1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Use the Force filters, Guest!

Skis     Snowboard     Telemark     Clothing     Boots     Bindings     Accessories     Roof Racks     Chains     Outdoor Gear     Wanted     Free     Sold

TUTORIAL: How to post in Gear Swap so it sells

Sold Marker Alpinist 12 AT tech bindings

Discussion in 'Gear Swap' started by Chaeron, May 18, 2020.

1. Chaeron

Chaeron A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Marker Alpinist 12 Tech Bindings - brand new & unused - never mounted ( set without stoppers)

I have upgraded to Dynafit Rotation 12’s which suit my requirements better, so am moving these on.

They retail for between AUD 480 and AUD $550 (for overseas comparison prices add @ AUD $40 shipping.)

Selling for $450

SPECS:

“The Marker Alpinist is the latest, greatest Pin Touring bindings from Marker. Ultralight, extremely durable and with superior features in this weight class – the Alpinist is perfect for high alpine challenges and multi-day missions.

The Marker Alpinist really shines on the uphill. Easy to use climbing aids, including the ever important 0° flat mode, ultralight (245g) construction & crampons that are simple to install/remove.

The 6-12 release values offer a great range for more powerful skiers looking to scramble up mountains for the joy of skiing down. However, these aren't a binding you will want to spend many days in the resort on. Not only will they feel harsh and slow compared to alpine bindings, its a great way to destroy a pair of ultralight touring bindings.

Features
    • Adjustable DIN-setting: 6.0 - 12.0
    • Weight w/o brake: 245 g
    • Length adjustment: +/- 7.5mm
    • Active length compensation during ski flex
    • Heel: Rotate Pivot
    • Toe: PinTech with double spring
    • Material: Forged aluminium, carbon, fibre-reinforced polyamide

More details: https://www.marker.net/en-us/products/bindings/touring/
    Review: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/at-bindings/marker-alpinist-12

#1 Chaeron, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Untele-whippet and ecowain like this.
  2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

3. philthree

philthree Hard Yards

How does the Marker Alpinist stack up against the G3 Zed (which I was thinking of buying)? I am melb so I could collect easily if they are still available.

4. Chaeron

@philthree

Seems a favourable comparison - see below:

(Cheaper, and aside less easy transition between levels of heel lifter a good performance for weight option) 40% less expensive - bargain for a new binding...
    https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/at-bindings/marker-alpinist-12

#4 Chaeron, May 19, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    pegasusSki likes this.
  5. philthree

philthree Hard Yards

Thanks for providing the comparison data. Agree they stack up favourably against the G3 Zed.
    If you can provide me with the invoice of purchase I'll buy 'em. (this would assist me should I ever need to make a warranty claim in the future).

Let me know if you can provide me with the receipt & I can org payment.

Regards,

Phil.A

6. Chaeron

Will PM you.

7. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

can I ask why you went for the Dynafits? I was going for Dyna too, but my envelope with cash is filling more slowly than I would like...

8. Chaeron

I like the rotating toe which allows for more play and give and for a safer release - which is a factor if I take on more challenging terrain and ski harder. I already have some Dynafit ST 2’s (which don’t rotate) and also a pair of Dynafit Radicals (which have some rotation) - these are currently on patterned bases and for rolling hills rather than steeps.

Also on more steep terrain I prefer the easier heel lifter transition afforded by the Dynafits - the heel lifter transition is less optimal with the Marker Alpinist, but this wasn’t initially an issue as the Alpinist was going to go onto a patterned base rolling hills ski, not a terrain ski.

I wanted some beefy but light bindings to mount on a pair of DPS Cassiar 87’s and my cash flow improved, hence the upgrade.

There’s also some irrational brand loyalty to Dynafit (when I upgraded from frame bindings Dynafit was ahead of other manufacturers at that stage and offered more bang for buck - no longer the case)

@skifree has pointed out for example how amazing ATK bindings are and tbh. Dynafit is now only one among a pack of options -

I must say, skiing Marker bindings on my inbounds DPS Wailer 112’s and Marker Barons on my Blizzard Bonafides have given me a newfound appreciation for Marker bindings too tbh. Marker has come a long way in BC offerings, starting with the KingPins which had some initial issues.

pegasusSki, Annabuzzy and skifree like this.
  9. Chaeron

No problem @philthree - I have pm’d you.

10. Chaeron

11. pegasusSki

pegasusSki Addicted

rotating toe - that's the built-in slop or give, yes? I liked the idea of that too.

Chaeron likes this.