Question Master Merlin Plan 2018

Discussion in 'Hotham & Dinner Plain' started by Pink, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Pink

Pink Active Member

The Summit snowmaking installed last Summer was promoted as the completion of a 20 year snowmaking master plan. What's next? Where's the new forward plan? What magical major projects has Mr. Merlin got in his pointy hat? How's this year's capex budget going to be spent? Rumour, conjecture, speculation and divination welcome.

2. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe a bit more tinkering with the snowmaking.

A new dam would be nice.

Won't be any new lifts.

Pink likes this.
  3. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

they are replacing eagle at falls (subject to planning approval), citing its age (37) as a key consideration. admittedly eagle is more important to the overall resort that blue ribbon, but the point is that merlin realise that a lift is not forever

Pink likes this.
  4. Pink

Pink Active Member

Juicy! You're saying Blue Ribbon will be replaced? With a quad from the Plains of Heaven to the top of Higgy perchance?

5. Pink

Pink Active Member

The snowmaking has been money well spent.

FatBoyDave and Tanuki like this.
  6. PG2736

PG2736 Active Member

I would replace heavenly valley with a high speed 6. Move the heavenly chair over to Blue Ribbon and then put another new chair back up from the village into the one tree hill area.

7. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Logic, finally top to bottom. Rinse and repeat from the summit down Wendix. Dreaming

8. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Edit that to put the HV replacement up to the summit, cover the road between the roadrunner and Loch carpark (thereabouts) and it's, er heaven. From the summit over the bridge you'd still have easy access to Imagine etc. plus the added vertical and direct fall line access to The Canyon, Wendix etc

PiedPiper, Alfred14 and Pink like this.
  9. Cuppa

Cuppa Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Would be open less than blue ribbon is at the moment with a lower base. Put in a mid station.

Rush and Pink like this.
  10. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

another really wide skiers bridge or two closer to the top road runner would be a huge improvement.

Yeah it's north facing but would essentially re open a lot of terrain that is now unusable.

ladycamper and FatBoyDave like this.
  11. Pink

Pink Active Member

Mid station sounds cool. And yes, a ton of summer grooming, snowmaking and a bridge over the road. Though, given the marginal snow cover, and the scree being home to burramys parvus, if the triple did fall into disrepair, would the permanent removal of the lift be more likely than it being replaced?

12. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Just back from Hotham (SG 3) here's a few cents worth in no particular order.

I'd like to think Ribbo would be replaced if it becomes unrepairable - can't imagine parts would be easy to come by as it approaches 40 years. In the storm last week (Tuesday), I was informed it was the only serious lift operating for a time. On Monday it provided a sanctuary with winds (blizzard at times) raging.
    A mid station would be a no brainer - in fact it would be pointless without one most seasons.

Many of the aforementioned items like extra road bridges or a HV 6 pack were on the MTH Master Olan released a few years ago. Some of these items I recall were retained from the 'Ray Plan' era of say mid Naughties. The funky hotel at the top of Village may have looked nice but I'm not sure if that's the segment Hotham's lacking. In fact, each year the village seems to lose a small club lodge only to be replaced with much nicer but much more expensive accom.

The Higgi chair connecting the HCent to Big D would be handy and cut some bus traffic - I'm not sure it's high priority for the lift co. But anything to cut traffic through the main drag would be a winner.

I'd like to see a wide bridge from the bottom of the summit to ski school waiting areas near Zirkies. It's too crowded, narrow and dangerous and a so called resort (plus lift co. VicRoads & Govt.) taking OHS seriously would seperate cars from skiers (esp such a pedestrian-dense area) and create a more of a ski village feel to it. Unfortunately, it usually takes one or more deaths to shake up complacement orgs into action. Hope I'm wrong on this one! These bodies could do a cost estimate and circulate - I dare not mention the 'St_dy' word.

Perhaps with road / ski school wait area sorted, eventually a summit six pack (detach to help beginners) could be installed - maybe pushed closer to the 'new' road bridge to reduce the poling distance.

On a more cosmetic level, Hotham Central has lost so many of its small gnarly gums - I'd like to see a few dozen snowgums (not me!) grown to a sustainable size and plonked in suitable spots. I guess Similar to around the Buller clock tower garden. This might soften the semi-Arctic' feel to the upper village if not reduce wind speed.

A six pack on HV has to be a no brainer too! Lift just doesn't cope on busy Weekends. A higher top station would be good (of course with a road bridge!) - I'm not sure how this would work on bad weather days. Lots more wind hold I guess??

Add some walking paths (C'mon management an issue for decades!!) on the GAR so walkers can avoid using the bus without fear of being hit. Add lighting along dark arctic parts of GAR btn HC & DV. Seal the mini car parks & adding lighting to the mini car parks like BRibb & above Drift Lodge. It's not rocket science! Look at What Falls /Thedbo has done as a guide.

Not totally convinced about T-B lifts to OTH & or Golden Point - the top 10% skiers might love them but it's Easy-Medium Blues that Hotham lacks - it's partly why the village Loop / Siush Gully I'd so busy.

Perhaps Eagle's Ridge would spread crowds one day. But I've heard on the grapevine that there may be a lot of red/green tape intervening.?? Be good to learn the true status of this proposal folks.

A lot of folks from Dav Vill say snowmaking on lower Dav Access would be great - it's often unusable late / early in season & poor seasons. Esp the last corner facing the north sun. And there's lines / guns nearby at the bottom of Village chair - so not a major pipe laying problem.

Falls:

Have Blabbed enough, so in short.

Replace Eagle and Gully, in time update FCk Exp to a 6 pack. Add some snowmaking to a few 'key' summit runs so more advanced skiers have something to ski in below par seasons, & early/ late season.

...nice with my next billion dollars...???
    .......mmmm?

Chaeron, Gregah, Ziggy and 1 other person like this.
  13. gettingtooold

gettingtooold Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Agree with your Falls comments. Read somewhere that Eagle is up for replacement with a quad. Good start. Gully is a bloody disgrace. While acknowledging it services pedestrian access to the bowl, it's also access to Summit chair and poling to that is an absolute pain at any time.

Chaeron likes this.
  14. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

subject to final planning approval, eagle will be replaced with a detach quad this summer

15. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

hv as a 6-pack? :eek:

just how many more people do you want in slalom gully?

Rimey and FatBoyDave like this.
  16. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

yeah i always seem to get told off by skiier cross course guys for cutting into wendix etc.

seems odd to cut off a bunch of runs and funnel people down sun run catwalk sundowner for the odd race

FatBoyDave and The Plowking like this.
  17. Gregah

Gregah Active Member

Notwithstanding the increasingly frequent guenuine lift breakdowns (unforgivable if serviced correctly or replaced when beyond serviceable life) the slowness of lifts don't rile me at all. It's the concentration of punters on HV when there is so much other intermediate to advanced terrain to be opened up if only the $s were there to be spent. Whether it's Golden Point or Dargo Bowl or Australia Drift or the back of Higgi or wherever I don't give a stuff. Just FFS progress the thing closer to its amazing potential.

FatBoyDave and currawong like this.
  18. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

I agree with your Sentiments Currawong, that's why Gregah's caveats are vital.

As for new locations: many areas suggested are black or double black, although they may start as blue.

Back of Higgi is largely outside of the resort boundary which comes close to the Big D area (Easy St?). Not sure why so high - maybe possums?

Dargo Bowl might have potential as a Blue up high - but I seem to recall it plunges like the Drift at some point. Just not sure Mum and Dad are going to take their improving 10 years olds down the back of Hotham. It's pretty gnarly even in Spring corn without fog.

Orchard has helped manage crowds but it can be super icy and the lower runs can be more like black than blue. This scares improving blue skiers.

It's a tough mountain for Mid skill skiers, maybe Merlin should spend more time and effort getting Eagle Ridge up - assuming it meets the Skill, aspect, length requirements??

cookieman, Gregah and currawong like this.
  19. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Pretty sure Eagle Ridge had final approval in 2012 but wasn't acted on.
    Back of Golden point would be good for intermediates.
    Could have a day lodge and whole bunch of easy terrain up high

20. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

The annual "things that will never happen at Hotham" thread. Nice.

Rush, Pink, cookieman and 5 others like this.
  21. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Pea Gully wasn't it?
    Tis a sad story. So close to getting the go ahead..... then a poo 2013 season with bugger all snow and bugger all people put the kybosh on it forever. No money will be spent on new lift infrastructure at Hotham ever again, apparently.

I guess that doesn't really matter if you prefer not to use the lifts....

The Plowking likes this.
  22. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

Always.

mick chopps likes this.
  23. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

See I look at it differently.
    Time in resort keeps the skills sharp for people like you and I who can hardly get up there...for now.
    Kind of why I like Hotham for mornings inbounds and non-lifted afternoons.

Rimey, Seth, snowgum and 1 other person like this.
  24. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

...ha! Season Pass have you?

... Like the sentiment but with only a handful of ski days (& passes) per year, that's a luxury I can't afford. (SOB).

Just waiting for Merlin to intro a 50 or 100 hour anytime pass. Talk about a hit!
    - 3 hour skis Sunday am before long drive back to city - check.
    - midday ski after sleep in and before big communal roast - check.
    - parental childminding tag team - check!
    - short day & long lunch with crunchy Tele knees - check!

