the weekend and getting uphill quicker than them. if I'm as fit as them, and take a more direct path, then i'll usually get up quicker.

its not as if you're sliding up that slope are you? nor are you getting any longer leg extension.. i can get a longer stride without skis.

30. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

not arguing with that at all. of course skis are faster and more enjoyable to tour on.. but if I want to tour, I'll take my tele setup.. snowboarding is just much more fun to go downhill.. [​IMG]

#30 rizla, Aug 18, 2005
  31. Airefuego

Airefuego One of Us

ok - here are a few more pics from the trip.

first one - the sentinel from Strzelecki creek (apologies for the dodgy watermark but i'm gonna give a copy to my mum for her birthday and i don't want my sister to steal it first)

[​IMG]

Second - looking down watson's creek run
    [​IMG]

Towards Mt Townsend and Mt Alice Rawson from the crags
    [​IMG]

many thanks to MH-D for hosting and majikthise for the tipoff :cheers:

#31 Airefuego, Aug 18, 2005
  32. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

rizla - I'm not sure you appreciate how steep that skin track is. [​IMG] We are heading for the easier gradient of the spur at the top of the picture, but are actually traversing across a very steep bit of slope just there...

Here is a pic with the skin track in the foreground just before the bit pictured above:

[​IMG]

As you can see we are taking a fairly direct route up a steep slope from the broad valley on the left to gain the ridge on the right.

later the ridge in question became this:

[​IMG]

I have 110mm wide skins and in most circumstances I can skin straight up any gradient that you can snow shoe straight up. I too like the direct path. When it is so steep you have to zig-zag and therefore go cross slope... well - then snow shoes really suck! (though the plastic MSR ones with the side rails on the base seem to suck less than most)

On the undulating terrain and flats there is absolutely no question that skis give much faster and easier mobility.

#32 telemark fred, Aug 18, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  33. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

as I said, not arguing about mobility or undulating terrain argument at all.. I have done plenty of tele'ing and touring... how much snowshoeing and snowboarding have you done?

irrespective, I'm sure I would do as good as hold my own or better on shoes up any steep slope with any tele or AT skiiers. Sure you're not gonna go straight up 50-70 degree slopes on snowshoes either, but I can't see any terrain in those pics I couldn't climb on snowshoes. That can't neccissarily be said for all snowboarders and snowshoers, but it hardly means snowboards/snowshoes are an obsolete or pointless tool in the backcountry.

#33 rizla, Aug 18, 2005
  34. janus

janus One of Us

Telefred, what skis do you use with a 110mm skin?

35. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

karhu Jak.

#35 telemark fred, Aug 18, 2005
  36. Airefuego

Airefuego One of Us

chill everyone - all leg-powered BC is good. [​IMG]

even those very skinny long things i saw a few people on last weekend seem to be ok. that must be a new or developing technology? because they don't look very stable. maybe if they were a little wider and had edges?

[​IMG]

#36 Airefuego, Aug 18, 2005
  37. BrumbyJack

BrumbyJack First Runs

[​IMG]

#37 BrumbyJack, Aug 18, 2005
  38. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

I've done a little snowshoeing and snowboarding, but I have to confess not much. My comments stem from my observations in groups with both Skiiers and Boarders in the backcountry. I agree that a competent shoe-er will go anywhere we can go on our skins, but I stand by my original comment that its harder work on snow shoes (especially if you stay out of the skin track and in that 30cm of soft stuff in those pics I posted).

Those pics are from a trip I did in rogers pass canada in feb. 2 of our party that day prefer snowboarding too, but for that particular day where we hiked around 11km they picked skis because of the effort saved. When we skiied sloped close to the access point there were a few more snowboarders. Out there where the shoe in is long, we saw very few. I am guessing the reason is that its simply harder work, not that boarders are lazy.

#38 telemark fred, Aug 18, 2005
  39. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

Sure. But the ski/boot pack is always harder 1st or second time round for anyone. the more packed the easier it gets - regardless.

As I said earlier, I agree over looong distances skis do make life easier (its obvious they float more that shoes, slide down dips etc). I'm fit, work hard for my turns, and am more than competent than most ppl in the backcountry.. irrespective of my chosen mode of transport.

Just felt compelled to respond to earlier comments about boarding/walking in the backcountry being pointless. It also frustrates me the droning arguments about the 'superiority' of skis, and the sterotypical one is better than the other arguments. Whatever you do if you do it well that's fine with me.. I tour, and I snowboard, and see the benefits of both.

40. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

Is Watson's as steep as it appears in AF's 2nd pic ^^ [​IMG]

#40 Snow Addict, Aug 18, 2005
  41. M-HD

M-HD First Runs

Nope... after seeing those pics I am fine [​IMG]

Sensational stuff... absolutely sensational...

#41 M-HD, Aug 18, 2005
  42. Airefuego

Airefuego One of Us

the angle of the photo does exaggerate the slope a bit.

don't worry though there are lots of even steeper bits available! However we realised that we were a long, long way from cooma hospital so we played it a little bit safe

we skied the side slope of the creek gully - if you wanted a mellower option you could ski straight down the middle of the creek [​IMG]

#42 Airefuego, Aug 18, 2005
  43. janus

janus One of Us

What happens if someone does get injured out there? I guess it's a good reason to go in groups of at least 3..

44. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

I agree with this 100% [​IMG]

I am not trying to drone on about the superiority of skis, all of the different choices of equipment have strong and weak points. The best gear for going long distances on gentle grads for instance is double camber long skinny skis with pattern or wax for grip, and light low comfy boots. The same gear is a very poor choice for skiing the crags!

Go out there with whatever gear makes you happiest, and have fun I say! :thumbs:

#44 telemark fred, Aug 18, 2005
  45. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Yes it is steep. Here is another pic taken on the same slope to confirm:

[​IMG]

By the way AF - great piccies.

I am off to spend a week there form Sunday - this time I am packing my digi SLR as i now have picture envy... [​IMG]

#45 telemark fred, Aug 18, 2005
  46. rizla

rizla Hard Yards

good good! cheers [​IMG]

#46 rizla, Aug 18, 2005
  47. Snow Addict

Snow Addict Part of the Furniture

I think I'd get a case of the willies looking down one of those...better stick to inbounds for now :out:

48. Snow Blowey

I suffered from a bit of that myself on the weekend. I can ski most slopes. Steep doesn't bother me in the slightest but when you're looking down a 30-35 degree slope that goes for about 1km things start looking a little different. Especially when the bottom of the run is clouded over (it looks like you're skiing a bottomless slope). Then there's the fact that you know you're in a bit of trouble if something does go wrong. After the weekends effort though i'm very keen to get back out there and ski a few of the more difficult lines.

#48 Snow Blowey, Aug 18, 2005
  49. fitz

fitz Hard Yards

The dodgey shot is superb, real high mountain feel-great shot,what were you using?

50. fitz

fitz Hard Yards

The dodgey shot is superb, real high mountain feel-great shot,what were you using?