1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

March skiing

Discussion in 'United States' started by Roymond, May 15, 2019.

1. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

Got a chance for a ‘work’ conference in snowmass next mid march 2020. We were there early feb this year and it was wonderful- perfect snow, perfect weather. This year the same conference has been pushed back a month. Does anyone have any experience skiing Colorado mid March?
    How reliable is the snow base - are you starting to get the spring sludge by then? Is it getting too warm? I appreciate this year was an exceptionally good year and probably not a good benchmark...

2. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It really depends. Can get decent storms in March but also be pretty warm (hello slush bumps).

I wouldn’t say no just because it is March.

Rick Ross Da Boss and Roymond like this.
  3. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Mid March is peak base. In fact March is historically the snowiest month in Snowmass I believe. Surface conditions will vary dependant on weather of course. The low angle areas could well be softening but the north facing steeper pitches should be holding winter snow. Nip over to Highlands and hike the bowl - cold dry snow guaranteed!
    You’ll have a ball regardless.

CarveMan and Roymond like this.
  4. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Colorado in March sounds mint!

skiflat and Roymond like this.
  5. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

I’d never say no. I was just wondering if it was worth pulling the kids out of school for. Sounds like a yes.:)

Rick Ross Da Boss likes this.
  6. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Which ski resort are you considering? In general, mid-March is still consider "mid-season" as opposed to "late season" in Colorado. All the Colorado resorts are open until early April. Those that close then usually still have enough snow and decent temps, but not enough paying customers to justify staying open.

For kids, the answer for international travel over school is always "yes." At least it was for my parents, who were professors. :)

7. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

March is often (maybe usually??) the snowiest month of the year in the Rocky Mountains.

But as it's the beginning of spring, when the sun does come out it will have a stronger effect, so you just need to be aware of your aspects and ski accordingly.

I ski overseas most years in March and have skied some epic powder.

Roymond likes this.
  8. Roymond

Roymond One of Us

Snowmass. Prevailing opinion seems to be ‘no worries’.

9. MarzNC

Yep, should be fine mid-March. Key indicator is that Aspen will still be charging full price for day tickets.

I was at Aspen/Snowmass the last week of March a few years ago. Timing of the trip was based on my husband having a professional meeting in Denver. First day at Snowmass was a powder day. A few days later it was too warm at Aspen Highlands by 2pm. That was just before discounted rates started.

Roymond likes this.
  10. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

Historically Feb 15- Mar 15 (between Presidents' Weekend and St Patrick's Day) is the ideal period for Australians to head to Aspen for the best balance of snow, temperatures and daylight. Americans have spring break holidays in the second half of March and hence the March peak period is usually the week starting St Patrick's Day (Mar 17) - but what is called a peak period in Aspen means a lift queue of only a couple of minutes at a couple of times of the day. March is also the snowiest month.

This season's conditions were/are that good that Aspen Mountain is re-opening for skiing on Memorial Day weekend:
    May 25th-27th the Aspen Mountain Gondola will open for summer business from 10am-4pm for; sightseeing, delicious food, great drinks and jamming’ to a DJ at the Sundeck. Aspen will have the Ajax Express Chair running from 10am-2pm (or until conditions permit) on the same 3 days for 130 acres of fabulous skiing & riding.

CarveMan likes this.
  11. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

I had a week at Steamboat towards the end of March and the only place where the spring school vacation peak crowds were an issue was in the feeding holes at lunch time. Slopes and lifts were fine.

12. MarzNC

Actually, U.S. school spring breaks are spread all over March and into April. There are U.S. colleges that have a week off the first week of March, or the second week of March, as well as later in the month. Some K-12 schools will have spring break around the time of Easter, which is April 12, 2020. The timing is somewhat regional. For instance, in the southeast where I live classes start by mid-August while in New England classes start in early September. Was a bit of a culture shock when I moved from New York City to North Carolina during high school long time ago.

That said, the only time there might be a lift line of more than 5 min at Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, or Aspen Highlands would be at the base around 9:15am. Never a wait at Buttermilk. Note that Buttermilk has a range of terrain. It's not just green/blue trails. The black terrain can be good fun a day or two after a powder storm because advanced skier don't go there so it doesn't get skied out.

A trail off Tiehack lift at Buttermilk, Feb 2016, not too steep but steep enough for powder turns

13. sbm_

sbm_ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Colorado in mid March

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Rick Ross Da Boss

Rick Ross Da Boss One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Looks horrible.... :eek:

15. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

I mentioned last week that Aspen Mountain would be re-opening for skiing for Memorial Day (this) Weekend.
    The 12-18 inches of snow overnight have not hurt conditions.

Only the top quad, Ajax Express chair will be open for sliding.

16. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

So far Aspen Mountain has opened lift served skiing for Memorial Day weekend May 25, 26 & 27
    Then again last weekend June 01 & 02
    and just announced,
    another weekend of June 08 & 09 - doubtful they will last until 4th of July like Mammoth Mtn CA.

17. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

The final weekend of lift served skiing in Aspen will be the weekend of June 15 & 16 - this coincides the massive Food and Wine festival. Hours are 9.00am till 1.00pm.