Perth
Been a while now. Not good at all.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Also complaining about the cost of SAR. Hello, travel insurance anyone?

Very sad to hear about this. 5 days now without any good news.

gibbsy

Addicted
Aug 3, 2011
Very sad. I wager it may be a while before he is found and there is not much the sister or family will be able to do once there. I doubt flying in an American search team will work out any cheaper, and avy conditions must be a bit hairy with all the variable weather lately.

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
Damian has listed a number of slides on both north and south sides of the Happo ridge. May have some bearing on it.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
There's sfa that covers oob and prexisting conditions and being a bit senior
I think they expect us to age gracefully Curra! Stuff that!
I'd go for the OOB cover over the preexisting conditions. Let's face it, if you get in trouble OOB it's not likely gonna be because of your bionic knees or hips.

And maybe it'd be worth stumping up for 2 policies. One for OOBs and one that covers the laundry list of broken things fixed ;-)

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
I think they expect us to age gracefully Curra! Stuff that!
I'd go for the OOB cover over the preexisting conditions. Let's face it, if you get in trouble OOB it's not likely gonna be because of your bionic knees or hips.
Between us we have a number of prexisting medical conditions too. Dislocating an artificial joint is also an added risk. However i would risk going overseas with conditions limiting cover for prexisting conditions. I don't think i would ski oob without cover.

Reactions: LMB

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
Not judging but having a pre exitising condition and being senior is to me personally a good reason not to go oob, I'm no statistician but I wouldn't want to be underwriting that puppy

Reactions: Pelm1

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Not judging but having a pre exitising condition and being senior is to me personally a good reason not to go oob, I'm no statistician but I wouldn't want to be underwriting that puppy
i probably wouldn't want to go without a guide but i don't see why i shouldn't do the sort of skiing i did with a guide previously.

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Many pre existing conditions have no impact on your skiing, in bounds or out of bounds.

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Last edited:

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Jan 17, 2014
Coastal suburban boonies.
The problem with not disclosing pre-existing conditions is that it may invalidate the whole policy. There has been some redress in the last few decades, but insurance law is generally tilted significantly in favour of insurers.

Reactions: currawong

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Between us we have a number of prexisting medical conditions too. Dislocating an artificial joint is also an added risk. However i would risk going overseas with conditions limiting cover for prexisting conditions. I don't think i would ski oob without cover.
I used this medical insurance policy for cover to the USA and Canada last month. Covers pre-existing conditions if they have been stable for 90 days.

https://www.visitorsinsurance.ca/content/tic-visitors

Reactions: currawong

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
The real problem with BUPA is they cover rescue, not search.

Hence the AAC(UK) extra cover. It's around 50 quid for a year.

Reactions: piolet

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Per smackies, they will approve pre existing conditions
They MAY approve SOME pre-existing conditions after you jump through all their hoops. And they may then add an extra premium for the privilege. That's the same as most travel insurance policies.

Wait until you get older Smitty and the body starts to fall apart, then you too will enjoy reading through the finer points of insurance PDS paperwork and filling out all your medical history just to see if an insurance company will let you go for a ski. ;)

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Does the BUPA policy you use cover off-piste? The PDS @Born2ski linked excludes off piste.

Edit:
Just found this that probably covers it.

https://www.overseastripinsurance.c...vel-insurance-with-adventure-sports-coverage/

Just realised the link he posted isn't the insurance I'm talking about.

I have an annual policy with BUPA Global (not BUPA Australia).

Yes, it covers off piste. Have claimed. No, they don't cover search (though kind of cover rescue). In their words, "we will come get you if you know where you are".

Last edited:
Reactions: Born2ski and Dave6

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
They MAY approve SOME pre-existing conditions after you jump through all their hoops. And they may then add an extra premium for the privilege. That's the same as most travel insurance policies.

Wait until you get older Smitty and the body starts to fall apart, then you too will enjoy reading through the finer points of insurance PDS paperwork and filling out all your medical history just to see if an insurance company will let you go for a ski. ;)

You make it sound far more difficult than I found it to be.

Had GP fill out certificate. No need for a full medical history. No additional premium.

Reactions: smitty484

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
The debris off the side of Happo is crazy. Massive amounts coming from every aspect. Sad to hear a fellow snow lover is missing. If he is down there then it could be a while before he is discovered.
16939520_1466558940044293_8896554864380923944_n.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass