1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report May 2nd 2020. Upper Taggerty Track.Yarra Ranges N.P. XC ski.

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

Now that the plague restrictions are being relaxed here is a trip report.
    @beefa skiing and I went to get our exercise at the nearest possible venue for our chosen activity. Under stage 3 lockdown the VIC. GOV.T advice on travel for exercise was that you were/are permitted to travel to the nearest place possible
    " if the facility is not adjacent to your abode".

Nordic skiing was not banned the way that Golf and fishing were !

So off we went.

It was not as good as Hotham/Dinner Plain , Charlotte Pass or Falls Creek but some 2 hours of early May plank action was to be had until we ran out of snow near 1000 M. ASL approaching the Concrete bridge where the Upper Taggerty river flows.
    @Ubiquitous Steve has worked hard to clear this disused/locked management track so that XC skiers, bushwalkers and Mtn.bikers can enjoy what is quite a good 9 km route from near Lady Talbot drive to Snowy Hill Car park at LM resort.
    We skied for 2 hours. I was mega rusty at skiing , the snow cover was thin and marginal and my rock hopper XC ski pattern base got stuck on a rock and down I went. My knee and ankle on my left leg were worse for wear.
    It was cathartic to get out and about. Much to our surprise , many 4 WD users were doing overnighters in the Mt. Margaret area!

#1 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  2. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Today Team Bears got some firewood for Keppels Hut... many folk were having a bbq outside...day trippers....like 15 at least ...another 4staying overnight around the hut.We also brandished the brushcutter around the Upper Taggerty entrance gate and signs on Keppels 4x4 Track.....Track very slippery now past Upper Taggerty Rd.We trimmed a few dangerous logs...but remember seasons gate closure is Thursday after Queensbirthday Public Holiday ....Fire wood was the priority of this trip....also we checked foot track up to the steep bit and a little bit further.So chainsawing work will cease after this weekend ......
    Keppels Hut is in good order but little firewood is inside or in shelter .We did best we could today ..we may be able to get one more load in on Tuesday ....

Keppels Hut is a draw card....folk just keep coming regardless of the agricultural track!New folk come and they must recommend it to their peers !

3. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis A Local Ski Pass: Gold Ski Pass: Silver

I did a supply drop in the McFadyen's track vicinity. It includes :Food ; candles ; briquettes: kindling and firelighters for a snow camping /XC ski trip to Keppel's hut & LM in July.

#3 Mister Tee on XC Skis, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  4. beefa skiing

beefa skiing Hard Yards

Good work guys, while I enjoyed an extended family camp down at Aire River and some Great Ocean Walk track walking.