Too convenient - will never happen. (SIGH)

25. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

If I've only got a handful of ski days, I'm not wasting them on average conditions inbounds...

currawong likes this.
  26. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

Malbun in Leichtenstein (sic?) had the most flexible tickets I've ever seen for a resort.
    Went by the hour if you wanted.
    Do like.
    Honestly, I agree with you.
    I just buy half day tickets even if it is only 20 bucks cheaper (Rort!)
    I'm well over the resort by 12 anyway.

mick chopps likes this.
  27. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

You could always waste those couple of days on the primo fresh days....though that of course assumes a degree of flexibility.

mick chopps likes this.
  28. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

or you could waste them in the rain at Buller.... :(

The Plowking likes this.
  29. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

Personally the half resort in half out accessibility works OK for me at this point.
    Now if only it was easier on the wallet..

mick chopps likes this.
  30. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

Farking temperamental baitch that it is.

mick chopps likes this.
  31. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

I'm at the other end. With kids 13, 11 and 8 im mostly resorting these days, just starting to get out back with the older lot on the nice days. So im pretty much in the resort all day, and really enjoying it when the whole mountain is on like this year. When i had little ones it was more the am in the resort pm outbounds or in the lodge looking after them. i see skiing in the flattest driest hottest inhabited continent as a bit of a treat, and just close my eyes and hand over the credit card.

cookieman, hongomania and mick chopps like this.
  32. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

My old man has suggested he and the wife join us for a trip next to help with babysitting. I'm already angling for Hoth but expect Mrs Chopps will want Falls.

33. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Interesting bit of knowledge Plowking. The scuttle I had was that the Govt/Red tape delayed it to the point where Merlin walked away. Sure Can't believe every tidbit.

Going glass half full here: perhaps post 2017 is an ideal time to build a chair with the piggy bank somewhat healthier than past years??

The Plowking likes this.
  34. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

As long as they leave the Avy gully area the hell alone I'll be happy!
    Cat track to bottom in the too hard basket was the final word on that one year's back.
    Not really the required punter friendly terrain either

35. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

What really stuffed it up was the fact that merlin's first season was a good one. Would have been thinking it was money for jam.

The second was a shocker. Closing in July because of lack of snow. That killed it. Right there.

Look at what has been spent since 2013. Not much.

CarveMan and mick chopps like this.
  36. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

exactly. that was the only reason.

37. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Pea Gully/Eagle Ridge would've been exactly the terrain needed. Lower intermediate to ease the progression from noob to Heavenly Valley and get some of the punters out of Slalon Gully at 2pm on a Saturday afternoon. But meh, never happening. And means fewer peeps will hit the Eagle Ridge chutes.

The Plowking likes this.
  38. The Plowking

Season Pass Gold

Yes.
    Easy safe option for mixed terrain.
    Another road bridge or 2 wouldn't hurt also, off summit.
    Same with lowering the road through Hotham central.
    Road bridge off the D.
    Extended blue ribbon, with mid station.
    But.
    I should say I couldn't care less about new developments. They happen, they happen. Or not. Meh

mick chopps likes this.
  39. hongomania

hongomania Dedicated Member
    30 Day Pass

Lol noob

mick chopps likes this.
  40. SuskiQ

SuskiQ Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Reading that send cold chills through me and shivers down my spine!! :emoji_cold_sweat::emoji_confounded:

41. Cuppa

Cuppa Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I reckon they willing be spending a bit of time and money this summer on HV. Its performance this year hasn't been stellar.

42. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Slalom Gully probably has the biggest moguls of any easy blue run in Vic. Anything that could reduce crowds and hence moguls would get a big tick from me. And probably many others!.

43. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

ive always wondered if they couldnt work out a way to run a groomer down either half (longitudinally) around lunchtime....but might be too tricky with the heavenly feed and WHS etc

but i then i guess the moguls are good speed control devices in this slow zone

ive learnt to badly tele moguls on the afternoon slop in slalom gully, not all bad i spose

44. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

A new motor would be good. Can hear it from Harrietville.

gaz35 likes this.
  45. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Some new buses would be good - the current crop are ageing and their emissions are evident in the black snowpack either side of the road (esp below) in the spring ( no fresh to cover the sludge!).

I'd dare say a few might fail their emission tests if c/f current limits.

Oh and bus racks that take twin tips & boards would cut clutter - improve safety! Ta!

Pink likes this.
  46. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

It sucks when you’re hiking out the Razorback and all you can hear is this whacking great diesel.

Chaeron likes this.
  47. Bluebird

Bluebird Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

I've wondered the same thing! LOL

mr likes this.
  48. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

That noise kind of rubs in the fact that youve skiied for a total of 9 mins for 7 hrs and 51mins of traversing and climbing....

But then thats what i love about bogong, complete immersion in wild

hongomania, Seth and CarveMan like this.
  49. BillyKidd

BillyKidd Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Dynamite and bulldoze the Arlberg.

Pink likes this.
  50. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

...Dangnambit, what the hell!

While were at it, I'd like to see a decent day shelter with showers andchange rooms and a decent place to eat when eating a self made lunch - rather than 3-4 tables squeezed between HC lockers. More like the first world country we think we are.

After all, even peeps without lift tickets have paid resort entry, petrol tax etc...

Chaeron, currawong and Pink like this.